Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Any Game of Thrones Fans? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=221500)

clydepepper 04-24-2016 07:09 AM

Any Game of Thrones Fans?

I'd call myself a BIG fan, just short of fanatical - and I anxiously await the new season's first episode tonight.

I do wonder if this season will keep up with the high quality of prior seasons in spite of the fact that Mr. Martin could not write quickly enough to have more material to base it on.

My phone will officially be off the hook at 9:00 PM ET!

gnaz01 04-24-2016 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 1531118)
I'd call myself a BIG fan, just short of fanatical - and I anxiously await the new season's first episode tonight.

I do wonder if this season will keep up with the high quality of prior seasons in spite of the fact that Mr. Martin could not write quickly enough to have more material to base it on.

My phone will officially be off the hook at 9:00 PM ET!

Mine too!! HUGE FAN!!!!!

the 'stache 04-25-2016 03:45 PM

Yup.

chaddurbin 04-25-2016 04:24 PM

I dont know grrm is too rich, too old, and enjoying life too much to lock himself in a room and attempt to solve the massive puzzle he has created...im not sure he has it in him anymore.

He may just let the show bring an ending to the series and satisfy the fans and leave it at that...at this point hes probably not as invested as the readers out there.

clydepepper 04-25-2016 08:54 PM

I think I was expecting too much and came away a little disappointed with this first 'solo' episode. I'll try to reserve judgment as the stories play out.
Question of the Week:

Will the Red Woman resurrect John Snow?

- or did Kit Harrington already leave the show?

4815162342 04-28-2016 09:41 AM

Brienne and Podrick showing up at exactly the right moment was a little too convenient. The Red Woman reveal almost made me regurgitate. Though most everyone seems to hate Dorne, the Mutiny of the Dornish Hens might breathe new life into that subplot. Arya's Karate Kid/Bloodsport-esque training should be interesting. All in all, I'd give the ep a B-.

clydepepper 04-30-2016 11:41 AM

The Red-Headed Bearded Wilding guy is doing Windham Hotel Rewards commercials. Is he selling out? :cool:

the 'stache 05-03-2016 03:43 AM

Just watched episode 2. I won't give out any specifics, but that's the Game of Thrones I know and love.

A episode!!!!

packs 05-03-2016 07:32 AM

Episode 2 was great. I could not be more bored to death by Arya and the Sand Snakes. What a snooze. But thumbs up to Hodor coming back and always good to see my man Davos being a bad ass.

Joshchisox08 05-04-2016 05:55 AM

First 2 episodes were too predictable. Disappointing what happened at the end of episode 2 although I knew it would happen.

Not crazy about that character and all my other's have died except 2.

autograf 05-04-2016 07:05 AM

(SPOILER ALERT IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED) (Page down)

So far so good. Need a little more time on each storyline. Don't feel like they have to update EVERY storyline EVERY episode. Wonder if Snow will be the same old Snow or if he will waken with some new drive or some wackiness since brought back to life. Glad Milisandra (sp?) put her ugliness cloak back on.

aaroncc 05-04-2016 07:39 AM

Yeah I agree they need more time. Episode cut short, too many stories to focus on. Ya gotta hate Ramsay Bolton..

egri 05-04-2016 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaroncc (Post 1535171)
Yeah I agree they need more time. Episode cut short, too many stories to focus on. Ya gotta hate Ramsay Bolton..

