Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Just Wanted To Share This (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=233431)

KMayUSA6060 01-05-2017 10:27 PM

Just Wanted To Share This

6 Attachment(s)
Last October, my fiancee made a Facebook post about looking for cards for me (I do not have a Facebook; shocking for a 22 year old, I know). A guy's wife messaged her, and put her in contact with her husband, who I have conversed with off and on for a few months. He was pulling his cards from binders, and wanted me to come over to check out his collection and see what I wanted to buy. Wednesday night (1/4/17), my fiancee and I stopped over and he showed us his collection. He had two binders on the table in his basement. In one of them were a bunch of Indians autos on photos - Feller, Wynn, '95 Indians, etc. The other binder was full of Mickey Mantle, Hank Aaron, Ted Williams, Joe DiMaggio, and many many more HoFers' autos on photos. I attached a few of the photos. It was incredible. He also had a vintage baseball chess set, with the pieces being star players from throughout the years (Ruth, Musial, DiMaggio, Gehrig, Robinson, etc.). He showed me a display case for baseballs, 3/4 full of baseballs with autos like Mantle, Spahn, etc.

His card collection was incredible as well. Not much that would interest many on this board - tons of '70s, '80s, '90s, '00s RCs from all sports. Tons of value, but not a whole lot that interests me or many other vintage collectors. I ended up buying some Jim Thome's I didn't have, a Thome auto, some vintage Indians, and a Mike "Human Rain Delay" Hargrove bobblehead.

To top it off, he sold me 28 sports card binders (the padded ones), each binder full of Ultra Pro Platinum pages in VERY good condition. The pages area also pictured. I have no idea how many pages there are exactly, but I'm estimating around 4000. I got the binders and pages for $20 total. Unbelievable deal.

I wanted to share this because I don't get to see too many collections like this outside of National. The other reason being he is looking to sell most of his collection. He's looking to get those autos authenticated, and is seeking advice on the best, most economical way to do so. He also has tons of more-modern sets and star player cards. I know he'd like to keep his RCs, but I'm pretty sure everything else is up for grabs. What would be the best way for him to sell everything? Looking for some input.

Thanks y'all!

BruceinGa 01-06-2017 05:52 AM

Awesome, I can imagine your excitement!

ronniehatesjazz 01-06-2017 06:11 AM

I love the picture of the mick with the ladies lol. Really nice deal on the supplies! I don't really collect autos anymore but I'd say his best bet would be to sell on eBay/here to maximize value over time or going the AH route if he wants to unload quicker.

KMayUSA6060 01-06-2017 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceinGa (Post 1617669)
Awesome, I can imagine your excitement!

To be able to go through these was truly an honor. I find great pleasure in little, simple things like this. To me, I was turning pages of history that not too many other people will ever get the chance to do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronniehatesjazz (Post 1617671)
I love the picture of the mick with the ladies lol. Really nice deal on the supplies! I don't really collect autos anymore but I'd say his best bet would be to sell on eBay/here to maximize value over time or going the AH route if he wants to unload quicker.

Mick with the ladies gave me a good laugh.

The deal on the supplies is truly incredible when you break it down. Approximately 4000 pages (give or take) at $.20 a page (a box of 100 Ultra Pro Platinum pages is just under $20; about $.19 a page) is $800 of value. Granted they are used, but still in phenomenal condition. Even at $.10 a page, that's still $400 in pages that I got with 28 padded binders for $20. I hit the supplies lottery!

Bpm0014 01-06-2017 06:59 AM

I don't know Mantle at all (just Ruth actually haha). But I've seen enough of them on here. Those Mantle's are not good, correct? At least the first one is not good, correct?

david_l 01-06-2017 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bpm0014 (Post 1617679)
I don't know Mantle at all (just Ruth actually haha). But I've seen enough of them on here. Those Mantle's are not good, correct? At least the first one is not good, correct?

They look good to me but I'm far from an expert as well. I've had a few of his autos back in the day though. There's a bunch of Mantle collectors here that would provide insight.

Great story. I've had some great experiences with collectors in Ohio. There's certainly some die-hardship packed into the corners of the state.

Thanks for sharing!

David Luft

KMayUSA6060 01-06-2017 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bpm0014 (Post 1617679)

I'm not an expert, but I have seen a lot of Mantle autos and such. These look legit, plus his story was believable. His dad was a sports car salesman, and bought some of these off of a card/memorabilia shop owner that was shutting down; others in his collection he got in person. Back when he bought these, authenticating items wasn't as accessible as it is today, hence why they are not authentic. Looking at the rest of his collection, I fully believe everything in his collection to be real.

Quote:

Originally Posted by david_l (Post 1617746)
They look good to me but I'm far from an expert as well. I've had a few of his autos back in the day though. There's a bunch of Mantle collectors here that would provide insight.

Great story. I've had some great experiences with collectors in Ohio. There's certainly some die-hardship packed into the corners of the state.

Thanks for sharing!

David Luft

Ohio's weather sucks. But that's about it. Love this state. The corners, as you said, pack some collector's punch. Still trying to build my Ohio collector's network.

Maybe someday I'll get lucky enough to search someone's attic and find these...

