Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Scott Hassel - Be careful before doing business with (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=254415)

bobfreedman 04-30-2018 12:02 PM

Scott Hassel - Be careful before doing business with

His eBay ID is mr.ginter

I purchased an item off of eBay and he insisted on waiting until my check cleared before sending item which i thought was wrong because we were both trying to be trustful of each other. Warning flag #1. I agreed to buy the item and agreed that the only way that I could return was if it was a repro, mistake #2. I received the item and not only was it not described accurately, it had far more damage (water) than he indicated and was repaired in multiple areas of the item. He now refuses to refund money and yes, I know I agreed to the terms (mainly I could only return the item if it was a repro) however, given the condition and many issues of the sign, I feel he should either let me return the item or refund me some of my money. Either way, I would be very careful of him and any of his items.

Bob Freedman

Bugsy 04-30-2018 12:07 PM

I have actually never heard of anyone shipping an item before a check clears. Maybe if the two parties know each other well. Other than that, waiting for a check to clear is normal. If someone were to ship and the check bounces, the seller has little recourse. Can't speak to the rest of the transaction though.

bobfreedman 04-30-2018 12:14 PM

Transaction

Chris, you are correct however, I thought that trust, in this situation is a two way street because now, I have no recourse either. I can certainly understand your point of view however

Bugsy 04-30-2018 12:27 PM

It happened to me once as well. It was an out-and-out fraud. I tried to resolve the issue several different ways, but ended up calling the person's local police department to have them investigate. It was a long process, but I did get my money back. I have been reluctant to use checks for these types of transactions ever since.

Huysmans 04-30-2018 02:11 PM

Hey Bob,

you mentioned a sign, but I'm wondering what the item is, if you don't mind me asking?

bobfreedman 04-30-2018 03:09 PM

Sign

A Hank Gowdy Tuxedo sign

Exhibitman 05-01-2018 11:39 AM

Long been on my 'avoid' list.

Joe_G. 05-01-2018 08:46 PM

The title of this thread really got my attention . . .

I've been dabbling in cigarette packs over the last couple years and have gotten to know mr.ginter (Scott Hassel). I've purchased better than a dozen items from him, some over eBay, others directly, and I have had nothing but positive experiences. Of more value than the items I've purchased is the mentoring he has graciously extended. He has gone above and beyond what I would expect. Sorry to hear of your troubles Bob. I hope the two of you will find a fair and mutually satisfying solution.

Leon 05-01-2018 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 1772141)
Long been on my 'avoid' list.

I think he is an A-hole and he has been banned from this site for a good while.

And I have bought thousands of dollars of packs from him, never again. A real jerk in my book.
I remember when he tried to report me to me LOL. I think he thought we were still hosted by network54 but we were on our new platform. I love it when someone reports yourself to yourself.

hcv123 05-01-2018 10:33 PM

Don't know any of the parties....

1 - Agree that if you are paying by check and I don;t know you well, I'm holding item till check clears. I would never agree to only return something (presuming digital images exclusively were all I had to go on) if it were fake - even well meaning individuals can take an unusually good picture that misses some relevant defect. I'd sooner agree to disagree and move on if a seller was insistent on that term.

Sorry you had the situation - Hope it works out and sounds like the sellers reputation precedes him.

ramram 05-02-2018 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1772326)
I think he is an A-hole and he has been banned from this site for a good while.

And I have bought thousands of dollars of packs from him, never again. A real jerk in my book.
I remember when he tried to report me to me LOL. I think he thought we were still hosted by network54 but we were on our new platform. I love it when someone reports yourself to yourself.

LOL!!!

I'm guessing you investigated both parties before you came to your conclusion? :D

Rob M

gregr2 05-02-2018 10:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by leon (Post 1772326)
i think he is an a-hole and he has been banned from this site for a good while.

And i have bought thousands of dollars of packs from him, never again. A real jerk in my book.
I remember when he tried to report me to me lol. I think he thought we were still hosted by network54 but we were on our new platform. I love it when someone reports yourself to yourself.

Attachment 314421

packs 05-02-2018 11:26 AM

I thought accepting payments in any form but through Paypal was against eBay terms of service?

Leon 05-02-2018 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1772454)
I thought accepting payments in any form but through Paypal was against eBay terms of service?

No, only some form of online payments, I believe. And in the not distance future ebay will break most ties with paypal altogether.

Btw, my vitriol for the subject matter stems from him calling out Doug Allen on the board. He did it anonymously. I scrambled his name but put it next to his post, per the rules. Then he got crazy.

Griffins 05-02-2018 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1772326)
I love it when someone reports yourself to yourself.

Kinda like when Bruce threatened to sue himself.

Jim65 05-02-2018 12:09 PM

If a seller asked me to any other way than PayPal, I would say "no thanks" and move on, I do not give up my buyer protection, period.

gnaz01 05-02-2018 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by griffins (Post 1772465)
kinda like when bruce threatened to sue himself.

exactly!! #archive :D

drcy 05-03-2018 12:40 AM

I remember when a guy tried to sell me something via email, not realizing that the owner of the site he stole the image from was me.

Then there was the time the guy was trying raise the price by quoting what "another" guy via emailed offered, when the other guy was me. He didn't notice that the "two guys" had the same name and email address.

Good times.

steve B 05-04-2018 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drcy (Post 1772695)
I remember when a guy tried to sell me something via email, not realizing that the owner of the site he stole the image from was me.

Then there was the time the guy was trying raise the price by quoting what "another" guy via emailed offered, when the other guy was me. He didn't notice that the "two guys" had the same name and email address.

Good times.

Those are funny.

I came pretty close one time. I was telling someone about a part in a book where the author talked about how different collectors viewed either keeping a collection together by getting it into a library, or having it sold and dispersed to new collectors.
Then she told me she was familiar with it since her son had written the book I was talking about....