Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   First issue of Sports Illustrated (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=240939)

quitcrab 06-12-2017 03:50 AM

First issue of Sports Illustrated

Just thought I would start a thread on the first issue.

Are the card inserts that have been hand cut gradable?
Do you think the original mailing envelope really adds to the value?
Why do you think about grading the magazine through the company that graded comic books ?
What do you think the value of. Near perfect issue with all the cards ?

If you have. Ever seen the 3 page pull out of the 1954 cards, it's worth seeing.Prstty cool !!
Maybe someone has a pix to post. Thanks Scott

Bestdj777 06-12-2017 04:26 AM

Wrong section.

Leon 06-12-2017 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bestdj777 (Post 1670078)
Wrong section.

Moved

To the OP- please be careful where you put your threads. This one was in a buy sell trade area before it was moved. thanks

Fballguy 06-12-2017 06:57 AM

Too many sections

One of the negatives about this site. Too many sections related to similar topics with strict posting rules. Pretty confusing layout. A little streamlining would go a long way.

Leon 06-12-2017 07:56 AM

A negative to a few of the 8000 members. A person can always PM me or another moderator if they don't know what they are doing or can't read very well. I would like anyone to explain how it is difficult to read those 8 icons (sections) across the top of every page? Add to that this is the most popular forum software in existence and we get back to the "can't please everyone no matter what so we do it the way it is easiest for most". This forum might be just a little too complicated for some members.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fballguy (Post 1670088)
One of the negatives about this site. Too many sections related to similar topics with strict posting rules. Pretty confusing layout. A little streamlining would go a long way.

Fballguy 06-12-2017 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1670101)
A negative to a few of the 8000 members. A person can always PM me or another moderator if they don't know what they are doing or can't read very well. I would like anyone to explain how it is difficult to read those 8 icons (sections) across the top of every page? Add to that this is the most popular forum software in existence and we get back to the "can't please everyone no matter what so we do it the way it is easiest for most". This forum might be just a little too complicated for some members.

Sorry to touch a nerve. Just seems a little disorganized.

Why is the vintage sports memorabilia forum under the heading "Pre WWII forums"? Many threads in that forum are post WWII.

Why is "Water cooler" under the heading "Post war sport cards"?

I guess I'm not sharp enough to understand.

Leon 06-12-2017 09:37 AM

The board was already formed when we added more sections.
We went with what happens when you click on icons. For me, and many of us old guys, it's easier to click on pictures. ..thanks

btw, if you click the icons you find the sections easier than what you are doing by clicking on the linked forums...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fballguy (Post 1670135)
Sorry to touch a nerve. Just seems a little disorganized.

Why is the vintage sports memorabilia forum under the heading "Pre WWII forums"? Many threads in that forum are post WWII.

Why is "Water cooler" under the heading "Post war sport cards"?

I guess I'm not sharp enough to understand.

drcy 06-12-2017 12:19 PM

There is some overlap. For example, this post could go into the memorabilia or Post-War cards section.

drcy 06-12-2017 12:22 PM

And to address the questions the best I can:

Are the card inserts that have been hand cut gradable?
I've never seen it, but I assume they could be. I have see the individual cards in holders by the "lesser/suspect" grading companies (AAA, etc), but clearly PSA and SGC do grade similar cut cards, such as the MLB stamps and SI for Kids cards.

Do you think the original mailing envelope really adds to the value?
If there is an original mailing envelope (not sure how they were mailed), it definitely would, as such items always add to value and are often rare/scarce.

Why do you think about grading the magazine through the company that graded comic books ?
Sounds good to me, if you want it graded. Would fall into their specialty. Also Beckett's got a big holder that I assume the SI would fit in.

What do you think the value of. Near perfect issue with all the cards ?
Don't know.

Bestdj777 06-12-2017 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bestdj777 (Post 1670078)
Wrong section.

I should apologize for the short post as I wasn't trying to sound like a jerk. I was just hoping it ended up in the right section as I'm curious what the answers from other members are. I have the issue with Mantle in it and they are terrific cards.

Here are my though: I have no idea regarding price. As for grading, I don't think PSA would grade the handcut cards at this point, but it seems like SGC is more likely to recognize items like this. That said, I hope no one graded them. The second someone starts, people will start chopping these magazines up. And, I like them as is and think that would be a shame. As for grading the whole magazine, I would think that magazine collectors may like that but not necessarily card collectors. I doubt I'd pay a premium for a graded copy.

certainteed52 06-12-2017 07:05 PM

Hardcover version

I have a hardcover version of the first issue of sports illustrated do anyone know why these were produced?

sicollector1954 06-12-2017 10:50 PM

S.I.'s

I have had 3 in the past and currently have kept one. The hard cover has a denim look to it with the printing of S.I. all over it...the hardcover also serves as a great protection for the magazine/cards which are found inside. The current issue I have was signed by Eddie Mathews back in the day. I asked him about having ever seen one before and he said he had not. I have heard that perhaps these were issued to the first 500 regular subscribers as a "thank you" but have no proof that this was the case....maybe someone else can shed some light.

certainteed52 06-14-2017 05:23 PM

Images from my hardcover 1954 SI

5 Attachment(s)
First issue of SI

sicollector1954 06-15-2017 05:13 AM

S.I.'s

Yes..that is it.....Mathews signed for me on the opposite page of the photo page in blue ink and also put the date....The other 2 people in that photo taken at county stadium are Augie Donnetelli and Wes Westrom.

frankbmd 06-16-2017 07:58 PM

With cards in the magazine as mine are, grading the magazine would truly entomb them. You might want to look at them one more time before encapsulation. I got mine 25 years ago and am not familiar with current pricing. I think I paid $150 and would hope its worth more now.

Peter_Spaeth 06-16-2017 08:53 PM

I have never seen one of the paper "cards" graded by a major service. I highly doubt they would.