Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Kirby Puckett bat real? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=239450)

Oldsaybrook21 05-08-2017 09:57 AM

Kirby Puckett bat real?

2 Attachment(s)
Hello can I get some feedback and thoughts on this bat with Kirby

Everything looks good to me, not familiar with Kirby

Thank you!

Duluth Eskimo 05-08-2017 08:26 PM

I have bought and sold tons of Puckett and watched him sign tons in person and with that said, I would be very careful with this auto. His signature kept getting smaller as he aged, but there are some things I don't like with this auto. I think it's possibly good, but I would probably not buy it. I would ask Dan to chime in and he probably will. He got many in person including late in life.

HOF Auto Rookies 05-08-2017 08:58 PM

The Puckett looks off to me. It doesn't have his usual flow and flamboyant flair with the lettering and looks to be carefully done to me.

jimjim 05-09-2017 05:00 AM

Looks good to me. Couple of points... if it was a free autograph, he gave a sloppy signature. One of the first Hall of Famers to use this technique. Also, all of the other signatures appear authentic. Why would someone forge a Puckett on that bat? Doesn't really increase the value substantially.

Oldsaybrook21 05-09-2017 07:14 AM

I went back and asked him.

The seller claims he obtained the Kirby autograph in NJ.
"It was with MAB celebrity services in a hotel show in NJ I want to say around 2003-2005"

"Wasn't allowed to take pictures because of his eyes
He wore sunglasses the day I got him"

For those you are more familiar with his auto,
Does this time year period 03-05 consistent with Kirby's auto?

Thank you for your help and assistance

Oldsaybrook21 05-09-2017 06:49 PM

R

Duluth Eskimo 05-09-2017 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimjim (Post 1659456)
Looks good to me. Couple of points... if it was a free autograph, he gave a sloppy signature. One of the first Hall of Famers to use this technique. Also, all of the other signatures appear authentic. Why would someone forge a Puckett on that bat? Doesn't really increase the value substantially.

Because Puckett signed HOF items are in high demand and are tough. Puckett did not do a lot of signings after he was elected. I agree the other signatures are authentic, but I don't judge the toughest signature on the bat because the others are authentic.

dwr11 05-10-2017 09:14 AM

Like Jason, I got Kirby tons of times from 1984 to shortly before his death. I think this Kirby is probably authentic but it's a tough one. The time frame of 2003-2005 definitely matches with this type of signature. Also, the story of Kirby not wanting photos matches perfectly. After the SI article came out in March of 2003 Kirby was much different at signings often times giving very small signatures.

Oldsaybrook21 05-14-2017 09:39 AM

Thank you for everyone's feedback!