Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   OT: Padres new outfield (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=198638)

bwbc917 12-19-2014 03:35 PM

OT: Padres new outfield

The Padres have swung deals to make a new OF of Matt Kemp, Justin Upton and Wil Myers. Can anyone remember a team remaking their OF in a single month like that??

Luke 12-19-2014 03:40 PM

I can't. It's pretty cool for their fans. Weird how none of their deals have included their current OFers. So they still have Smith, Venable, Maybin, and Quentin (I think they're all under contract but I could be wrong). The word up here in Seattle is that we may be trading a prospect for Smith and platooning him in RF. The Pads are going to have trouble getting value for their OFers since everyone knows they have to move a few of them.

Econteachert205 12-19-2014 03:43 PM

I'm hopeful for padres fans but very skeptical of the three players in question.

sycks22 12-19-2014 03:57 PM

They picked up Derek Norris from the A's as well. Another All-star added to the list, not bad

Fred 12-19-2014 05:36 PM

The Puds have a new GM and he realizes that you need to score more runs than the opposition to win games. Petco has been challenging to RH power hitters, so what's the new GM do? He picks up nothing but RH power hitters... It's a vast improvement over what they had so if Kemp isn't hurt too often and Wil Myers improves over last year then they have a good chance to score some runs. Upton should be a good addition. Defense should be intersting. That ballpark is pretty big and I'm not sure just how much ground those guys will cover. There are no gold gloves in the new OF.

Wow, Norris and Middlebrooks also picked up. This should be interesting. They have too many OFs and now they'll have to probably deal a few or move someone from OF to 1B because Yonder (No HR) Alonso has only 22 HRs in 1150 at bats while playing for the Puds. That just doesn't cut it for a corner IF without offering something else like BA or RBIs.

Overall, at least they seem more committed to improve for 2015 than they have in more years than I can remember.

Jobu 12-19-2014 05:51 PM

Both Kemp and Upton have played a lot of games in Petco with each having resided for many years in the NL West. Kemp's career OPS (214 ABs) at Petco is .867 while Upton's (172 ABs) is an even better .900. So Petco may be tough on righties, but these two guys seem to hit pretty well there.

As a fan of the Brewers, I am always happy when teams that struggle more often than not push all their chips in and go for it.

pgellis 12-19-2014 06:07 PM

Thank Santa Claus that Will Middlebrooks is gone. What a Stiff!

irishdenny 12-19-2014 06:16 PM

It's Nice to See the Padre's So Active!
Last year I kept my eye oN one of their Top Out Field Prospects,
RYMER LARIANO
They Brought him uP at the end of the year... I was lookiN forward to seeiN him Crush the Ball... Now, Their OF iS More than Full!!!

Peter_Spaeth 12-19-2014 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgellis (Post 1356859)
Thank Santa Claus that Will Middlebrooks is gone. What a Stiff!

Yeah his star sure diminished.

Fred 12-19-2014 07:15 PM

Hey Phil, I hope that Pablo signing is worth it. Now that he's got a big contract there's no reason for him to trim down and stay in prime playing shape. Middlebrooks may look like a good alternative by the time Pablo reports for spring training. He's probably going to eat his share of his new contract in the off season. Actually, I like Sandoval. I hope he does well for the Sox.

pgellis 12-19-2014 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred (Post 1356883)
Hey Phil, I hope that Pablo signing is worth it. Now that he's got a big contract there's no reason for him to trim down and stay in prime playing shape. Middlebrooks may look like a good alternative by the time Pablo reports for spring training. He's probably going to eat his share of his new contract in the off season. Actually, I like Sandoval. I hope he does well for the Sox.

Not real crazy about Kung Fu Panda, but I think he will play a ton harder than Middlebrooks. Never cared for him and think the Sox gave him every chance. Just not talented enough.

Peter_Spaeth 12-19-2014 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgellis (Post 1356889)
Not real crazy about Kung Fu Panda, but I think he will play a ton harder than Middlebrooks. Never cared for him and think the Sox gave him every chance. Just not talented enough.

I don't get the Sandoval thing. .280 hitter with 12-14-16 HR and 79 or fewer RBI the past three years.

boneheadandrube 12-19-2014 08:13 PM

[QUOTE=Jobu;1356849]Both Kemp and Upton have played a lot of games in Petco with each having resided for many years in the NL West. Kemp's career OPS (214 ABs) at Petco is .867 while Upton's (172 ABs) is an even better .900. So Petco may be tough on righties, but these two guys seem to hit pretty well there.QUOTE]

Too bad they won't be batting against their own pitching staff...just a thought.

CMIZ5290 12-19-2014 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwbc917 (Post 1356772)
The Padres have swung deals to make a new OF of Matt Kemp, Justin Upton and Wil Myers. Can anyone remember a team remaking their OF in a single month like that??

No, but Justin Upton is overrated big time. Also, why in the hell didn't his worthless sack of s*** brother go with the trade???

Fred 12-19-2014 09:04 PM

Because the Puds already have a few BJ Upton clones on the roster....

Brian Van Horn 12-19-2014 09:43 PM

I just hope the arthritis in both hips doesn't turn Kemp into a bust.

freakhappy 12-19-2014 10:24 PM

World Series time for the padres? :)

Baseball is heating up and I'm very glad to see teams that usually blow, active on the free agent market and try to improve. Cubs, white sox, marlins and padres are all making moves and I bet one or more of these teams will be in or close to the playoffs next season. That being said...pitching is still the key and if they neglect it, picking up offense won't matter too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

packs 12-19-2014 10:42 PM

Padres are making some good moves but can they overcome being the Padres?

clydepepper 12-19-2014 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Van Horn (Post 1356954)
I just hope the arthritis in both hips doesn't turn Kemp into a bust.

Finally, a player who I can really identify. There is NO pain like hip pain...I have had kidney stones and a herniated disc in my back...neither came close.

I do like the players the Braves got for Upton.

Just one more bad Frank Wren contract to go...but, I think they're stuck with that one - may have to just release him like Uggla and eat that money too.

pclpads 12-20-2014 01:13 AM

The next Pud blockbuster signing is rumored to be the Garv . . . to fill in at 1st until they figure out how to resurrect Gehrig. :D

ooo-ribay 12-21-2014 06:39 PM

Kemp and Upton ought to create a toxic clubhouse......I hope!

tbob 12-22-2014 12:01 PM

All 3 can hit but I don't know who is going to catch the ball. All 3 are below average defensively and their new catcher allows over 90% of base runners to advance.
Maybe their offense productivity will outweigh the defensive woes, we'll see..

Fred 12-22-2014 02:55 PM

It aint spring yet..... I wonder was else Preller has in mind.... maybe he reads the N54 board (and other boards) and is figuring out that the offense may not set off the lack of defense... (NOT)...:p All I can say is that it's nice to see a low budget (aka small market) team make some moves to improve rather than remain stagnant...

bwbc917 12-23-2014 08:59 AM

Myers moving on

Now come reports that Myers is moving east for pitching. That would open a spot for Rymer Liriano or Smith.