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...er-bag-n530726

http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/07/11/...in-ohio-attic/

Leon 01-07-2017 08:04 AM

Original collections are super fun to go through. If you have a quantity of autos to get LOA'd I would imagine one of the ABC authenticators would give a discount. Their space is heating up with competition. Ebay, or an auction house, is the likely venue to sell if they have no access to our BST :).

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 (Post 1617639)
Last October, my fiancee made a Facebook post about looking for cards for me (I do not have a Facebook; shocking for a 22 year old, I know). A guy's wife messaged her, and put her in contact with her husband, who I have conversed with off and on for a few months. He was pulling his cards from binders, and wanted me to come over to check out his collection and see what I wanted to buy. Wednesday night (1/4/17), my fiancee and I stopped over and he showed us his collection. He had two binders on the table in his basement. In one of them were a bunch of Indians autos on photos - Feller, Wynn, '95 Indians, etc. The other binder was full of Mickey Mantle, Hank Aaron, Ted Williams, Joe DiMaggio, and many many more HoFers' autos on photos. I attached a few of the photos. It was incredible. He also had a vintage baseball chess set, with the pieces being star players from throughout the years (Ruth, Musial, DiMaggio, Gehrig, Robinson, etc.). He showed me a display case for baseballs, 3/4 full of baseballs with autos like Mantle, Spahn, etc.

His card collection was incredible as well. Not much that would interest many on this board - tons of '70s, '80s, '90s, '00s RCs from all sports. Tons of value, but not a whole lot that interests me or many other vintage collectors. I ended up buying some Jim Thome's I didn't have, a Thome auto, some vintage Indians, and a Mike "Human Rain Delay" Hargrove bobblehead.

To top it off, he sold me 28 sports card binders (the padded ones), each binder full of Ultra Pro Platinum pages in VERY good condition. The pages area also pictured. I have no idea how many pages there are exactly, but I'm estimating around 4000. I got the binders and pages for $20 total. Unbelievable deal.

I wanted to share this because I don't get to see too many collections like this outside of National. The other reason being he is looking to sell most of his collection. He's looking to get those autos authenticated, and is seeking advice on the best, most economical way to do so. He also has tons of more-modern sets and star player cards. I know he'd like to keep his RCs, but I'm pretty sure everything else is up for grabs. What would be the best way for him to sell everything? Looking for some input.

Thanks y'all!

yanksfan09 01-07-2017 09:34 AM

I don't know about what other signatures may be in the collection, but he should not waste money on authenticating the ones shown unfortunately, imo.

Luke 01-07-2017 10:41 AM

I can never figure out Mantle's auto, but the Aaron stood out right away as no good.

Great deal on the supplies though. The bad news is now you have to spend a ton of $ filling those binders with cards :D

KMayUSA6060 01-07-2017 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yanksfan09 (Post 1618003)
I don't know about what other signatures may be in the collection, but he should not waste money on authenticating the ones shown unfortunately, imo.

Interesting...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke (Post 1618035)
I can never figure out Mantle's auto, but the Aaron stood out right away as no good.

Great deal on the supplies though. The bad news is now you have to spend a ton of $ filling those binders with cards :D

The latter is really a bummer. Buying more cards really sucks. ;)

7nohitter 01-07-2017 05:29 PM

Post this over on the Autograph side and get some opinions.

Sophiedog 01-07-2017 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 (Post 1617639)

Thanks y'all!

Those 3 Mantle photos do not look like Mantle signed them....Unfortunately

Aquarian Sports Cards 01-07-2017 05:48 PM

jealous of your supply buy.

I am in the process of buying a live only sports card auction company that has been in business for over 30 years. One of the things we do well that the big auction houses can't is dedicating an entire auction to one collection.

EDIT: on the triple signed piece I did like the Williams, but I've never seen Mickey's first name look like that. We authenticate and/or guarantee all the autographs we sell at auction.

KMayUSA6060 01-07-2017 08:37 PM

Thanks for the opinions guys. Let me ask this. I'm not an autograph person. However, is there a possibility that Mantle or whichever player signed whichever photo, signed it quickly or inconsistenly at times?

Bestdj777 01-07-2017 09:29 PM

From all I've read, Mantle was pretty consistent. My first impression is that this looks a lot like the junk era forgeries. The Mantles are all similar and all look off. Check on the auto side for some expert opinions though.

Duluth Eskimo 01-07-2017 09:49 PM

What you are showing are all forgeries despite what "believable" story has been presented to you. You can post on the autograph side if you feel like you need more opinions. Sorry for the bad news

KMayUSA6060 01-08-2017 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo (Post 1618244)
What you are showing are all forgeries despite what "believable" story has been presented to you. You can post on the autograph side if you feel like you need more opinions. Sorry for the bad news

Not my autographs. I got the deal of a lifetime on supplies. They're his autos, or forged autos to deal with. Which is unfortunate.

Bpm0014 01-09-2017 07:47 AM

I knew those Mantle's didn't look good!

1880nonsports 01-11-2017 06:36 PM

not even close

hate it when that happens to so many people. They only find out when their stuff is to be sold - often in a time of hardship.

mrvster 01-12-2017 05:25 AM

kyle

wow! any ruth autos???:confused:

KMayUSA6060 01-12-2017 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrvster (Post 1619719)
wow! any ruth autos???:confused:

Nope. And apparently these aren't even real autos, which really sucks for him. Disappointing for me a bit because I was so incredibly intrigued by the binder, but oh well.