Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   I feel sorry... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=193173)

HOF Auto Rookies 08-29-2014 11:21 PM

I feel sorry...

For the person who wins this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-Bowman-...item566926f5bd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

esehombre 08-30-2014 01:43 AM

But its in pristine condition

I dont feel sorry for the person as a fool and his money are soon parted. Hopefully he/she enjoys it for many years to come..

JT 08-30-2014 03:25 AM

That is just plain stupid.

GrayGhost 08-30-2014 05:13 AM

People are so stupid with these new intentionally limited cards. The Strasburg cards were the best example. If you have that much money, give it to me, or someone who is financially poor. Or if u want to buy sports stuff, get somethig that is a REAL investment, Mantle, Vintage ruth, etc. Clowns.

johnmh71 08-30-2014 06:49 AM

It is dumb. Why not put that towards an authentic Ruth ball? No offense to the player on the card, but nothing is a sure thing when it comes to a career in sports.

Jay Wolt 08-30-2014 07:00 AM

If someone can afford it & it makes them happy to win it, more power to them.
This is a vintage board & not everyone collects like we do.
And if I had that kind of scratch, I too would be buying something different, but its not ours to spend.

thetruthisoutthere 08-30-2014 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Wolt (Post 1316292)
If someone can afford it & it makes them happy to win it, more power to them.
This is a vintage board & not everyone collects like we do.
And if I had that kind of scratch, I too would be buying something different, but its not ours to spend.

I agree. If someone can afford it, it's their money.

I remember collectors (?) spending $15,000 for Jeremy Lin autographed rookie cards and someone spent over $40,000 on a Strasburg card.

To each their own.

RichardSimon 08-30-2014 08:58 AM

Everyone out there is entitled to be stupid.

Runscott 08-30-2014 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrayGhost (Post 1316281)
Or if u want to buy sports stuff, get somethig that is a REAL investment, Mantle, Vintage ruth, etc. Clowns.

I agree with the other Scott - buy clown autographs: Schacht and Patkin autographs

johnmh71 08-30-2014 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 1316334)
I agree with the other Scott - buy clown autographs: Schacht and Patkin autographs

It may be a better investment in the long run.

brewing 08-30-2014 10:58 AM

Is like to agree with you, but I've been there. Now where did I put that stack of Cory Snyder rookies cards? Oh, yea. Right next to my box of Mike Greenwell rookies.

yanksfan09 08-30-2014 11:41 AM

On the bright side, it's less money chasing nice pre war cards /memorabilia so he's not driving the price up on stuff we buy....

sbfinley 08-30-2014 12:36 PM

Winner will almost certainly be a repack company like Leaf or the hobby shop out of CA that produces their own repackaged product. They will use it to headline their next product issue and almost certainly make a solid profit. The card will almost certainly be pulled in group break (like its seems Net54 will get into soon) and that person will only be into a card with a previous five figure sale only a fraction of that price. Not to mention the coin the person who pulled the card is looking at. I wouldn't ever personally pay that much for a card of someone who doesn't even have a MLB at bat yet, but I'm hesitant to label it stupid when at least four parties (probstein included) stand to profit in the near future.

HRBAKER 08-30-2014 01:10 PM

I don't know, investing in Cubs has always been a strong long term play. :)

Bored5000 08-30-2014 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbfinley (Post 1316417)
Winner will almost certainly be a repack company like Leaf or the hobby shop out of CA that produces their own repackaged product. They will use it to headline their next product issue and almost certainly make a solid profit. The card will almost certainly be pulled in group break (like its seems Net54 will get into soon) and that person will only be into a card with a previous five figure sale only a fraction of that price. Not to mention the coin the person who pulled the card is looking at. I wouldn't ever personally pay that much for a card of someone who doesn't even have a MLB at bat yet, but I'm hesitant to label it stupid when at least four parties (probstein included) stand to profit in the near future.

That is largely how I look at it as well. Modern cards aren't my thing at all, but I am reluctant to call someone speculating on one or buying one "dumb" or "stupid." People can spend their money on whatever they want. To a very large segment of the population, spending $10K on any baseball card -- pre-war or modern -- would be "dumb" or "stupid."

