Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Antiques Roadshow (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=86737)

Archive 08-31-2007 09:19 AM

Antiques Roadshow

Posted By: <b>David Goff</b><p>I was watching Antiques Roadshow the other day on PBS and an elderly lady had 3 baseballs that her husband had signed back in the 20's and 30's. Her husband lived across the street from Yankee Stadium and had team signed balls from '27, '31, and I believe '38 Yankees. They were appraised for $35,000-$45,000 for all 3 together. Anyway, it made me wonder if there was anyone on the board that traveled or did any appraising for the roadshow. <br /><br /><br />The '27 and '31 balls were the best the appraiser had ever seen before....

Archive 08-31-2007 09:28 AM

Antiques Roadshow

Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>I saw that segment, and it was Simeon Lipman who did the appraisal. I don't think any board members have been on the show.

Archive 08-31-2007 09:29 AM

Antiques Roadshow

Posted By: <b>JimB</b><p>I heard that Doug Allen or someone at Mastro had done it, but I have not seen it myself. <br /><br />A friend told me, back in 1996 that he saw an episode in which somebody found a pristine (probably factory set) of 1915 CJs. He proceeded to make a "nice" display by gluing them onto some kind of matt and framing it. He then brought his display, of which he was so proud, to the antique roadshow where he was told that before gluing the cards, they were worth about 100k, but now they were worth about 5k. He just about had a heart attack on the spot.<br />JimB

Archive 08-31-2007 09:31 AM

Antiques Roadshow

Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>I saw that one too Jim, but don't recall that he did the gluing. I thought he found them that way.

Archive 08-31-2007 09:53 AM

Antiques Roadshow

Posted By: <b>Dan Bretta</b><p>I went to the Roadshow about three years ago...I took a book of cards filled with T206 and Old Judges and a few caramel cards, but Simeon Lipman told me basically that I knew too much about them and I didn't "find" them. So it wasn't something that would make the show. <br /><br />People are allowed to bring two items in to have them appraised and I will just say that I think Simeon Lipman knows his stuff, but there are people working for that show that are complete imbeciles. I took two old Nodders -Kruschev and Castro that were dead mint condition and some lady from Boston (Can't remember her name right now, but I still see her occasionally on the show) watched me carefully unwrap them from bubble wrap and tissue and the first thing she did when I handed one to her was start shaking it very hard...I grabbed it back and said "please don't do that". She told me they were "contemporary and worth about 10 bucks apiece"....I just laughed at her and asked if Ted Hake was around. Unfortunately he wasn't on that leg of the Roadshow tour or I think these might have made it onto the show. I ended up selling these two nodders in an online auction house (Nodder exchange) and got about $2500 for the pair. Be careful if you take fragile items as there are signs everywhere that say they are not responsible for your items being broken. The guy in line in front of me took in a beer sign that the "appraiser" was having a hard time dating - It had a freaking NRA sticker on the back which would have put it in the 1930s. I knew I was in the wrong line when I witnessed that.

Archive 08-31-2007 10:01 AM

Antiques Roadshow

Posted By: <b>John H.</b><p>I would have loved to have seen the guy's face if he was the one who mounted the cards.<br /><br />I saw a segment where someone had a bunch of unopened 1959 Topps Football cello packs.<br /><br />John

Archive 08-31-2007 11:41 AM

Antiques Roadshow

Posted By: <b>DD</b><p>Phil Weiss has chimed in on the board in the past. He is a frequent appraiser on the Roadshow, but usually not for sports items.

Archive 08-31-2007 12:51 PM

Antiques Roadshow

Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>Mike Gutierrez has been an appraiser on there. Leila Dunbar, who's in charge of Sotheby's sports, is on there often. Lipman did when he worked for Mastro, then later when he worked for Lelands.

Archive 08-31-2007 12:53 PM

Antiques Roadshow

Posted By: <b>Dan Bretta</b><p>I saw a recent show with Lipman that had him appraising a 1933 AL All Star team signed ball and it said he works for another auction house now...I can't recall the name and it was one I had never heard of before.

Archive 08-31-2007 01:22 PM

Antiques Roadshow

Posted By: <b>Bob</b><p>I think it would be great to get an old shoebox, fill it with T204, 205, 206, 207 sets (after breaking them out of the slabs) and wander in with a look of innocence on your face and ask, "gee, are these worth anything?"

Archive 08-31-2007 01:43 PM

Antiques Roadshow

Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>"No, but that Confederate general's coat you're wearing might be."

Archive 08-31-2007 01:45 PM

Antiques Roadshow

Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>Not baseball related, but I had a friend make it on the show with a Civil War sword he found behind a wall in the house he bought and remodeled in VA. He said he about died of a heart attack when they said the sword was worth more than his house.<br /><br />Jay<br><br>The richest person is not the one who has the most, but the one who needs the least.