Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Help identifying this team (Moonlight Graham?) (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=243064)

kevlar7 08-01-2017 06:18 PM

Help identifying this team (Moonlight Graham?)

1 Attachment(s)
Looking for help identifying where this team may be from and possibly what year. Thanks for any insights you may have.

kevlar7 03-05-2018 01:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I was doing some research to see if the player in the on the front, right, might be Archibald (moonlight) Graham as I know he played in North Carolina. I have contacted UNC, a museum in Chisholm, MN, a historian from the Minnesota Historical Society, and one of the co-authors of the book Chasing Moonlight, Brett Friedlander. Brett said he is convinced it is Archibald Graham, but everyone one else said they can't be sure either way.

The one thing that is throwing me off is that the person in the photo is wearing catchers pads and I don't have any record of Graham playing catcher.

I'd love to know other peoples thoughts. Thanks.

quitcrab 03-05-2018 01:02 PM

Looks like a match to me. Good Luck

kevlar7 03-05-2018 01:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
a few other images at different ages for comparison.

brianp-beme 03-05-2018 01:37 PM

Only since I have been a Net54'er have I ever paid attention to anyone's ears, but it appears that Moonlight has a funky 'Spockian' pointy-ness to the top of his ears, whereas the team photo player in question has a well-rounded top of the ear.

Brian (I ear you loud and clear)

Huysmans 03-05-2018 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianp-beme (Post 1754290)
Only since I have been a Net54'er have I ever paid attention to anyone's ears, but it appears that Moonlight has a funky 'Spockian' pointy-ness to the top of his ears, whereas the team photo player in question has a well-rounded top of the ear.

Brian (I ear you loud and clear)

I agree. While his visage looks similar to those pictured of Graham, it appears the ears are not identical.

darwinbulldog 03-05-2018 01:48 PM

Not saying it's him necessarily, but if you go by the ears, he doesn't even match himself in the above photos. Only once was he Spockian.

darwinbulldog 03-05-2018 01:51 PM

Not saying it's him either, but the young guy looks as much like Honus Wagner as like Moonlight Graham to me.

I'm guessing it's neither of them, but I wouldn't be surprised if the resemblance was no closer with an actual photo of Graham at the same age.

chalupacollects 03-05-2018 02:01 PM

Kinda looks like Gomer Pyle...:p

packs 03-05-2018 02:07 PM

What would the connection be other than a team with NC on the jersey?

brianp-beme 03-05-2018 10:17 PM

The evolution of ears from a creationist standpoint

To expand on my previous statement about ears:

Before Net54: Ears created to assist humans in processing sound.

After Net54: Ears created solely for identification purposes for those comparing old photos of ballplayers who may or may not be famous.

Brian

seablaster 03-06-2018 02:51 AM

My opinion only, but I don't believe that's him.

The other evidence, as you suggested, needs to corroborate the identification. The UNC jerseys that I've seen from this time period don't resemble these at all and I don't believe it to be a Charlotte jersey either. These fellows don't appear to be a college or professional team. The catcher gear is also suggestive of another person.

Bpm0014 03-06-2018 07:35 AM

After Net54: Ears created solely for identification purposes for those comparing old photos of ballplayers who may or may not be famous.

Hahahahaha, how true!

bnorth 03-06-2018 07:39 AM

A little OT but I used to play cribbage with an older gentleman that grew up in Chisholm Minnesota and Moonlight Graham was his childhood doctor.

frankbmd 03-06-2018 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianp-beme (Post 1754521)
To expand on my previous statement about ears:

Brian

I'm deaf, but i'm keeping my ears as long as I'm on Net54.;)