Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Jewish Players premium? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=238092)

JamesGallo 04-08-2017 09:08 PM

Jewish Players premium?

So I recently had an online dealer tell me that a Benny Kauff was not a common because he was Jewish. Both registries value him as a common. Although I have known a few players like Marsans and Koufax where people attach Jewish to the player, I can't say I have ever had someone hype a card because of a players religion. I consider myself pretty well versed in baseball and I can't ever recall there being any discrimination against Jews. Am I wrong about this? Should a common be more then a common because of their religion. Am I missing something?

James G

ullmandds 04-08-2017 09:13 PM

probably worth less to a palestinian!

h2oya311 04-08-2017 10:11 PM

Benny Kauff does usually command a premium, but he was not Jewish, despite what some may think. Kauff was banned from baseball by Landis because of alleged auto theft. I think that's interesting.

I have noticed that most Jewish players do command a small premium (like Barney Pelty), but I think it's because there is a niche collectors market for just Jewish players. I do the rookie card thing. You may collect only cardinals players. Some just collect Negro League players. Many collect only jewish player cards. To each his own.

Leon 04-08-2017 10:11 PM

There are a lot of Jewish player collectors and many, many times the cards bring a premium because of that.

oldjudge 04-08-2017 11:17 PM

How could the cards of the chosen people not be worth more? Anything else would be mashugana.

Aquarian Sports Cards 04-08-2017 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldjudge (Post 1649066)
How could the cards of the chosen people not be worth more? Anything else would be mashugana.

actually you mean meshuga. meshuggeneh is a person who is meshuga.

oldjudge 04-08-2017 11:30 PM

mashugana. Noun. (plural mashuganas) nonsense, silliness, craziness, garbage (as in useless) (pejorative) A person who is nonsensical, sill

glynparson 04-09-2017 01:57 AM

Yes

There is frequently a premium on Jewish players due to increased demand. Like Leon stated there are several people who collect players with Jewish heritage there by increasing demand for their cards thus causing a premium.

Aquarian Sports Cards 04-09-2017 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldjudge (Post 1649068)
mashugana. Noun. (plural mashuganas) nonsense, silliness, craziness, garbage (as in useless) (pejorative) A person who is nonsensical, sill

you used it as an adjective, even your definition states it's a noun. meshuga is the adjective. let's take this over to the yiddish grammar thread :)

Jason 04-09-2017 06:09 AM

I can attest to there being a premium on Jewish players cards within the T210 set. The J. Erskine Mayer Series 7 that sold on eBay a few months ago is proof of that. Others such as Levy in Series 2 always brings a premium.

Leon 04-09-2017 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 1649092)
you used it as an adjective, even your definition states it's a noun. meshuga is the adjective. let's take this over to the yiddish grammar thread :)

My dear grandparents (RIP) would be smiling. They spoke Yiddish when they got riled up and we never knew what they were saying....but if it was Yiddish it wasn't looking good.. for us.

Exhibitman 04-09-2017 08:44 AM

Not to pay more for a landsmann would be a shonda

oldjudge 04-09-2017 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 1649148)
Not to pay more for a landsmann would be a shonda

Oy, such a smart boy (if only he was a doctor).

drcy 04-09-2017 09:31 AM

Benny Kauff may have a bit of a premium because he was one of the best ever minor league players.

One might say Jewish players have a proverbial 'regional premium,' as certain players and teams have premiums in certain localities.

As a side note, I just found out that my friend's great uncle was the Jewish middleweight champion Al McKoy (Changed his last name from Alexander).

Aquarian Sports Cards 04-09-2017 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drcy (Post 1649171)
Benny Kauff may have a bit of a premium because he was one of the best ever minor league players.

One might say Jewish players have a proverbial 'regional premium,' as certain players and teams have premiums in certain localities.

As a side note, I just found out that my friend's great uncle was the Jewish middleweight champion Al McKoy (Changed his last name from Alexander).

hmmm If you had said one of the best Federal league players I'd have to agree, but that was technically considered a Major League. His minor league stats were nothing overwhelming in about 1600 PA's.

Topnotchsy 04-09-2017 10:58 AM

Lots of Nachas reading this threads :)

Billy5858 04-10-2017 05:13 AM

So Pelty/Hindu impossible?

clydepepper 04-10-2017 05:18 AM

Wow! My edjumukashun continues! Thanks guys!

Jewish-collector 04-10-2017 07:36 AM

The funny thing is that Benny Kauff is NOT Jewish. :eek:

IMAXMAX 04-10-2017 08:04 AM

Oy Vey!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish-collector (Post 1649454)
The funny thing is that Benny Kauff is NOT Jewish. :eek:

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 04-10-2017 08:51 AM

I agree that Jewish Players bring a premium.

My girlfriend is Jewish and her father collected and is so proud of these players. Even when we went to the Yankees Tiger game last year for old timers day, and Kinsler came up he goes..."he's part of the tribe". haha

packs 04-10-2017 09:43 AM

Jewish players bring in premiums without a doubt. People pay more money for Jimmie Reese Zeenuts than they should because he's Jewish. Even Hank Greenberg, hall of famer, gets Jewish tagged to his items because it's a major collecting focus for a lot of people.

Exhibitman 04-10-2017 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drcy (Post 1649171)

http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibit...21%20McCoy.jpg

Yoda 04-10-2017 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1649046)
probably worth less to a palestinian!

Unless it is Yassar Arafat's rookie card.