Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Baseball Trophy - UPDATED 6/4/17 To clean or not to clean (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=235142)

ruth-gehrig 02-10-2017 05:03 AM

Baseball Trophy - UPDATED 6/4/17 To clean or not to clean

2 Attachment(s)
Recently picked up this baseball trophy, measures 15 inches tall, and have two questions.....

To clean or not to clean? And if to clean any suggestions about how to go about it?

I used some silver polish on a smaller area on base as you can see in the second photo and it cleaned up nicely.

vintagesportscollector 02-10-2017 05:46 AM

Very nice trophy, Mike. I would clean it, and I have Carbona Precious Metal Wipes to be quite effective.

bobfreedman 02-10-2017 08:52 AM

Cleaning

1 Attachment(s)
I would clean it, I just finished cleaning this one myself

khkco4bls 02-10-2017 08:54 AM

Clean away...

perezfan 02-10-2017 10:45 AM

Agree.... clean it :)

Nice pickup!

mjkm90 02-10-2017 11:10 AM

clean it, but understand it's missing a fair bit of its silver, so don't expect it to look new all over. Its a great trophy by the way.

ruth-gehrig 02-10-2017 11:30 AM

Thanks guys! It seems that the concensus is to clean this thing up. And yes Mike the missing silver has me a bit concerned as to what the final product will look like.

ruth-gehrig 02-11-2017 01:05 PM

update

1 Attachment(s)
Just got done cleaning it and it turned out better than I expected. Thanks for the advice! :)

perezfan 02-11-2017 01:43 PM

Infinitely better.... nice work!

tcornett 02-11-2017 02:03 PM

Wow, that hardly looks like the same trophy, nice work!

kdixon 02-11-2017 02:42 PM

Looks great.

ooo-ribay 02-11-2017 03:00 PM

Great job! What does the trophy commemorate?

WillowGrove 02-11-2017 03:15 PM

Great job! Way to see the beauty through the dirt and grime.

mjkm90 02-11-2017 04:10 PM

Beautiful :D

ruth-gehrig 02-11-2017 06:49 PM

Thanks for the kind words guys. :) There were several areas of the trophy, most notably directly under the baseball on the base, that I didnt think would shine up very well because I thought the silver was missing.

As Mike pointed out there would be areas of missing silver so it wouldn't look new even if cleaned. Silver loss was actually minimal but enough to tell that it's still old. The end result is exactly the look I was after.

The trophy is for Ashtabula County League Sons of Italy #1169 Champions of 1931. Ashtabula county is located in Ohio.

Scott Garner 02-12-2017 04:58 AM

Terrific result!! :cool:

sporteq 02-12-2017 10:54 AM

Wow- amazing results! I have the same exact trophy I believe. Its made by Goldsmith Sporting Goods. I have a black base on mine.. dated 1931

CamaroCPA 02-12-2017 02:31 PM

Genuinely curious: would someone explain why cleaning the tarnish off this trophy not be considered that cardinal sin of removing the patina from any other antique, thereby reducing its value?! (It's beautiful by the way!) Thanks!

ooo-ribay 02-12-2017 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroCPA (Post 1630140)
Genuinely curious: would someone explain why cleaning the tarnish off this trophy not be considered that cardinal sin of removing the patina from any other antique, thereby reducing its value?! (It's beautiful by the way!) Thanks!

All you ever hear on Antiques Roadshow is "don't clean, don't clean, don't clean"....except when it comes to silver. I have no idea why. Come to think of it, I think the experts are OK with cleaning brass, too.

ruth-gehrig 06-04-2017 06:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My latest trophy project. This one was a bit more challenging in the sense that I had to approach this one completely differently. Instead of being able to gently clean this one with silver cleaner like I did the first one, this was more of a science experiment. Perhaps the silver plating was too thin on this trophy but I couldn't even "gentle clean" without losing plating and luster. My other approach, God Bless the internet :p, involved aluminum foil, baking soda, salt, and near boiling water
http://www.doityourself.com/stry/how...r-plated-items
The darkened areas that are still present in the after picture arent tarnish but rather missing silver plating.

Leon 06-04-2017 06:38 PM

Nicely done. Thanks for sharing.

ruth-gehrig 06-04-2017 07:16 PM

Thank you! I think these are fun because when they are so tarnished and dirty it's difficult to guess how much they will eventually clean up. Its pretty easy to do actually but if anyone is about to do one themselves and have any questions just hit me up.
Michael

CarltonHendricks 06-05-2017 12:01 PM

congrats

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruth-gehrig (Post 1667553)
Thank you! I think these are fun because when they are so tarnished and dirty it's difficult to guess how much they will eventually clean up. Its pretty easy to do actually but if anyone is about to do one themselves and have any questions just hit me up.
Michael

What did you use to clean it?....BTW nice pick up...

ruth-gehrig 06-05-2017 12:16 PM

Thanks Carlton. Its basically a soak method that I followed from here http://www.doityourself.com/stry/how...r-plated-items because I was losing silver plating with my previous method of using light elbow grease. Now it did take several soaks with all new material but it did work. Combination of near boiling water, several tablespoons of baking soda and a pinch of salt with trophy being in contact with a good size piece of aluminium foil. The website makes note to say that the boiling water may break weak contact points such as solder areas so thats something to be cautious about.

CarltonHendricks 06-05-2017 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruth-gehrig (Post 1667726)
Thanks Carlton. Its basically a soak method that I followed from here http://www.doityourself.com/stry/how...r-plated-items because I was losing silver plating with my previous method of using light elbow grease. Now it did take several soaks with all new material but it did work. Combination of near boiling water, several tablespoons of baking soda and a pinch of salt with trophy being in contact with a good size piece of aluminium foil. The website makes note to say that the boiling water may break weak contact points such as solder areas so thats something to be cautious about.

I've heard that method causes a slight dullness...Long time ago I did that and I think it does...Just an FYI....probably something about it on the net...

ruth-gehrig 06-05-2017 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarltonHendricks (Post 1667879)
I've heard that method causes a slight dullness...Long time ago I did that and I think it does...Just an FYI....probably something about it on the net...

Not that I notice on this piece but not saying it doesn't happen. I've read that salt is a bit harsh on silver plating so perhaps that what it is related to.