Sure, pre-war cards hold their value better than flavor of the month modern cards. But a collector can also lose his shirt on a $10,000 individual pre-war card as well.

yanks12025 08-30-2014 01:56 PM

Hey. Good thing at least is that it's a real auto. What about the people who spend thousands on signed baseball cards, and they contain fake autos.

HOF Auto Rookies 08-30-2014 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yanks12025 (Post 1316440)
Hey. Good thing at least is that it's a real auto. What about the people who spend thousands on signed baseball cards, and they contain fake autos.

Who knows if it's real, they don't all have reps sitting with all these players any given time while they sign. I think there was some issue in the past like with Bernie Williams I believe where he had someone else sign his "certified" cards.

Runscott 08-30-2014 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bored5000 (Post 1316437)
That is largely how I look at it as well. Modern cards aren't my thing at all, but I am reluctant to call someone speculating on one or buying one "dumb" or "stupid." People can spend their money on whatever they want. To a very large segment of the population, spending $10K on any baseball card -- pre-war or modern -- would be "dumb" or "stupid."

Sure, pre-war cards hold their value better than flavor of the month modern cards. But a collector can also lose his shirt on a $10,000 individual pre-war card as well.

A couple of big differences I see: for a collector to lose his shirt on a $10K pre-war card, he has to get caught up in a bidding war that is emotional (most $10K pre-war cards have fairly well established values that are stable for longer periods). A speculative $10 modern card can lose its value really quickly.

The second difference is the collector/dealer relationship. I could certainly be wrong about this, as I am not involved in modern cards, but my guess is that dealers are generally going to dump the high-priced modern speculative cards quickly, while they have high 'value'. In other words, much more likely that the collector gets caught without a chair, than with collectors of pre-war stuff. Basically, dealers of modern stuff are turning it over more quickly because they know it's more dangerous to hang onto things. I also suspect there are more collector/dealer types with prewar, whereas with modern there are probably a lot of straight dealers.

johnmh71 08-30-2014 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bored5000 (Post 1316437)

Seriously? I beg to differ based on the last 30 years of card collecting. The only way you can lose your shirt on a $10,000 pre-war card is if you paid way more than it was worth. It isn't going to go down in value.

HOF Auto Rookies 08-30-2014 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 1316445)
A speculative $10 modern card can lose its value really.

This is it right here, Bryant steps out of the box wrong, can't avoid a pitch or what not, career could be done and that $10k card is now in a $20 bin.

Runscott 08-30-2014 02:26 PM

I meant $10k card, not $10...whoops.

HOF Auto Rookies 08-30-2014 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 1316450)
I meant $10k card, not $10...whoops.

I figured what you meant lol even $10 moderns can do down in a blink of an eye

Bored5000 08-30-2014 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnmh71 (Post 1316446)
The only way you can lose your shirt on a $10,000 pre-war card is if you paid way more than it was worth.

That is a pretty huge caveat. You can't lose money unless you pay more than something is worth. LOL Assuming there is no shilling going on, a card is worth what someone is willing to pay in an honest auction at that point in time. Of course, I know that pre-war cards hold their value far better. But there seems to be a lot of angst in this thread over how other people choose to spend their money or collect.

JimStinson 08-30-2014 03:17 PM

JimStinson

Who is Kris Bryant ? Looks exactly like the kid that just took by drive through order at Burger King

Bored5000 08-30-2014 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnmh71 (Post 1316446)
The only way you can lose your shirt on a $10,000 pre-war card is if you paid way more than it was worth. It isn't going to go down in value.

I am a Thorpe fan, so I kinda follow most of his major cards when they come at auction. One of the big price drops I remember just off the top of my head was a Thorpe M101-4 that sold for $44K at REA in 2008. The exact same card then sold for $14K just three years later at Memory Lane. I would consider that "losing your shirt." Certainly, pre-war cards are far, far more likely to hold their value or increase in value. I would never argue otherwise. But there is no guarantee of that. :)

http://www.cardtarget.com/cgi-bin/gm...dID=2013570207

Michael B 08-30-2014 03:53 PM

No opinoin on someone spending that type of money. It is their prerogative. The card itself is such a horrible photoshop job. I cannot tell if they put his face on someone elses body, or if they dropped an oversized Cubs helmet on top of his image. Smiling while running to first - SERIOUSLY???. Plus, the jersey color looks too blue, almost cartoonish.

