Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Best ball and pen for autographs (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=200843)

gregr2 02-01-2015 10:42 AM

Best ball and pen for autographs

Living in Central Florida has its advantages, in particular the proximity to MLB Spring Training. I just purchased some tickets to several games, including Marlins vs Nationals and I'll be taking my 9 year old daughter. Luckily I was able to get front row tickets right next to the Nationals dugout so I'm hoping for her to be able to get some autographs.

My question, I was thinking about getting her a ball to have signed so she could display it in her room. What brand ball should I get or does it matter?

Second, I did some searching but couldn't find the thread, I think I remember folks saying to get a blue bic pen for signatures, is that correct? Why the blue bic over a Sharpie?

Thanks in advance.
Greg

earlywynnfan 02-01-2015 10:56 AM

Buy a real MLB baseball. Heck, I'll send you one if you want.

Sharpie has a much higher rate of fading, bleeding, smearing then pen.

I use Write Bros from papermate, but many use Bic or others.

HOF Auto Rookies 02-01-2015 11:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Use Bic or Papermate in blue. Or a small/fine tip blue staedtler, those actually look amazing and don't fade (ball signed with a staedtler).

Attachment 177417

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Den*nis O*Brien 02-01-2015 01:03 PM

Archival Ink Pen

1 Attachment(s)
On the "Old Board" someone brought to our attention the Sakura Micron 100 year ink pen. They sell for under five bucks ( last group I bought) and come in various colors and ball point sizes. I have been using both black and blue in 0.30mm size for TTM and in person signings on balls. I believe that these pens are used within the White House for document signings....at least I read this somewhere years ago. I recently had some balls signed by a AAGPBL Rockford Peach and she stated it was the best pen she had ever used and kept it for future sigs. At the low price per unit the pens makes a nice "Thank You For Signing Gift". On TTM I send one along and invite the player to keep it...sometimes they do sometimes not and send it back.

Nashvol 02-01-2015 01:18 PM

Don't forget there is a new Commisioners signature on Official MLB baseballs for 2015...

packs 02-01-2015 01:33 PM

Always blue ball point on an official ball. Sharpie will bleed or smudge. Black ink will turn purple and then brown and then fade into nothing.

gregr2 02-01-2015 01:39 PM

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the input.

jimjim 02-06-2015 09:52 AM

I have switched to a blue bic fine point ballpoint pen with great results. I used to use a medium tip blue bic cristal, but I have noticed that the ink has started to bleed a bit on some of the newer signed baseballs. Maybe something changed with the leather or how it was processed? Anyways, the issue has resolved using the fine point ballpoint and they look great. You can get a box of a dozen for a couple dollars from Staples.

Runscott 02-06-2015 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOF Auto Rookies (Post 1374591)
Use Bic or Papermate in blue. Or a small/fine tip blue staedtler, those actually look amazing and don't fade (ball signed with a staedtler).

Brent - that looks fantastic. I'm glad this subject came up, as I had several baseballs I needed signed by Mariners players but I skipped taking them to Fanfest because I couldn't decide what kind of pen to use. I'll have a staedtler ready for the next opportunity.

HOF Auto Rookies 02-08-2015 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 1376738)
Brent - that looks fantastic. I'm glad this subject came up, as I had several baseballs I needed signed by Mariners players but I skipped taking them to Fanfest because I couldn't decide what kind of pen to use. I'll have a staedtler ready for the next opportunity.

I was thoroughly impressed with how well it turned out. It will be hard switching back to a pen now. I just don't know what will happen years down the road to the ink but should be fine hopefully.

egri 02-08-2015 06:04 PM

To the OP: definitely use a Rawlings Official MLB ball. Should cost about $15-20 at your local sporting goods store. A few years ago I went down to Ft. Myers for ST and had Johnny Pesky sign a rubber "Red Sox Spring Training" baseball; now the signature is almost invisible.

Have any of you tried the Pilot pens on baseballs? I haven't, but I've heard they are an improvement over ballpoint for normal writing, so I was wondering if they held up for baseballs as well.

gregr2 02-08-2015 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by egri (Post 1377711)
To the OP: definitely use a Rawlings Official MLB ball. Should cost about $15-20 at your local sporting goods store. A few years ago I went down to Ft. Myers for ST and had Johnny Pesky sign a rubber "Red Sox Spring Training" baseball; now the signature is almost invisible.

Have any of you tried the Pilot pens on baseballs? I haven't, but I've heard they are an improvement over ballpoint for normal writing, so I was wondering if they held up for baseballs as well.

Thanks, I am definitely going with the official MLB balls. Lots of different suggestions on the pen so I'm still evaluating that.

djson1 02-09-2015 01:11 PM

Are there any suggestions as to which are best silver/gold/metallic ink pens for the black baseballs? These pens tend to smear easily and I was wondering if there were some that were better than others in drying faster and the appearance on black baseballs.

HOF Auto Rookies 02-10-2015 11:44 AM

Best ball and pen for autographs

Quote:

Originally Posted by djson1 (Post 1378009)
Are there any suggestions as to which are best silver/gold/metallic ink pens for the black baseballs? These pens tend to smear easily and I was wondering if there were some that were better than others in drying faster and the appearance on black baseballs.

Staedtler is the best "marker" for signatures period. The majority of sports card companies use them for cards and other items. The ink seriously will dry after its signed on almost any medium.

The best thing to do is just go buy a ball and test out 5 or so different pens and scribble on the ball and see which is most appealing to you.

Mr. Zipper 02-10-2015 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOF Auto Rookies (Post 1377695)
I was thoroughly impressed with how well it turned out. It will be hard switching back to a pen now. I just don't know what will happen years down the road to the ink but should be fine hopefully.

What kind of pen is the Staedtler? I see they have rollerballs, "fineliners," "pigment liners" and ballpoints. I didn't see any markers on the Staedtler web site that looked close.

HOF Auto Rookies 02-10-2015 12:23 PM

Here you go

http://www.staedtler.us/en/products/...niversal-pens/

Obviously you get the permanent one, but I use either small, fine or medium depending on the item as well as the colors, background, spacing etc depends on size

sycks22 02-10-2015 02:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
These blue Crystal big pens are the bee's knees. Never had an auto fade with them. If you're willing to drop $140 - $160 you can get a dozen mlb balls on the bay.

Runscott 02-10-2015 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOF Auto Rookies (Post 1378498)
The best thing to do is just go buy a ball and test out 5 or so different pens and scribble on the ball and see which is most appealing to you.

You can get scrap leather easily enough. I only mention this because I was looking for baseballs to do my 'baked shellac over steel pen ink' testing, and someone suggested I use scrap leather instead. You can nail it to something round if that helps.