Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The Babe never knew what was going on behind him (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=259383)

brianp-beme 08-31-2018 11:03 AM

The Babe never knew what was going on behind him

1 Attachment(s)
I've heard of this before, but until now did not believe it existed. Yes, bi-plane abductions from automobiles. Scary stuff.

Brian

Leon 08-31-2018 11:21 AM

That is cool and will probably help keep the price down....

Throttlesteer 08-31-2018 01:14 PM

Honestly, if I'm going to buy a card deemed Altered or with an MK qualifier, it would be something cool like that.

AGuinness 08-31-2018 01:55 PM

The best part of this auction is in the description, which reads: "Completely free of doodles on Ruth's image." Gotta give PWCC credit for spinning this in the most positive light possible, as you don't have to make the drawings a negative when you can note that it's not on Babe's image.
I'm fairly certain that this could be a watershed moment for a new PWCC qualifier. PQ and HE now have another to keep them company: DFI, which stands for "Doodle-free image."

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1921-E121-A...IAAOSwrcxbiFU-

frankbmd 08-31-2018 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AGuinness (Post 1809213)
The best part of this auction is in the description, which reads: "Completely free of doodles on Ruth's image." Gotta give PWCC credit for spinning this in the most positive light possible, as you don't have to make the drawings a negative when you can note that it's not on Babe's image.
I'm fairly certain that this could be a watershed moment for a new PWCC qualifier. PQ and HE now have another to keep them company: DFI, which stands for "Doodle-free image."

As long as they don’t put the “DFI” sticker over Babe’s image, in which case you would have an “SFD” , sticker free doodle.:eek:

realbigfatdog 08-31-2018 02:03 PM

I love this card.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Huysmans 08-31-2018 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AGuinness (Post 1809213)

But I'll also need assurance that an original doodle wasn't embellished or added to...
So an "NDOD", or "no doodle over doodle" sticker would also help :)

Throttlesteer 08-31-2018 02:28 PM

I appreciate the quality of the stuff PWCC gets. But enough of the "deserving of attention" already. We'll give it attention if it deserves it. Any yes, a plane dropping paratroopers on a Rolls Royce Phantom 1 deserves attention.

AGuinness 08-31-2018 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huysmans (Post 1809219)
But I'll also need assurance that an original doodle wasn't embellished or added to...
So an "NDOD", or "no doodle over doodle" sticker would also help :)

Shouldn’t this card have a Doodle Grade, just like an autographed card can get two grades? This looks like a solid 6 Doodle, to me, and it would be higher but it strayed across the card’s border just a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul S 09-01-2018 06:29 AM

The very fact you could identify that as a bi-plane tells me you drew that yourself:cool:

Jason 09-01-2018 07:30 AM

I wouldn’t think that many Ruth cards exist where his name has been crossed out like that.

T206Collector 09-01-2018 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by realbigfatdog (Post 1809215)
I love this card.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

+1

frankbmd 09-01-2018 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason (Post 1809365)
I wouldn’t think that many Ruth cards exist where his name has been crossed out like that.

Think clearly now.

Johnny Cash once sang of “A Boy Named Sue”.

It could have easily been “A Boy Name Ruth” instead.

Top that off by giving the poor kid a nickname of “Babe”.

I dare say such a kid might have been bullied and grew to hate his name.

Perhaps Babe Ruth himself once owned the card listed, created the doodle, and crossed out his own name.

Forensic analysis could verify this hypothesis and the value of the card could skyrocket.

AGuinness 09-01-2018 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1809378)
Think clearly now.

Johnny Cash once sang of “A Boy Named Sue”.

It could have easily been “A Boy Name Ruth” instead.

Top that off by giving the poor kid a nickname of “Babe”.

I dare say such a kid might have been bullied and grew to hate his name.

Perhaps Babe Ruth himself once owned the card listed, created the doodle, and crossed out his own name.

Forensic analysis could verify this hypothesis and the value of the card could skyrocket.

I think this is partially correct. Babe almost certainly owned it and crossed his name out, as Frank explains. But I think the card's journey goes deeper.
After crossing his name out, Babe lost it while boozing one night in Manhattan, and the next morning it was found by Franklin Delano Roosevelt. He kept it for a short while, and in a bout of frustration due to the illness that would paralyze him, FDR tried to tear the card in half. His tear was off, but did cause the paper loss on the right side of the card, and the card was swept up in a gust of air, got caught in the jet stream and landed in Madrid.
There, it was found by Salvador Dali, who found it interesting, but somehow incomplete. After much deliberation, Dali knew he could finish off the masterpiece with his own addition: the doodle in the background. Satisfied with how it looked, he set it aside on his desk, where it was seen by his mother. Thinking the card a silly trifle, she promptly threw it away, and it remained hidden and unknown until recently discovered...
Pretty sure that's spot-on.

2dueces 09-01-2018 08:12 PM

It would be nice if ya’ll shared whatever you’re smoking.

Throttlesteer 09-01-2018 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2dueces (Post 1809530)
It would be nice if ya’ll shared whatever you’re smoking.

Whatever it is, its deserving of attention

canjond 09-02-2018 07:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
In addition to the biplane paratrooper force being sent in, Buckley the Crusader -- complete with sword, staff and fire-bomb in hand -- has also been dispatched to fight the Turks. Why... because "God Wills It" (of course).

Aquarian Sports Cards 09-02-2018 07:21 AM

that's epic

rhettyeakley 09-02-2018 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canjond (Post 1809573)
In addition to the bi-plane paratrooper force, Buckley the Crusader -- with sword, staff and fire-bomb in hand -- has also been dispatched to fight the Turks. Why... because "God wills it" of course.

That is quite literally the greatest DOC (doodle on card) ever done, it was awesome and then I read that “God Wills It!” And I was dying!

canjond 09-02-2018 11:01 AM

Thanks Rhett. I had the same reaction when I first saw it. It's, by far, the worst condition card in my collection. Yet, whenever I go through the box to find something and I come across the card (I usually forget I even own it!), it always puts a smile on my face.

Dewey 09-02-2018 03:05 PM

These are great! Next time I buy a card, gonna use that "God wills it" line. Hope it works.

vintagerookies51 09-21-2018 04:42 PM

Thrilled to have won the Ruth card 🙌🏻 I was scared this thread would bring in a bunch of new bidders

AGuinness 09-21-2018 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagerookies51 (Post 1814470)
Thrilled to have won the Ruth card 🙌🏻 I was scared this thread would bring in a bunch of new bidders

Woo! Congrats! While it may not have added new bidders, you've clearly got a number of new admirers of your acquisition!

Leon 09-24-2018 09:07 AM

Greatness....

Quote:

Originally Posted by canjond (Post 1809573)
In addition to the biplane paratrooper force being sent in, Buckley the Crusader -- complete with sword, staff and fire-bomb in hand -- has also been dispatched to fight the Turks. Why... because "God Wills It" (of course).

frankbmd 09-24-2018 10:19 AM

This Thread is just the Beginning

I forecast that in less than 12 months either Heritage or REA will be featuring the "Great Zeenut Doodle Find" in one of their auctions. Hundreds of these cards will surface as a result. The Black Swamp Find will be swept under the rug.

Doodle authentication will be needed. Doodle graders will be garnering 6 figure salaries to weed out counterfeit doodles in this new profitable hobby niche.

PSA will eliminate their "MK" qualifier.

PWCC will create a new "HED" sticker.

Topps will issue a new set featuring Aaron Judge complete with Yankee Doodles.

Time will tell, but don't bet against me.