Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Have you had any close calls destroying your cards? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=244923)

Tennis13 09-14-2017 11:54 AM

Have you had any close calls destroying your cards?

While we obviously worried about friends and family and tried to get them to evacuate last week (some did, some stubbornly refused) for Irma, we then turned our attention to flooded/destroyed houses and the like. In the back of my mind, it was a definite possibility not only would our house flood, but also maybe the bank where we keep some of our cherished items---like baseball cards.

So that leaves me with the question: have you ever had any close calls with maybe destroying a card due to your own fault or something out of your control?

Let me be clear, I am by no means minimizing Irma here, the experience of the past 2 weeks just sort of prompted this thought in my head.

stlcardsfan 09-14-2017 03:06 PM

No, but I often think about this when I grad a large binder of one of my sets from the top shelf of the closet. Thinking one day I will drop one and it won't be pretty.

bnorth 09-14-2017 04:35 PM

At one time I had a very nice collection of limited edition Fotoballs. One day when I got home my Rottweiler and St Bernard had pieces of them scattered all around the house.:(

rats60 09-14-2017 05:20 PM

My mom threw some of my cards in the trash once. I dug them out.

GoCubsGo32 09-14-2017 06:55 PM

I almost threw away a snapshot photo of Ernie Banks from his rookie year...right in the trash. Lucky, right before I dropped the old packaged in the trash can...I gave one good luck inside...and saw it was in there.

Leon 09-17-2017 07:46 AM

A few years back I found my Walter Johnson Schapira Big Show card in my dog's mouth in a top loader. The card was fine but the top loader not so much.

rjackson44 09-17-2017 08:19 AM

Funny Leon ,,it happened to me when we got Finn he grabbed t3 common and tossed it around ..it was now in real poor condition oh well .love animals

pokerplyr80 09-17-2017 10:48 AM

I knocked a glass of water over on an end table that had a stack of some of my better cards at the time sitting on it. Nothing bad happened, and they were graded cards, but I didn't feel like testing out how water proof psa holders are.

Fballguy 09-17-2017 11:40 AM

Not since I was a kid and carried them around in an old pillow case.

Just survived a close call with Hurricane Harvey, but despite living on the local reservoir, experience no flooding at all here in Houston. Thought about moving everything upstairs, but never had to.

drcy 09-17-2017 12:49 PM

My dog sat on a card once and bent it in half.

I drink a lot of coffee and by chance or great natural skill I've never ruined anything with coffee.

bmattioli 09-17-2017 03:16 PM

My first wife gave me a final call to pick up my stuff.. Never made it there and it's gone forever..

Tennis13 09-19-2017 04:26 PM

Really stupid question: If I placed my cards in a plastic bag inside of the slabs, would that do any damage to them (moisture, climate etc?) inside the safe deposit box?