Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Baseball Celebration in Hot Springs (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=274506)

Hot Springs Bathers 10-09-2019 10:45 AM

Baseball Celebration in Hot Springs

I wanted to let everyone know that we are having our annual Baseball Celebration this Saturday in Hot Springs, Arkansas.

We do this to celebrate the Historic Hot Springs Baseball Trail which features 32 plaques around town at significant sites from the birthplace of Spring Training in 1886.

This year we have a full day starting with a Robinson-Kell SABR Chapter meeting at 10:00 in our Convention Center. This will be followed by panel discussions on history.

At 2:30 we have a panel we are calling WE MADE IT which will feature discussions with local players that actually made the major leagues, some for a short period, others for several years.

At 4:30 we will have a St. Louis Cardinals Celebration panel with Steve Carlton, Ted Simmons, Al Hrabosky and Dick Hughes. Many fans forget Hughes was the leading winner on the 1967 staff at 16-7.

Following each panel the players will be available for autographs, guests will be limited to two autographs per player.

The entire day is free of charge to the public including the autographs. For more information go to visithotsprings.com

gabrinus 10-09-2019 12:13 PM

cool

Sounds cool Mike...Jerry

gabrinus 10-09-2019 02:33 PM

Arkansas Democrat Gazette

Mike, I just got around to reading the paper and noticed you mentioned in Rex Nelson's column...

GasHouseGang 10-09-2019 02:57 PM

Sounds like a lot of fun for a Cardinal fan. Wish I could go and get Steve Carlton's and Ted Simmons' autograph.

gabrinus 10-09-2019 06:25 PM

1st inning

That 10 run 1st inning was fun too...I was on the can and missed it but I din't mind...maybe that's where I should spend the rest of the postseason...Jerry

Hot Springs Bathers 10-09-2019 07:55 PM

Jerry - Rex and I have been great friends for almost 40 years now. We travel to events and for fun together and have recently added good friend and old Tech coach Jim Yeager who owned Coach & Bears Dugout card shop in Russellville for many years to our trips. They are two of the best people I know!

midmo 10-09-2019 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Springs Bathers (Post 1922283)
I wanted to let everyone know that we are having our annual Baseball Celebration this Saturday in Hot Springs, Arkansas.

We do this to celebrate the Historic Hot Springs Baseball Trail which features 32 plaques around town at significant sites from the birthplace of Spring Training in 1886.

This year we have a full day starting with a Robinson-Kell SABR Chapter meeting at 10:00 in our Convention Center. This will be followed by panel discussions on history.

At 2:30 we have a panel we are calling WE MADE IT which will feature discussions with local players that actually made the major leagues, some for a short period, others for several years.

At 4:30 we will have a St. Louis Cardinals Celebration panel with Steve Carlton, Ted Simmons, Al Hrabosky and Dick Hughes. Many fans forget Hughes was the leading winner on the 1967 staff at 16-7.

Following each panel the players will be available for autographs, guests will be limited to two autographs per player.

The entire day is free of charge to the public including the autographs. For more information go to visithotsprings.com

Cool, I had never heard of this before. That website isn't working. Is that the correct domain name? Maybe somebody forgot to pay the bill. :(

midmo 10-09-2019 08:03 PM

found it

hotsprings.org has info...

https://www.hotsprings.org/events/event/3385/

Hot Springs Bathers 10-10-2019 07:31 AM

Thanks Justin!

Howe’s Hunter 10-10-2019 08:24 AM

Is it a Cardinal Cebration every year, or different teams?

First I’ve ever heard of this. If Cardinals every year, should try and go next year. (if ever a Yankee celebration, forgetaboutit).

Hot Springs Bathers 10-10-2019 08:31 AM

Ed it is not a Cardinals event every year. Last year we had Ferguson Jenkins who is a terrific gentleman. Next year it will be a Summer weekend and we have an exhibit reserved from the Baseball Hall of Fame. Our guests have not been chosen yet. This year in the early 2:30 time slot we have former major league players; Reggie Ritter, Allen McDill, Mike Beard and Rich Thompson. They offer the chance for fans to ask about their careers and celebrations and injury frustrations. All are really solid people.

triwak 10-10-2019 11:41 AM

Sounds like a fun event - especially with the Cardinals playing in the NLCS! Better have some TVs turned on!!!! I look forward to exploring the "Trail" the next time I visit (from Springfield, MO).

Howe’s Hunter 10-10-2019 12:15 PM

If by chance you’re attending

And aren’t going to be using the two autographs for yourself, I’d compensate you for your time, postage and cost of the balls for sweet spot signatures of Simmons, Hrabosky and Hughs. Got Carlton several years ago when Bob Gibson had his charity golf tournament in Omaha for three years and he always had a great turnout of former Cardinals. But have never had the chance at these three. Enjoy if you go.

Jobu 10-10-2019 12:30 PM

We need to get some more fiber in your diet if you missed an entire 10-run inning b/c you were in the crapper. :D:eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by gabrinus (Post 1922390)
That 10 run 1st inning was fun too...I was on the can and missed it but I din't mind...maybe that's where I should spend the rest of the postseason...Jerry

gabrinus 10-10-2019 01:49 PM

Phil Steele

Haha...I was reading Phil Steel's College Football magazine...I figured if the Cards scored without me then great...Mike I noticed your friend has written a book about Arkansas baseball players...I'll have to get for my nephew's birthday...Jerry

Rich Klein 10-11-2019 12:19 PM

Hot Springs is a great place to talk baseball. Wish I could make the meeting. These meetings began because SABR Deadball Committee would meet there back in the day and an Arkansas Chapter was created after one of those get-togethers.

Rich