Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   1905 Van Oeyen postcards (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=133509)

Rob D. 02-19-2011 07:34 PM

1905 Van Oeyen postcards

3 Attachment(s)
When I first picked up the Louis Van Oeyen postcard of Napoleon Lajoie (portrait), I figured it was just an individual issue and not part of any set. Then a few years later I noticed similarities between it and the team PC from the same season. Then, when the example of Lajoie and James Jefferies turned up last month, it got me to thinking that perhaps Van Oeyen issued a set of Cleveland postcards in 1905. I've not been able to find a set catalogued in any of the reference guides I have.

The style of the printing on the fronts of the three postcards below is consistent, as are the backs. Van Oeyen was a pro's pro when it came to photography and the business aspect of his profession, so it's certainly reasonable to think that he would have issued a set of postcards.

I'm curious whether anyone has different examples that are of the same style as the three below. My guess -- and it's only a guess and not presented as fact -- is that Van Oeyen wouldn't have stopped after producing only three different PCs in this series. But I suppose there are reasons why he might have. Thoughts or opinions?

slidekellyslide 02-19-2011 07:57 PM

Hmmmm...interesting and I concur that it's a set, and there are probably undiscovered examples still hiding out there.

Bicem 02-19-2011 10:11 PM

If there are others, I'm guessing they all are Lajoie related.

bijoem 02-19-2011 10:23 PM

a trio of ugly cards you have there Rob.

yuck.

Jim VB 02-19-2011 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bicem (Post 872573)
If there are others, I'm guessing they all are Lajoie related.

Nicely played! A sleepless nightmare for Rob will follow.

ethicsprof 02-19-2011 11:35 PM

Rob

Your hunch that Van Oeyen made a set of Cleveland postcards in 1905 makes sense to me.
Your three in hand are truly beauties.

I have also believed that Van Oeyen was quite the pro's pro and an expert business person as well as great photographer.
I have been intrigued, however, with my one type 1 Van Oeyen photograph of
R.W Clark, a Cleveland pitcher for a few games over a couple of years, including to his fortune the world series victory year of 1920. It is a photograph of a very happy Clark with a giant smile disclosing incredibly poor teeth and horrific gum disease. It doesn't strike me as the sort of picture that would make Van Oeyen any money ever. I don't think Clark was ever pictured on any baseball card. I don't think Van Oeyen made money ever off this photograph of Clark.
As I said earlier, it intrigues me that the ole business man sometimes was just
a lover of those fine Indians.
Admittedly, Lajoie is a totally different story---one of the truly greats of all time IMHO---who could make Van Oeyen loads of bucks.
I just throw in ole R.W. Clark as an interesting aside, which may well churn the cauldron a wee bit as you incubate the various ideas/theories. Simply put, perhaps we have another occasion when Van Oeyen just loved those fine Indians once again and produced 3 gorgeous PCs---and you are the incredibly fortunate owner of them. I do wish you such good luck, ole friend.

all the best,
barry

Matt 02-20-2011 07:23 AM

Way to connect the dots Rob - looks like a solid conclusion.
Sorry for the ramifications.

Rob D. 02-20-2011 09:29 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethicsprof (Post 872587)
Your hunch that Van Oeyen made a set of Cleveland postcards in 1905 makes sense to me.
Your three in hand are truly beauties.

I have also believed that Van Oeyen was quite the pro's pro and an expert business person as well as great photographer.
I have been intrigued, however, with my one type 1 Van Oeyen photograph of
R.W Clark, a Cleveland pitcher for a few games over a couple of years, including to his fortune the world series victory year of 1920. It is a photograph of a very happy Clark with a giant smile disclosing incredibly poor teeth and horrific gum disease. It doesn't strike me as the sort of picture that would make Van Oeyen any money ever. I don't think Clark was ever pictured on any baseball card. I don't think Van Oeyen made money ever off this photograph of Clark.
As I said earlier, it intrigues me that the ole business man sometimes was just
a lover of those fine Indians.
Admittedly, Lajoie is a totally different story---one of the truly greats of all time IMHO---who could make Van Oeyen loads of bucks.
I just throw in ole R.W. Clark as an interesting aside, which may well churn the cauldron a wee bit as you incubate the various ideas/theories. Simply put, perhaps we have another occasion when Van Oeyen just loved those fine Indians once again and produced 3 gorgeous PCs---and you are the incredibly fortunate owner of them. I do wish you such good luck, ole friend.

all the best,
barry

Barry,

About 15 years ago I was browsing in an antiques mall south of Akron when I came across a sizable panoramic photo of a Cleveland amateur team that was champion of some industrial league in the teens. The photographer? Louis Van Oeyen. Though I had the knowledge of who he was, I hadn't yet developed the appreciation, so I passed on the photo. I still regret it.

Luckily, I didn't make the same mistake on these, which were part of the Halper auction. (I've yet to read a blog post that these are forgeries, fakes or were stolen from the Hall of Fame, knock on wood.)

ethicsprof 02-20-2011 01:46 PM

Rob

I understand the regret. I've been there more times than i like to remember.
Still, those fabulous pieces from the Halper auction with Van Oeyen so gorgeously displayed must make you mighty happy.
Congrats,
and all the best,

barry

slidekellyslide 02-20-2011 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob D. (Post 872639)

Luckily, I didn't make the same mistake on these, which were part of the Halper auction. (I've yet to read a blog post that these are forgeries, fakes or were stolen from the Hall of Fame, knock on wood.)

If they were stolen the Hall of Fame doesn't care....so you got that going for you.