Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Glue removal (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=246601)

PiratesWS1979 10-23-2017 04:05 PM

Glue removal

Anyone have good advice on removing glue from a '48 Leaf? The regular soaking tricks will not budge this stuff!!

Leon 10-23-2017 04:35 PM

Some glues are almost impossible to remove. I have never tried anything but water. IF that doesn't work then the glue is permanent, to me.

SMPEP 10-23-2017 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1713204)
Some glues are almost impossible to remove. I have never tried anything but water. IF that doesn't work then the glue is permanent, to me.

+1

robw1959 10-23-2017 06:39 PM

If it's rubber cement, there's a product called Doc Edington's rubber cement thinner that is formulated to dissolve rubber cement without damaging any paper involved.

alexanderautographs 10-24-2017 04:36 PM

If it's a valuable item, bring it to a restorer and don't f_ck with it. Lesser items, try "Goof Off" or lighter fluid or some other highly volatile substance...and don't puff your see-gar while cleaning unless you want your heavenly reward.

If the paper is already stained or damaged, then you really need a conservator - some of them work wonders.

T205 GB 10-25-2017 06:53 AM

#4 and #5. You are telling a fellow board member to deliberately alter a card. Something we all here very diligently try to prevent. Its one thing to give it a bath in some water for a light soiling but anything past that point is pretty much altering IMO. I hope the OP has plans to keep the card or give a full disclosure if he does clean it.

MikeGarcia 10-25-2017 09:34 AM

Uhhhhh....

Quote:

Originally Posted by T205 GB (Post 1713695)
#4 and #5. You are telling a fellow board member to deliberately alter a card. Something we all here very diligently try to prevent. Its one thing to give it a bath in some water for a light soiling but anything past that point is pretty much altering IMO. I hope the OP has plans to keep the card or give a full disclosure if he does clean it.

..water is a chemical...

PiratesWS1979 10-25-2017 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T205 GB (Post 1713695)

If warm water does not lessen the appearance of the glue, it will just have to stay. My only regret is there was a small area of paper loss when first removed. Thanks for the ideas.

T205 GB 10-25-2017 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeGarcia (Post 1713768)
..water is a chemical...

Yes it is. The cards are technically chemicals also.

Leon 10-27-2017 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PiratesWS1979 (Post 1713773)
If warm water does not lessen the appearance of the glue, it will just have to stay. My only regret is there was a small area of paper loss when first removed. Thanks for the ideas.

The resulting paper loss issue is ALWAYS my concern when trying to get something off of a card. It is the reason I pass on quite a few cards too. Ya' never know what is going to happen, for certain, when trying to remove anything from a card. A lot of times more comes off than hoped for. :eek: