Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Anyone Collect Post/Jello Cards? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=150340)

Exhibitman 04-23-2012 10:37 AM

Anyone Collect Post/Jello Cards?

Just curious. I picked up a big pile of 62s and 63s from Post recently and wanted to get some perspectives on filling in sets. I know there are SPs from crappy cereals but are they do-able SPs or are they impossible SPs like the 1967 Atlantic Oil contest SPs? I tried that set and have simply given up after being counseled by a few long-time dealer/collectors that the Atlantic SPs are nearly impossible to find.

mikeakac2 04-23-2012 02:01 PM

Ive been casually putting a set of 62 post together. I have just been picking them up at shows when I see them for cheap. You can get most of the cards for $1-$3. The real big stars are a little more. The hardest cards are the blue line variation for clemente and koufax but there are usually a few on ebay. The other two harder cards are the mantle and maris which were inserts in Life magazine. These 2 are also regularly on ebay.

autograf 04-23-2012 02:35 PM

I'm at 96/200 on the 1961 set...........nothing too hard so far....just have a few 1962's. I just pick them up when I can on the cheap....occasional lot on ebay for less than $1.00 a card really clean........

bradmar48 04-23-2012 04:28 PM

I completed both the 61 and 62 set.The Chuck Stobbs card was the last
I found to complete the 1961 set. The Joe Adcock variation was the last
card I found to complete the 1962 set.Most of the rest of the cards didn't take long to find. You will have to decide if it make a difference to you whether the 61s you collect are box cards or company cards or a mixture. The only difference is the thickness of the card stock.

carrigansghost 04-23-2012 04:53 PM

I have 100 or so kicking around here from the years. A few of the hard variations. Send me a pm. All are from the boxes and very well cut.

Rawn

dacubfan 04-24-2012 09:18 PM

I was able to complete all three sets many years ago and the '63 set is definitely the most difficult with many SP's. The '63 Aspromonte is without a doubt the most difficult card in any of the 3 sets.

HRBAKER 04-25-2012 12:44 AM

Adam,
Built a '62 set one card at a time. Don't remember it being particularly tough at all.

David W 04-25-2012 05:37 AM

I've got 61,62,63 all over half done, in all kinds of condition.

Every time I think I'd like to put all 3 sets together I get sidetracked on something else.

One of my collecting goals for last year was to complete them, but it never got done, although I'm sure it could have been done quite easily.

AustinMike 04-28-2012 06:23 AM

I've completed the '61 and '62 sets and just need the Jerry Adair to complete the '63 set. I picked up the '63 Aspromonte card recently, I think that's the hardest one to get (and naturally the most expensive of the base cards). I've also got about 2/3 of the '62 Canadian Post and about 1/3 of the '63 Jello. I only have one or two of the '62 Jello. I think the '62 Jello would be the most difficult to complete and am not even going to try it.

I'm thinking now that I may try to upgrade many of the cards that I do have. The Post cards are some of the first ones I picked up many years ago and some of the cards are not cut very well and a few have creases. Plus, I do have a few of the variations but I may try to get them all (like the three blue-line NL '62 cards and both box and company '61 cards).

Anyway, it should be easy and not too expensive to put together base sets of the '61, '62, and '63 Post sets. The '63 will definitely be the hardest. Have fun!!

hoot-owl 04-28-2012 07:10 AM

absolutely doable

The 1962 Post set is probably the easiest of the sets to complete. The SPs are reasonably priced and none of them are prohibitively expensive. 1961 comes in second place--with a few of the company only cards a bit pricey (Stobbs and Estrada are the two toughies). The 63 Jello and Post sets both have some hard to find SPs. There are probably ten or twelve tough SPs in the Post set with Yaz, Aspromonte and Adair being the hardest to find(--in my opinion at any rate). There are at least 40SPs in the Jello set--I can't say any of them are harder than any other, but it takes time to track all of them down. It is easier to put together a composite set of Jello/Post--because the Curt Flood, Yaz, Lumpe, Jiminez and Jim Bunning cards are pretty easy to find on the Jello side of the equation and SPs on the Post side. Aspromonte, Adair and Billy Williams are tough in both sets.

The 62 Post Canadian set has some almost impossible short prints--Berra, Rocky Bridges, Tasby, Romano, Dick Williams, Hal Smith among others. You can pick up the first 150 easily--and then the quest stalls.

And finally the 1962 Jello is flat out tough. The book is completely off on valuations and the last 30-40 cards are really hard to track down. It is much easier to find cards of the stars of the day than it is the common players. You will see many more Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, Ernie Banks, Frank Robinson and Joey Jay cards than Alex Grammas, Hal Smith and Vern Laws.