Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   A Big 'Thank You' to Rob Lifson! (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=274394)

MVSNYC 10-05-2019 02:35 PM

A Big 'Thank You' to Rob Lifson!

8 Attachment(s)
I've known Rob for almost 20 years; he's always been very generous with his time and knowledge. He had remembered that I was looking for some older auction catalogs to add to my library. Well, the other day I got a phone call from Rob, he had a huge, and wonderful, selection of older & special catalogs (dozens) for me (REA, as well as many other auction houses represented). They're amazing, and it's been really awesome looking through them.

It's insane to see the quality of items that were deep in the middle of the catalogs...any one of them would be the #1 lot in any auction today.

Rob, thank you again very much!

(Also, a shout out to Barry! Come back; we had a great chat about you).

Rhotchkiss 10-05-2019 04:38 PM

Very cool. I bet its a lot of fun leafing through those. They remind me of Back to the Future II, where Biff steals that book of sports scores over the years and then goes back in time and gets rich from betting on games he knew the results of. If we only knew then what things would be worth now......

MVSNYC 10-06-2019 06:39 AM

Ryan, imagine the ROI on the PSA 10 '52 Mantle? Or the PSA 8 '14 CJ Cobb? When you visit me, we'll have a drink and drool over these old catalog together.

Was great to spend time with Rob, and reminisce.

CobbSpikedMe 10-06-2019 10:53 AM

Several of those look familiar and I love looking through the old catalogs. I have a printout of all the closing prices for that 1997 black REA catalog. It's a lot of fun looking at what those cards/items sold for back then.

MVSNYC 10-06-2019 08:12 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Andy, it's amazing looking at the offerings, and the prices from 15-20 years ago.

Here's a few more "random" pieces, buried within the pages of a 2000 REA catalog.

Again...any one of these items, would be front & center in any major auction today.

Fred 10-06-2019 08:23 PM

Just curious, what's been your favorite catalog that you received from Rob?

Maybe you could start a new thread and find out which past auction catalogs are the best. For example, the Halper Auction catalogs were incredible.

ValKehl 10-06-2019 09:51 PM

Oh how I remember that Boston Garter of WaJo, which was way beyond my budget back then. But, if only I had refinanced the house ... :(

Leon 10-08-2019 07:45 AM

Val, we all have the one that got away. If I recall correctly I was underbidder on an E107 Plank in an 8 holder (before trimming was quite as prevalent) around 18-20? yrs. ago. I chose to go for something else in the auction.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ValKehl (Post 1921848)
Oh how I remember that Boston Garter of WaJo, which was way beyond my budget back then. But, if only I had refinanced the house ... :(