I've noticed the villains keep getting worse as the show goes on. First there was Viserys, who was a despicable human being, but only hung around for six episodes and by the end was all bark no bite. Then Joffrey, who executed Ned, but could sometimes be held in check by Tywin and Tyrion, and sooner or later would have sparked his own downfall (sooner since he cheesed off the Queen of Thorns). Now it's Ramsey, who is even worse than Joffrey. But he just murdered the only man he ever took direction from, and the only person who could have challenged him as Roose Bolton's heir. He also has the most powerful houses in the North on his side, and no enemies that are in any kind of shape to attack him.

clydepepper 05-04-2016 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by egri (Post 1535261)
I've noticed the villains keep getting worse as the show goes on. First there was Viserys, who was a despicable human being, but only hung around for six episodes and by the end was all bark no bite. Then Joffrey, who executed Ned, but could sometimes be held in check by Tywin and Tyrion, and sooner or later would have sparked his own downfall (sooner since he cheesed off the Queen of Thorns). Now it's Ramsey, who is even worse than Joffrey. But he just murdered the only man he ever took direction from, and the only person who could have challenged him as Roose Bolton's heir. He also has the most powerful houses in the North on his side, and no enemies that are in any kind of shape to attack him.

Ah...but you've forgotten what's coming...the White Walkers

- that'll leave a mark...for sure.

Nobody worries about frost-bite in the North...they don't have time.

pokerplyr80 05-04-2016 09:42 PM

I'm a fan. Just got into the show last year and watched them all. I don't think Ramsay survives this season but we shall see.

clydepepper 05-04-2016 10:31 PM

...and what is 'Little Finger' up to these days?

the 'stache 05-05-2016 02:10 AM

That's right, we haven't seen Little Finger yet.

I am ready for the Arya storyline to progress. And Jon Snow is my favorite character, along with Tyrion and Arya. Briene is catching up to them fast. I like her a lot. So, obviously I'm happy.

I'm interested to see what happens on the Iron Mountain now that the senior Greyjoy took a platform dive onto the rocks below.

packs 05-05-2016 08:19 AM

I wouldn't count out the men at the wall. Ramsay is most likely going to attack the wall next to eliminate Jon Snow, the only real challenge he has to control of the North. The Watch didn't flinch when the Wildings attacked last time and they haven't lost a battle in a thousand years. If Ramsay wants that wall, he's got a fight ahead of him.

clydepepper 05-05-2016 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1535495)
I wouldn't count out the men at the wall. Ramsay is most likely going to attack the wall next to eliminate Jon Snow, the only real challenge he has to control of the North. The Watch didn't flinch when the Wildings attacked last time and they haven't lost a battle in a thousand years. If Ramsay wants that wall, he's got a fight ahead of him.

...and he may very well wind up in a two-front war...the White Walkers are coming!

ullmandds 05-05-2016 04:39 PM

i just started 1 1/2 weeks ago...at the beginning of season 3...i will ignore from here on!

4815162342 05-05-2016 08:53 PM

Any Game of Thrones Fans?

It's rare to have such a major character on a television show with absolutely no redeeming qualities whatsoever, but GoT has had several.

gnaz01 05-06-2016 07:06 AM

No talk of Khaleesi?? Way sexy and probably my favorite character!!!

ullmandds 05-06-2016 02:19 PM

just finished season 3...1 benefit of being sick...2nd to last episode shocking to me!!!!!

4815162342 05-06-2016 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1535939)
just finished season 3...1 benefit of being sick...2nd to last episode shocking to me!!!!!

Ah, the Red Wedding.

clydepepper 05-07-2016 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4815162342 (Post 1536112)
Ah, the Red Wedding.

I hated that - but it reminded me to not get too fond of any particular character.

Life expectancy in Westros isn't very long.

chaddurbin 05-07-2016 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1535633)
i just started 1 1/2 weeks ago...at the beginning of season 3...i will ignore from here on!

ahh 2013, before we had the t206 red cobb bst thread...good times.

clydepepper 05-07-2016 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaddurbin (Post 1536252)
ahh 2013, before we had the t206 red cobb bst thread...good times.

I will assume I am better off having missed that.

Ulidia 05-08-2016 04:03 AM

I've never actually watched a single episode of Games of Thrones but I have some interest in it as much of the content is filmed in my home location of Northern Ireland.

