Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ebay Feedback loophole (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=239316)

Runscott 05-05-2017 02:15 PM

Ebay Feedback loophole

Ebay came through for me on an unwarranted negative feedback, and it revealed a feedback loophole that others here were not aware of, so thought I'd mention it.

I had a customer buy an item, then ask for a refund before I even shipped it. He said that the item was not as described. I immediately sent a refund to him with no comment back to him. I still had the item in hand, so it was no issue. He then asked via ebay what the lowest amount was that I would take on another item. Sensing impending problems, I immediately blocked him, again with no reply, and he responded by giving me a negative: "WARNING- WARNING-blocked me because his description wasn't accurate!!!"

I called ebay and they immediately removed it (or are doing so now). Because he asked me to cancel the transaction prior to receiving the item, ebay said he had no right to give negative feedback regarding the description.

bobbyw8469 05-05-2017 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 1658246)
Ebay came through for me on an unwarranted negative feedback, and it revealed a feedback loophole that others here were not aware of, so thought I'd mention it.

I had a customer buy an item, then ask for a refund before I even shipped it. He said that the item was not as described. I immediately sent a refund to him with no comment back to him. I still had the item in hand, so it was no issue. He then asked via ebay what the lowest amount was that I would take on another item. Sensing impending problems, I immediately blocked him, again with no reply, and he responded by giving me a negative: "WARNING- WARNING-blocked me because his description wasn't accurate!!!"

I called ebay and they immediately removed it (or are doing so now). Because he asked me to cancel the transaction prior to receiving the item, ebay said he had no right to give negative feedback regarding the description.

Don't hold your breath. I got a negative because I buyer won a Clemente rookie with a qualifer (if no qualifier, it would have been a $1,200 card, not the $400 he won it for). He claimed he didn't know it had a qualifier, even though it was listed on the card, listed in the header, listed in the auction body, etc. Ebay really doesn't care about the feedback system. I wish you luck in getting it removed, but don't be surprised if they don't. Your real customers won't care if you got a negative.

mattjc1983 05-05-2017 04:24 PM

Very interesting. I agree with Bobby though. When I first started using eBay around 99 or 2000, it felt like people lived and died by every piece of feedback they got.

Today, there seem to be so few small sellers left that feedback is really irrelevant. What's a few hundred negative feedback every six months out of tens of thousands?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D. Bergin 05-05-2017 07:00 PM

Quote:

LOL. I love those guys. They exist on Ebay AND at the very few memorabilia shows I set up at.

"Your item sucks, I hate your item..........ummmm what's the lowest you would take for it?"

I even had one guy lowball me at a show on an item, I told him to take a hike, and then about 6 months later, he ended up paying me twice as much on Ebay, what I originally offered the item to him for at the show.

Then he told me again, how much my item sucked, and that it wasn't what he was expecting, what could I give him to make him happy? I told him to return it for a full refund or take a hike again......and I never heard from him again............until I saw an article in a trade publication he wrote, about the very same item I sold him, and what a great, wonderful, historic item it is, and must be.

:D

drcy 05-06-2017 08:57 AM

Long ago a card show scam was for someone to claim autographs were forgeries in order to get them at a low price. That of course begs the obvious question of "If you think they are forgeries, why would you want them at any price?"

slidekellyslide 05-07-2017 05:50 PM

I had a guy who sniped one of my auctions and then within minutes sent a cancellation request. I cancelled for him because what are you going to do? Obviously he wasn't going to pay. But I did send a nasty message that said he doesn't belong on ebay if he's going to bid and then immediately request a cancellation. He left me a negative a few weeks later that said I was rude. I called ebay and they immediately removed his negative. I did ask them how it was possible for someone to leave negative for an item they didn't purchase and they said it was a loophole that they were looking at closing.

ooo-ribay 05-07-2017 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattjc1983 (Post 1658290)
Very interesting. I agree with Bobby though. When I first started using eBay around 99 or 2000, it felt like people lived and died by every piece of feedback they got.

Today, there seem to be so few small sellers left that feedback is really irrelevant. What's a few hundred negative feedback every six months out of tens of thousands?

I'm not sure if you're being facetious or not but, IMO, no one should have "a few hundred negative feedback" regardless of what percentage of the total those represent.

Runscott 05-09-2017 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slidekellyslide (Post 1658954)
I did ask them how it was possible for someone to leave negative for an item they didn't purchase and they said it was a loophole that they were looking at closing.

Ebay told me that my negative fb was also due to a loophole - if the customer asked for a cancel they are not allowed to leave feedback.

bobbyw8469 05-09-2017 12:39 PM

Yes...yours should be removed.....mine was a case of a guy not knowing a card had a qualifier (bullshit) even though the qualifier was plastered all over the auction. No matter what happens though, don't sweat it.....

Runscott 05-09-2017 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 1659627)
No matter what happens though, don't sweat it.....

That's the key, as long as you don't care about your profit.

Aquarian Sports Cards 05-09-2017 06:34 PM

Quote:

Please PM me exact ebay username so I can block him now. THANKS!