Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Bobbing heads that shouldn't exist...BUT DO!! (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=238579)

ooo-ribay 04-20-2017 07:03 PM

Bobbing heads that shouldn't exist...BUT DO!!

4 Attachment(s)
I have four bobbing head dolls in my Giants collection that are uncatalogued. The story I have heard is that the dolls were made by Lego, a Swiss firm, and then sent to Japan for paint and assembly. I am convinced my "phantom" nodders are the result of breakage of heads and bodies and were put together IN JAPAN from leftover pieces and parts. In the photos below, the hybrid dolls are in the center, flanked by catalogued dolls from whence the parts came.

A green square base, made from a white base, embossed "GIANTS" body and color base head. Square bases were never green and green bases were always round.

The one I just picked up with a green or gold base head and a Seattle Raniers body. The Tacoma doll shown has an embossed body, the Seattle does not. The sleeves match up to the Seattle doll, as well. The PCL nodders all have the lower glove.

A green round base with a white base head. This cap sideways head should only appear on the white bases. I have seen this same nodder with a bat, intead of the ball and glove.

A green base body with the color base head with the embossed hat.

Do you other bobbing head guys have any amalgamations to show???

dwr11 04-20-2017 08:58 PM

I have a Green square base Minnesota Twins nodder. The green square bases were made from the left over white square bases. The green square bases are pretty difficult to find but not impossible. There are numerous variations in the early nodders. For example, with the Minnesota Twins mini's there are at least 32 different variations.

ooo-ribay 04-20-2017 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwr11 (Post 1652756)
I have a Green square base Minnesota Twins nodder. The green square bases were made from the left over white square bases. The green square bases are pretty difficult to find but not impossible. There are numerous variations in the early nodders. For example, with the Minnesota Twins mini's there are at least 32 different variations.

32? :eek:

Does your green square base have a white base head?

perezfan 04-20-2017 09:39 PM

Great stuff...

Regarding the Minis... I've always wondered why many teams have both a Regular and a Moonface variation. Did they intend to offer a variety, or did the regular versions just run out in some cases? The Mascot Head Minis only came in one style, so that makes it even more mysterious.

And why do only the Tigers and Indians Minis have a green base variation? Anybody know the reason? Many many mysteries when it comes to these Dolls.

RedsFan1941 04-20-2017 09:53 PM

I used to love the articles (and book) that Tim Hunter wrote on nodders back in the day. What ever happened to him?

ooo-ribay 04-21-2017 10:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 1652770)
Great stuff...

Regarding the Minis... I've always wondered why many teams have both a Regular and a Moonface variation. Did they intend to offer a variety, or did the regular versions just run out in some cases? The Mascot Head Minis only came in one style, so that makes it even more mysterious.

And why do only the Tigers and Indians Minis have a green base variation? Anybody know the reason? Many many mysteries when it comes to these Dolls.

Hmmm...green base mini's? Those would be hard to explain. Then again, the original poster showed green base Mays and Clemente. I'm pretty sure NONE of those exist, but who knows?

ooo-ribay 07-15-2017 07:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This thread didn't get much traction the first time around, but I just picked up another "uncatalogued" bobber. The center guy in the photo; what I would have called a "white base head on a green base body." I just noticed something, though...

My traditional "catalogued" white base dolls both have blue in the eyes, reddish hair and a black button on their caps. My two "uncatalogued" dolls have solid black pupils, dark brown hair and orange buttons on their caps.

Maybe these "WEREN'T" a marriage of mismatched parts but were an actual short production run made between the traditional white and green base nodders :confused:

mr2686 07-16-2017 11:13 AM

Rob, do you know where I can get more info on bobble-heads? I have 3 gold base ones from my childhood, and would like to find out more, and possible get a few more from that era. Would be interested in finding a checklist or some documentation.

perezfan 07-16-2017 11:19 AM

Maybe there is something more recent now.... but Tim Hunter's Book was a pretty good guide with lots of valuable info. It was the "Go To Guide" for many years. Not sure of the exact title, but am sure someone here will know.

mr2686 07-16-2017 11:25 AM

Thanks Mark, you got me in the ballpark. Found Bobbing Head Dolls: 1960-2000 by Tim Hunter on Amazon. Looks like it's out of print, but they have several used copies. Looks like I'll pick one up soon.

ooo-ribay 07-16-2017 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr2686 (Post 1681465)
Rob, do you know where I can get more info on bobble-heads? I have 3 gold base ones from my childhood, and would like to find out more, and possible get a few more from that era. Would be interested in finding a checklist or some documentation.

You can't beat this price! This one was written by Lou Crisione - a good guy and Net54 member.

https://www.hpb.com/products/warman-...-9780896892507

I'll see if Tim Hunter's book is still out there. I'm afaid it may have gone the way of the Malta bat book and Muchinsky pin book i.e. HTF and expensive.

ooo-ribay 07-16-2017 11:28 AM

totally wrong on the Tim Hunter book :rolleyes:

https://www.amazon.com/Bobbing-Head-.../dp/0873418026

mr2686 07-16-2017 11:35 AM

Thanks Rob. Looks like I can pick up both on Amazon fairly cheap and will be a good addition to my baseball and collecting library.

yankeesjetsfan 07-17-2017 08:44 AM

I have Lou's book and I can attest that its a great one. been meaning to grab Tim's book and will do so soon.

Mike