Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Help with 1936 Football photo: Navy vs Notre Dame (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=230794)

Runscott 11-04-2016 03:34 PM

Help with 1936 Football photo: Navy vs Notre Dame

I need to know the colors that each team was wearing during the game. Here's what I know/don't know:

(guy running the ball is Notre Dame - Simonich)
  • ND helmet: mustard with black stripes
  • ND jersey: probably darkish green, as they were known to pull out the green if their blue clashed with the opposing team
  • ND pants: gold
  • ND shoulder yoke: white
  • Navy pants: probably light gold, but unsure
  • Navy jerseys: probably Navy
  • Navy helmets: no idea. Part is probably navy, but could by two colors

Leon 11-05-2016 07:05 AM

They look black, white and gray to me. Does that help, Scott? Hey, I figure a bump to the question could get someone motivated who knows the answer!!

Runscott 11-05-2016 12:33 PM

I appreciate it Leon. Like most of my questions/observations, this one is obviously too esoteric for this forum.

ramram 11-05-2016 02:37 PM

I would think there would be some program collectors on here who have colored art on the covers showing the uniforms of these teams during this period. Unfortunately early football collectors are a little scarce.

Rob M

smotan_02 11-05-2016 03:21 PM

I have several Army-Navy and Army-Notre Dame programs from this time. Covers are often not of the players in uniform but of fans or the cadets themselves. All the player/uniform photos inside are b&w. I just flipped through the 35/36/37/38 programs a few minutes ago with no luck. Sorry Scott

Runscott 11-05-2016 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smotan_02 (Post 1599876)
I have several Army-Navy and Army-Notre Dame programs from this time. Covers are often not of the players in uniform but of fans or the cadets themselves. All the player/uniform photos inside are b&w. I just flipped through the 35/36/37/38 programs a few minutes ago with no luck. Sorry Scott

I really appreciate your looking - thanks!

I need the colors for a painting I am doing, but it's not going to be anything all that great, so colors don't have to be perfect. I've picked out all colors except Navy's helmet, which I'm leaning toward just making ... Navy.

ramram 11-05-2016 05:58 PM

I say...go with purple. Sounds like nobody will know the difference.

smotan_02 11-05-2016 11:01 PM

So this question has filled way more of my evening that I expected it to, but here are a few of my thoughts.

Here are is the best I could find that looks like it matches the ND uniform. (note: biggest change would be a green stripe on helmet)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOTRE-DAME-V...AAAOSw-CpX97R~

As for the Navy uniform, I could not find anything that showcased that era.
I believe you are correct that the uniform tops and socks are navy blue, the pants are brown, and I believe their helmet is just standard dark brown leather helmets. I don't believe Navy had colored helmets as their home jersey was blue and their away jersey was (usually) white.

Runscott 11-06-2016 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smotan_02 (Post 1599967)
So this question has filled way more of my evening that I expected it to, but here are a few of my thoughts.

Here are is the best I could find that looks like it matches the ND uniform. (note: biggest change would be a green stripe on helmet)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOTRE-DAME-V...AAAOSw-CpX97R~

As for the Navy uniform, I could not find anything that showcased that era.
I believe you are correct that the uniform tops and socks are navy blue, the pants are brown, and I believe their helmet is just standard dark brown leather helmets. I don't believe Navy had colored helmets as their home jersey was blue and their away jersey was (usually) white.

Thanks. The green in that program looks great and reasonable - I'll go with it. I know it sounds odd, but the Notre Dame helmet stripe was black as opposed to green or blue. I went through that research about 15 years ago when I purchased a late 1940's helmet that one of the major auction houses wanted to sell as a Notre Dame gamer, but the stripe was dark blue.

Regarding the Navy helmet, the more I look at it, the more I'm thinking that the bottom and front were a darker color than the top - maybe dark brown and a lighter brown? - but lighter tone than the jersey. I'm working on some color studies today and will just go with whatever looks the most interesting and is still within the realm of possibility.

Thanks again - have a great Sunday.

Hot Springs Bathers 11-07-2016 04:08 PM

Sorry to be so late to the thread but does anyone know if Bill Farmer of Midwest Sports Books in South Bend is still around? He might know the answer, he was amazing on Notre Dame stuff and had everything in his warehouse!

thenavarro 11-07-2016 08:43 PM

Scott,

You might try a guy named Jim Augustine at Augie's Locker Room. (You can find contact info via google) Or, try the Notre Dame Sports Information Department and see if someone there will help you. When I was a student worker there in 92, the director was John Heisler and he was pretty sharp and loved ND. I think he is still with the university in some capacity so he might be able to help you as well.

Good luck,

Mike

Runscott 11-08-2016 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenavarro (Post 1600485)
Scott,

You might try a guy named Jim Augustine at Augie's Locker Room. (You can find contact info via google) Or, try the Notre Dame Sports Information Department and see if someone there will help you. When I was a student worker there in 92, the director was John Heisler and he was pretty sharp and loved ND. I think he is still with the university in some capacity so he might be able to help you as well.

Good luck,

Mike

Thanks Mike.