Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   N352 - Fine Colored Relief Cards - Consolidated Cigarette Co. (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=205214)

alan1899 04-30-2015 10:40 AM

N352 - Fine Colored Relief Cards - Consolidated Cigarette Co.

I am new to this forum, so please forgive me if i'm going over old ground.

I've recently become interested in the N352 set. I've included all I know in a post on my blog.

Consolidated Cigarette Co. / Paxi Cigarettes - N352 Fine Colored Relief Cards

I'd be glad to hear from anyone who can provide further information or illustrations,

Alan

Leon 05-01-2015 09:00 PM

There isn't a ton of info about them and i think i forgot what I knew :). Another board member and myself split a lot of 4 of them quite a few years ago, then we eventually each sold them some time later. They are kind of crudely made and neat.

1880nonsports 05-02-2015 10:00 AM

imteresting cards

quite an unusual and laborious production idea and a type I'm missing from my "accumulation". Thanks for the share and the link.....

Leon 05-04-2015 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1880nonsports (Post 1407198)
quite an unusual and laborious production idea and a type I'm missing from my "accumulation". Thanks for the share and the link.....

I remember studying them closely when I had them, physically speaking...and as stated they are definitely Raphael Tuck issues pasted onto a card with an advertising back and an ornate frame on front. It reminds me of other issues that turn one thing into another, such as Old Put stamps on E98's, essentially making them tobacco cards. These blank front cards probably started out with the Raphael Tuck series in mind though and I think eventually we will find others. I haven't seen very many in close to 20 yrs. Actually, I am not sure I have seen any others. And as for value, they don't come close to their value in rarity, imo. Rarity doesn't always equate to value. I have long said that the demand side of the equation is far more important, with respect to cards. The Pittsburgh card last sold for $644, 6 yrs ago.

alan1899 05-04-2015 09:09 AM

Hi Leon

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I've seen one other card, showing a rugby player.

Some people seem to say that the footballers that are holding the footballs are playing the American version of football, but as the 'scraps' were printed in Germany for Rapahel Tuck, who was based in London, I think it only fair to say that these are actually rugby players.

I'm still hopeful of getting permission to include the rugby player on my blog. If I do I'll include a link here.

I've also got a scan of an uncut sheet of Jockeys, but without seeing at least one Consolidated Cigarette card it's not possible to confirm whether this is the actual sheet they they used to create the Jockey cards.

Likewise, I've also got a sheet of Soldiers of England, though Tuck produced many different ones, as they must have been a favourite subject for many small boys, but again, it's impossible to do any further research without seeing at least one of the cards.

Alan

autograf 05-04-2015 11:51 AM

Very cool cards.....would love to have a type for my typecard collection. Should have bought one when they were available......

brass_rat 12-05-2015 04:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just to add to this thread -- I was able to pick up the N352 Boston player (as pictured on Alan's site and from the original Lew Lipset group).

Bought it raw but I had it graded for ease of display/storage. :)

Cheers,
Steve

rjackson44 12-05-2015 05:30 PM

agree with tom pretty cards. love to own for my type collection.

autograf 12-05-2015 08:45 PM

Was fortunate to pick this one up in the last month. A great add to my typecard list. He's a jockey.....

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-b7...o/IMG_7337.JPG http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-9Y...o/IMG_7338.JPG

brass_rat 12-06-2015 09:15 AM

Great card, Tom!

Also, Alan -- thanks for sharing your blog post -- very nice. (You could update your checklist with Tom's jockey "Seldom out of the Saddle"...)

Cheers,
Steve

Quote:

Originally Posted by autograf (Post 1479014)
Was fortunate to pick this one up in the last month. A great add to my typecard list. He's a jockey.....

alan1899 05-10-2023 06:06 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I've been meaning to add these for some time. A complete sheet of Raphael Tuck baseball players and individual images of the 10 cards.

Can anyone confirm any Consolidated Cigarette Co. cards beside the Boston and Pittsburg cards?

BillyCoxDodgers3B 05-10-2023 07:18 AM

Some of the artwork is nice, others not so much.

I'd personally have zero interest in owning anything that didn't depict an actual player. Generic material holds no fascination. I could understand others having opposing thoughts, however.

Casey2296 05-10-2023 07:46 AM

I'm not familiar with the issue, what year were they manufactured?

Edit; never mind, just read the rest of the post.