Runscott 08-30-2014 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bored5000 (Post 1316464)
But there seems to be a lot of angst in this thread over how other people choose to spend their money or collect.

I missed the angst. Maybe that's something that you are expect people to be thinking, but it's not really there - I doubt anyone cares how anyone else spends their money. In Cleveland, I got to see first-hand, all the kids AND grown-ups getting all excited about the new cards, digging through boxes and boxes of brand-new cards that had been, I guess, busted out of packs. It seemed like a great thing to me. I just am not knowledgeable enough to participate in the same searches, but I did wonder what it would take to gain that sort of market knowledge.

Runscott 08-30-2014 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimStinson (Post 1316465)
Who is Kris Bryant ? Looks exactly like the kid that just took by drive through order at Burger King

I hope you are getting mustard Whoppers - that mayonnaise is nasty.

Tom Hufford 08-30-2014 09:17 PM

Every one of us who ever won anything in an auction paid more than anyone else on the planet (who knew about the auction) thought it was worth (or could afford to pay). So, should any of us really expect to make a profit on anything we win at auction, if we have already outbit the market?

I notice this Kris Bryant card is number 5 of 5. Wanna bet that numbers 1, 2, 3, and 4 added together don't bring half what this one will sell for?

johnmh71 08-30-2014 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bored5000 (Post 1316467)
I am a Thorpe fan, so I kinda follow most of his major cards when they come at auction. One of the big price drops I remember just off the top of my head was a Thorpe M101-4 that sold for $44K at REA in 2008. The exact same card then sold for $14K just three years later at Memory Lane. I would consider that "losing your shirt." Certainly, pre-war cards are far, far more likely to hold their value or increase in value. I would never argue otherwise. But there is no guarantee of that. :)

http://www.cardtarget.com/cgi-bin/gm...dID=2013570207

When I stated that it wasn't going to go down in value, I meant it wouldn't be worthless, which is where the Kris Bryant card may be headed some day. I wish the best of luck to whoever bought it.

RichardSimon 09-01-2014 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimStinson (Post 1316465)

Isn't he the white sheep of the Kobe Bryant family?

JimStinson 09-01-2014 12:58 PM

JimStinson

1 Attachment(s)
Rich, Look at this photo and imagine the guy without the baseball cap and tell me it does not look like the same guy !!!:):):)
Plus they are both running from SOMETHING which automatically makes me suspicious

Vintage autographs for sale on my web site
stinsonsports.com

djson1 09-19-2014 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimStinson (Post 1317187)
Rich, Look at this photo and imagine the guy without the baseball cap and tell me it does not look like the same guy !!!:):):)
Plus they are both running from SOMETHING which automatically makes me suspicious

Jim, I don't know you personally, but I can tell you're a big hamburger fan. :p

Leon 09-19-2014 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimStinson (Post 1317187)

Vintage autographs for sale on my web site
stinsonsports.com

The last Kips closed several years ago in our neck of the woods. A bygone era...

and to the topic, 10k for that card, to me (personally) is crazy....but I wouldn't doubt what I do is crazy to whomever bought it. As someone mentioned I would rather that buyer spend 10k on that than running me up on something I collect :).

DHogan 09-22-2014 04:53 PM

Ugly is only skin deep. Stupid goes to the bone. Especially on cards like that.

packs 09-22-2014 05:40 PM

No offense guys but Bryant hit 43 home runs this year across the top two minor league levels and hit .325.

That is a crazy price for a card of a guy who never played a major league game. But I have no idea what his looks have to do with anything. Gonna be hard to make any money paying that much though. Even if he does pan out.

Come on, some of you guys collect Honus Wagner. Talk about the ugly stick.

w7imel 09-22-2014 06:37 PM

For all we know his mother may have bought it, or another family member i mean really if you got that king of money 10 k isnt that much

HOF Auto Rookies 09-26-2014 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by w7imel (Post 1325705)
For all we know his mother may have bought it, or another family member i mean really if you got that king of money 10 k isnt that much

I hope they wouldn't pay 10k for their sons/grandson/cousin etc. autograph...