Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   T202 Cross Over Results (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=249690)

wondo 01-04-2018 03:10 PM

T202 Cross Over Results

I had eleven encapsulated T202 cards that I wanted to cross to PSA. Results are:

SGC 80 ---> PSA 5
SGC 70 ---> PSA 5
SGC 50 ---> PSA 4
SGC 10 ---> PSA 1
SGC 55 ---> PSA 4
SGC 84 ---> PSA 6
SGC 45 ---> PSA 3.5
SGC 80 ---> PSA 6
SGC 40 ---> PSA 3
BVG 3.5 ---> PSA 3
BVG 5.5 ---> PSA 4

I am happy with the crossover grades; I didnt have the kahunas to crack and submit so no chance of upgrades (I believe it works that way). I "lost" three total grade points on the SGC conversions and two points on the BVG conversions. Double checking my prices paid, I seem to have gained a few dollars relative to VCP.

Hopefully this small sample is informative to someone. The reason for crossing over was mostly holder consistancy - the card is the card. I have a group of seven in for reholdering; those T202s were in the PSA old style large window holders which I really dislike.

irv 01-04-2018 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wondo (Post 1735495)
I had eleven encapsulated T202 cards that I wanted to cross to PSA. Results are:

SGC 80 ---> PSA 5
SGC 70 ---> PSA 5
SGC 50 ---> PSA 4
SGC 10 ---> PSA 1
SGC 55 ---> PSA 4
SGC 84 ---> PSA 6
SGC 45 ---> PSA 3.5
SGC 80 ---> PSA 6
SGC 40 ---> PSA 3
BVG 3.5 ---> PSA 3
BVG 5.5 ---> PSA 4

I am happy with the crossover grades; I didnt have the kahunas to crack and submit so no chance of upgrades (I believe it works that way). I "lost" three total grade points on the SGC conversions and two points on the BVG conversions. Double checking my prices paid, I seem to have gained a few dollars relative to VCP.

Hopefully this small sample is informative to someone. The reason for crossing over was mostly holder consistancy - the card is the card. I have a group of seven in for reholdering; those T202s were in the old style large window holders which I really dislike.

Were the SGC slabs older, as in graded some time ago, older slabs or were they all fairly recently graded (within the last 2-3 years)

wondo 01-04-2018 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 1735498)
Were the SGC slabs older, as in graded some time ago, older slabs or were they all fairly recently graded (within the last 2-3 years)

They varied, but I don't think I had any really old ones (more than 10 years). But, honestly, I'm not sure - sorry.

Steve L 01-04-2018 03:28 PM

Hi Wondo,

I had three low grade Daubert cards regraded for holder consistency last year. The results were not surprising. I'm going to regrade some better quality cards this year, so thanks for posting your results. I agree - the card is the card - but I sure do like getting a higher grade.

SGC 30 - PSA 1.5
SGC 10 - PSA 1MK
SGC 10 - PSA 1MK

wondo 01-08-2018 07:14 PM

Got my cards today - not the fastest turn around, but worth the wait. When I get all the cards back from the reholders I'll post a group pic with the cards - very excited.

pclpads 01-08-2018 08:44 PM

These results are why I only sub to PSA and never to SGC. The latter's grading standards, particularly for o/c cards, fall far short of those for PSA. If you like how your cards appear in a SGC slab, keep on subbing to them. But, if you prefer to attach value to your cards - whether to keep or sell - sub to PSA. And no, JO isn't any relation.

griffon512 01-08-2018 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pclpads (Post 1736813)
These results are why I only sub to PSA and never to SGC. The latter's grading standards, particularly for o/c cards, fall far short of those for PSA. If you like how your cards appear in a SGC slab, keep on subbing to them. But, if you prefer to attach value to your cards - whether to keep or sell - sub to PSA. And no, JO isn't any relation.

I respectfully disagree with your conclusion on value. PSA will get higher prices all else being equal on registry focused sets but increasingly buyers are basing their decisions on a vintage card's eye appeal regardless of grade or SGC vs. PSA. Also, I think SGC has gotten tougher on centering over the last year. I'm glad to see both trends taking place.