In fact, it has significantly boosted Northern Ireland's tourist industry due to large numbers of visitors specifically attracted to the region as a result of the series:

https://www.discovernorthernireland.com/gameofthrones/

chaddurbin 05-08-2016 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ulidia (Post 1536452)
I've never actually watched a single episode of Games of Thrones but I have some interest in it as much of the content is filmed in my home location of Northern Ireland.

In fact, it has significantly boosted Northern Ireland's tourist industry due to large numbers of visitors specifically attracted to the region as a result of the series:

https://www.discovernorthernireland.com/gameofthrones/

thx for the link, very interesting to match up the landscape with the show's scenes. a good use of your 86th post!

Joshchisox08 05-13-2016 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 1535427)
...and what is 'Little Finger' up to these days?

Hopefully he's just douching and stays that way. Can't stand that guy!!!

Joshchisox08 05-13-2016 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnaz01 (Post 1535781)
No talk of Khaleesi?? Way sexy and probably my favorite character!!!

ehhh, I'd take the Red Woman any day over Khaleesi :)

clydepepper 05-15-2016 08:08 PM

Tonight's Episode...

....was AWESOME!!!!!

ullmandds 05-15-2016 09:34 PM

sansa is finally growing up!!!!

clydepepper 05-17-2016 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshchisox08 (Post 1538426)
ehhh, I'd take the Red Woman any day over Khaleesi :)

After the 5/15 episode, you may want to reconsider.

My money is on the 'Unburnt' NAKED Khaleesi !

chaddurbin 05-17-2016 08:44 PM

you can really tell GRRM is out of the picture, this season feels like it's moving along too fast and there's no waiting for the payoffs at all....and i don't necessarily like it. i'm used to the slower pace...in past seasons it would've taken sansa 3-4 episodes to meet up with jon or daenarys meandering around the grassy knolls for awhile before burning the house down. with the pacing i feel less buildup and tension.

aaroncc 05-18-2016 08:27 AM

Enjoyed the last episode, a little fast paced as mentioned. But still good. Khaleesi :eek:

the 'stache 05-18-2016 10:09 AM

Some things have to move a little faster, as they are nearing the end of the series. Season seven has been rumored as the final go for GoT.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaddurbin (Post 1540491)
you can really tell GRRM is out of the picture, this season feels like it's moving along too fast and there's no waiting for the payoffs at all....and i don't necessarily like it. i'm used to the slower pace...in past seasons it would've taken sansa 3-4 episodes to meet up with jon or daenarys meandering around the grassy knolls for awhile before burning the house down. with the pacing i feel less buildup and tension.

the 'stache 05-18-2016 10:13 AM

Don't mess with the mother of dragons. :eek:

And I'm just fine with Emilia Clarke walking around naked again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaroncc (Post 1540582)
Enjoyed the last episode, a little fast paced as mentioned. But still good. Khaleesi :eek:

packs 05-18-2016 11:42 AM

Sorry to burst your bubble guys but that is a body double. Cersei was too.

aaroncc 05-18-2016 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1540658)
Sorry to burst your bubble guys but that is a body double. Cersei was too.

Just read a body double was not used..

the 'stache 05-18-2016 12:15 PM

No, that wasn't a body double. That was all Emilia.

Quote:

“I’d like to remind people the last time I took my clothes off was season 3,” she says. “That was awhile ago. It’s now season 6. But this is all me, all proud, all strong. I’m just feeling genuinely happy I said ‘Yes.’ That ain’t no body double!”
http://images-cdn.moviepilot.com/ima...-of-977973.gif

packs 05-18-2016 12:17 PM

Oh wow I remember her being on Howard Stern and talking about how she was too famous to do any more nude scenes.

clydepepper 05-18-2016 11:09 PM

While I personally do not object to body-doubles being used, I would prefer the real deal if Sansa should ever be so inclined...or reclined.

:cool::D:eek:

gnaz01 05-19-2016 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 1540821)
While I personally do not object to body-doubles being used, I would prefer the real deal if Sansa should ever be so inclined...or reclined.

