Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   $100,000 Card (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=268538)

LincolnVT 04-30-2019 09:43 PM

$100,000 Card
 
What is the next card that will sell for $100,000? Needs to be a card that hasn't yet sold for $100,000. Guesses?

Peter_Spaeth 04-30-2019 09:46 PM

The SP Jeter RC in 10 almost got there a year or so ago, and with the big rise in Jeter RCs...

ullmandds 04-30-2019 09:55 PM

Red sox/ruth rookie team card.

LincolnVT 04-30-2019 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1874081)
Red sox/ruth rookie team card.

Already sold for $100,000.

Rhotchkiss 04-30-2019 10:02 PM

D304 Cobb... oh, it just got there at $102k in the last REA auction.

ullmandds 04-30-2019 10:04 PM

All jokes aside itíll likely be some psa 10 rookie.

Throttlesteer 05-01-2019 01:21 AM

Some emerald green Fleer Metal basketball card

vintagetoppsguy 05-01-2019 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Throttlesteer (Post 1874113)
Some emerald green Fleer Metal basketball card that was originally a PSA 7, but has been altered and is now a PSA 10

I fixed it for you. :D

Frank A 05-01-2019 08:17 AM

Gehrig 1925 rookie exhibit.

jmarascojr 05-01-2019 10:34 AM

Probably the Wander Franco Auto Superfractor that was just pulled out of Bowman, once it is graded and put on eBay.

Peter_Spaeth 05-01-2019 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmarascojr (Post 1874179)
Probably the Wander Franco Auto Superfractor that was just pulled out of Bowman, once it is graded and put on eBay.

An 18 year old kid in the Midwest League? WTF?

rats60 05-01-2019 01:07 PM

It will be a modern basketball card. There are a number of low print run Michael Jordan cards (10 or less) that haven't come up for sale in a long time. One of those could easily pass 100K. The other possibility is the 03/04 Exquisite Lebron James RPA /99 if one legitimately comes up for sale in high grade. There is some debate about if it would actually hit 100k. A BGS 9.5 of the Exquisite RPA /23 sold for 95K in 2015. That one would bring over 100K if sold today.

Peter_Spaeth 05-01-2019 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rats60 (Post 1874247)
It will be a modern basketball card. There are a number of low print run Michael Jordan cards (10 or less) that haven't come up for sale in a long time. One of those could easily pass 100K. The other possibility is the 03/04 Exquisite Lebron James RPA /99 if one legitimately comes up for sale in high grade. There is some debate about if it would actually hit 100k. A BGS 9.5 of the Exquisite RPA /23 sold for 95K in 2015. That one would bring over 100K if sold today.

If there are 99 of them why would it sell so high and why do you say "if...legitimately" is there some controversy about this card?

TUM301 05-01-2019 01:47 PM

I`ve got one word for you son, PLASTICS.

clydepepper 05-01-2019 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TUM301 (Post 1874263)
I`ve got one word for you son, PLASTICS.



Nope. I invest in cardboard futures.


=

BLongley 05-01-2019 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1874250)
If there are 99 of them why would it sell so high and why do you say "if...legitimately" is there some controversy about this card?

Quite a few seem to have been cleaned up by a professional trimmer and then regraded...mostly by BGS and they have missed the trim and provided higher grades. The trims can be determined based on the matching serial numbers and finding prior sales... similar to the t206 auto scam...

rats60 05-01-2019 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1874250)
If there are 99 of them why would it sell so high and why do you say "if...legitimately" is there some controversy about this card?

There hasn't been a verifiable sale in years, just rumors of sales. For a card with 99 copies that just doesn't make sense. You would think that one would come to a reputable auction house at some point. The card is believed to at least be worth in the high 5 figures.

Peter_Spaeth 05-01-2019 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rats60 (Post 1874306)
There hasn't been a verifiable sale in years, just rumors of sales. For a card with 99 copies that just doesn't make sense. You would think that one would come to a reputable auction house at some point. The card is believed to at least be worth in the high 5 figures.

Maybe someone early on hoarded them somehow? Maybe they weren't all released? Intriguing anyhow.

Goudey77 05-01-2019 07:08 PM

I am convinced most of the modern basketball insert rarities are hiding in closets. Forgotten by most and gone unknown to the original owner. Should be interesting to see these come out the woodwork

PiratesWS1979 05-02-2019 11:05 PM

1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold Jeter PSA 10.

With three Mirror Blue PSA 9's crossing $10K recently, one should easily cross $100K maybe even $150K.

brass_rat 05-02-2019 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goudey77 (Post 1874335)
I am convinced most of the modern basketball insert rarities are hiding in closets. Forgotten by most and gone unknown to the original owner. Should be interesting to see these come out the woodwork

For these metal cards, does anybody have knowledge of what they were selling for when they were initially released? (ie, distribution, pack costs, insert values on secondary market)

ToddW. 05-03-2019 05:12 PM

Wasn't the Franco - went for ONLY $60k - $100k.

https://www.beckett.com/news/2019-bo...tor-autograph/

Throttlesteer 05-03-2019 06:35 PM

There's just something wrong with a single-A ballplayer's card selling for more than some of the greatest Hall of Famers ever to play the game. I can understand Trout or even Yelich. But a top prospect that may never do a thing in MLB?

I can't imagine anyone on here would rather have that Franco than a high grade Ruth or Cobb.