:cool::D:eek:

Or the Queen!!

packs 05-19-2016 10:54 AM

I hope Tormund and Brienne hook up.

clydepepper 05-24-2016 11:20 PM

What did you think of 'The Door' episode?

Hated to loose Hodor, but he died a good death. Seeing the transformation of Wylis into Hodor was disturbing. I predict Bran will be haunted by that.

And thanks to Max Von Sydow for his excellent work.

I sure enjoyed Sansa giving it to Little Finger...he's such a douche.

I almost wanted to Brienne to 'open up the can' on him, but it's best that he squirm for a while.

After 'looking daggers' through the 'first' Red Priestess upon arrival at Castle Black, I get the feeling Brienne is ready to do some damage.

Was it me, or did I detect a little drool at the corner of her mouth when the possibility of her dispatching Little Finger was brought up?

Yarys was quite shook up by the 'new' Red Priestess (who is sexy as hell by the way - no body doubles for her either please) - never seen that side of him.

I thought the farewell scene between Daenerys and Jorah was great. He's a good character and I hope he accomplishes his mission and returns- but I don't give him good odds on that.

Overall, a fairly emotional episode, but I thought it was a good one.

autograf 05-25-2016 07:01 AM

Definitely a good episode. While Von Sydow was okay, I think they could have used him more than just the little they did. Maybe they didn't have enough $$ in the budget. The door scene was reminiscent of some of the scenes in the Hobbit movie. This season has not disappointed.

packs 05-25-2016 07:40 AM

I don't think they spent enough time explaining what's going on with Bran. There's no context for anything going on in there.

I was really surprised that Varys would take the new priestess so seriously. He'd easily convince other people he's a wizard too just by reciting secrets they figured no one else knew. Seemed odd he'd be swayed so easily by a secret of his own. Also, the Light people have so far only succeeded in killing a relatively good guy (Renley), getting Stannis killed, and talking Stannis into murdering his own child. I would not be quick to side with them.

clydepepper 05-25-2016 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1542872)
I don't think they spent enough time explaining what's going on with Bran. There's no context for anything going on in there.

I was really surprised that Varys would take the new priestess so seriously. He'd easily convince other people he's a wizard too just by reciting secrets they figured no one else knew. Seemed odd he'd be swayed so easily by a secret of his own. Also, the Light people have so far only succeeded in killing a relatively good guy (Renley), getting Stannis killed, and talking Stannis into murdering his own child. I would not be quick to side with them.

No - not with them - on her!

:eek:

the 'stache 05-25-2016 10:32 PM

Just finished the episode. Wow.

First of all, the Stark dire wolves are becoming in short supply. Summer is now gone. Rickon's dire wolf, Shaggydog, was shown dead a few episodes ago. We know Lady, Sansa's wolf, was killed by Ned on order of the King. And we all know what happened to Greywind, Robb's wolf. That leaves Ghost and (I think) Nymeria, though God only knows where she is. A girl has no name, but does she still have a pet? Somehow, I think she will make an appearance at a critical moment in Arya's life. The link between direwolf and master is not easily broken.

The Hodor scene was haunting. Hated seeing him, Leaf and Summer all die in rapid succession. Now my question is, how the hell does Bran get away? And I'm seeing an eerie parallel between the White Walkers and the Children of the Forrest, and the Cylons in Battlestar Galactica. Why do the Walkers hate the Children of the Forest? Why did the Cylons hate their creators?

I am liking Sansa more and more. She's really grown up. Sophie's grown into a beautiful young woman, too, hasn't she? I feel much better having Brienne with her. I also loved watching Tormund checking out Brienne, and Brienne turning away with disgust. Somebody needs to make a gif out of that.

Really good episode, overall. The high points, for me, were Daenerys and Jorah, and also seeing Theon stand up for Yara. I think the Ironborn have made a really big mistake. Yara is meant to be their queen.