BeanTown 05-03-2019 07:04 PM

Ty Cobb W600 Cabinet

Next

Ty Cobb Rose Postcard.

Peter_Spaeth 05-03-2019 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Throttlesteer (Post 1874879)
There's just something wrong with a single-A ballplayer's card selling for more than some of the greatest Hall of Famers ever to play the game. I can understand Trout or even Yelich. But a top prospect that may never do a thing in MLB?

I can't imagine anyone on here would rather have that Franco than a high grade Ruth or Cobb.

Agreed, but apparently we are wrong.

oldjudge 05-03-2019 07:51 PM

1. Cincinnati Peck & Snyder trade card (should be well past it by now)
2. Nice Buck Ewing N167
3. Old Judge Harry Wright pose 3

robertsmithnocure 05-03-2019 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeanTown (Post 1874883)
Ty Cobb W600 Cabinet

Next

Ty Cobb Rose Postcard.

Hasn't Cobb's W600 already sold for more than $100K?

Seems like I have seen more Cobb Rose postcards sold the last couple of years than most of the other Hall of Fame players. To me, it seems like Cobb already sells for a huge premium in that set compared to someone like Wagner.

My guess for the next $100K card would be a W600 of Mathewson where he is in a suit.

Leon 05-04-2019 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldjudge (Post 1874898)
1. Cincinnati Peck & Snyder trade card (should be well past it by now)
2. Nice Buck Ewing N167
3. Old Judge Harry Wright pose 3

No way on Ewing, too common relatively speaking, and the big hitters probably already have him.

oldjudge 05-04-2019 12:46 PM

Three years ago one sold for $51,000. Let's see. Time will tell.

Stampsfan 05-05-2019 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LincolnVT (Post 1874074)
What is the next card that will sell for $100,000? Needs to be a card that hasn't yet sold for $100,000. Guesses?

Nothing I own.

GaryPassamonte 05-05-2019 09:12 AM

I agree on the 1869 Cincinnati trade card or cdv, Jay. It should be selling for much more than it does. It's historically significant and available enough to be obtained.

Leon 05-07-2019 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldjudge (Post 1875056)
Three years ago one sold for $51,000. Let's see. Time will tell.

One sold on our BST for around 52k, maybe 10-12? yrs ago.....My guess is it is still a 50k card. That said, since I sold it, it will probably be 200k. And I agree on the P and S 1869 card.

oldjudge 05-07-2019 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1875808)
One sold on our BST for around 52k, maybe 10-12? yrs ago.....My guess is it is still a 50k card. That said, since I sold it, it will probably be 200k. And I agree on the P and S 1869 card.

LOL, that seems to be my MO also.

PiratesWS1979 10-09-2019 09:31 AM

Curious to see if my estimate is correct.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-Select...cAAOSwr-hdm6RH

ullmandds 10-09-2019 09:45 AM

there aint no cure for CRAZY!!!!

oldjudge 10-09-2019 11:27 AM

But it does sparkle like jewelry. I don't know about most Yankee fans, but with DiDi and Gleyber on the team I don't miss Jeter at all.

ullmandds 10-09-2019 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldjudge (Post 1922271)
But it does sparkle like jewelry. I don't know about most Yankee fans, but with DiDi and Gleyber on the team I don't miss Jeter at all.

and dont forget judge! Totally agree...but in essence you're saying it takes 3 stars to replace jeter!!!

rats60 10-09-2019 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PiratesWS1979 (Post 1922254)
Curious to see if my estimate is correct.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-Select...cAAOSwr-hdm6RH

The Exquisite LeBron James RPA beat it to the marketplace selling for 192k in August at Heritage. Now Heritage has another and Goldin has one. 3 in a few months after none selling for years.

Vintageclout 10-09-2019 01:26 PM

$100K Card
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by LincolnVT (Post 1874074)
What is the next card that will sell for $100,000? Needs to be a card that hasn't yet sold for $100,000. Guesses?

Eventually, a Ty Cobb autographed T206 will hit $100K+. FYI, the Gehrig rookie has already eclipsed $100K.

Joe T.

GasHouseGang 10-09-2019 07:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If you blow up the picture of the Jeter being auctioned, the bottom doesn't look very straight in the scan. It seems to curve down to the right. Maybe it's an optical illusion or just my monitor. You be the judge.

oldjudge 10-09-2019 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1922278)
and dont forget judge! Totally agree...but in essence you're saying it takes 3 stars to replace jeter!!!

No, those are the two guys who played shortstop this year. Either fills in just fine.

Peter_Spaeth 10-10-2019 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GasHouseGang (Post 1922374)
If you blow up the picture of the Jeter being auctioned, the bottom doesn't look very straight in the scan. It seems to curve down to the right. Maybe it's an optical illusion or just my monitor. You be the judge.

Brent is calling a 4th year Jeter a rookie card.

Sean 10-10-2019 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TUM301 (Post 1874263)
I`ve got one word for you son, PLASTICS.

Exactly how do you mean that, sir?

brianp-beme 10-11-2019 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GasHouseGang (Post 1922374)
If you blow up the picture of the Jeter being auctioned, the bottom doesn't look very straight in the scan. It seems to curve down to the right. Maybe it's an optical illusion or just my monitor. You be the judge.

I think it is an optical illusion. I believe it is the opaque part of the holder on the bottom right that droops down.

Brian


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.