Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Why prewar IMO will always be a better investment (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=256248)

Snapolit1 06-13-2018 11:02 AM

Why prewar IMO will always be a better investment

Heritage Sports‏ @Heritage_Sport · 50s50 seconds ago

Today we received another incredible raw 1950s card collection. Over 1200 cards, untouched since the 50s and in amazing condition. They should realize hundreds of thousands of dollars. On their way to @PSAcard now to be graded.

Imagine how many rookie Trouts, Michael Jordans, and shiny things of all stripes and colors are still sitting out there in boxes and binders ungraded.

Dpeck100 06-13-2018 11:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
If this keeps up it certainly could be an issue for prices going forward.

Both of these Mantle’s have excellent centering too.

glynparson 06-13-2018 12:08 PM

It’s assumed

Most people assume there are numerous collections sitting out there. People that don’t think so are foolish. For the record there are prewar finds yet to be made as well see the fairly recent sky dash, black swamp, and Cobb back finds for just a few examples. I don’t expect nor does any reasonable person that the population on a post war card like the dice game mantle is ever going to be exceedingly high. So it’s rough to make a blanket this era is better than that era statement. Blue chip players, I feel , are the best wether modern, 50s, or prewar.

Snapolit1 06-13-2018 02:09 PM

Sure there will be more "pre-war" finds. Many of them embellished with the usual dramatic tales of bogus grade A horse crap. But I think most Americans in the 20s, 30s, and 40s had more pressing and immediate needs than worrying about preserving baseball cards for some future generation. The depression. World Wars. My grand parents were likely far more concerned with hoarding apples and powdered oatmeal than baseball cards.

Aquarian Sports Cards 06-13-2018 04:18 PM

Just looked at a 50's "Find" today. there are hundreds of these finds out there and they will show up more and more frequently as that generation passes on or moves to retirement homes etc...

By find I am talking one owner new to market cards. No emphasis on size or quality. I have bought one of these already and the one I looked at today was a little bigger than that first one. Avg condition EX on both.

Exhibitman 06-13-2018 05:43 PM

I don't really believe that anyone can make a qualitative statement about what cards will be the best investment. It is all relative: how cheap you get in is probably the best predictor of how you make out, regardless of what cards are involved. One of the best deals I ever made was for two shoeboxes of 1950s-1960s cards. The condition was all over the place but mostly vg-ex, but I got in at such a nice price point that it was a great deal.

Collecting history is filled with stories of people who've thought they could predict what would be worth what in a decade and who've gotten it wrong. Look at postwar mainstream higher condition graded commons (6-7-8). I remember some rather vocal members here with a fortune in PSA postwar mainstream card sets. Whoops... Try selling a PSA 8 1950s non-high-# Joe Shlabotnick and you will see; if you bought it 12-15 years ago at market then you often can't even get your purchase price back. If you send common cards from that era in raw for grading, you pretty much have to pull a 9 or 10 to make any real money. The 8s are a break-even proposition and you will often lose money on the 6s and 7s that were a decent selling item a decade ago.

Leon 06-14-2018 07:06 AM

I don't think there is any doubt that the 1950s through 1970s Topps commons are becoming even more common.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 1786366)
Just looked at a 50's "Find" today. there are hundreds of these finds out there and they will show up more and more frequently as that generation passes on or moves to retirement homes etc...

By find I am talking one owner new to market cards. No emphasis on size or quality. I have bought one of these already and the one I looked at today was a little bigger than that first one. Avg condition EX on both.

Peter_Spaeth 06-14-2018 07:40 AM

In the early registry days certain guys were paying insane prices for 8s and 9s on commons that were low pop only because they were hard to find centered. But it was stupid because it was inevitable that over time the pops would go up as more were submitted, PSA gave 8s on borderline centered cards that had been 7s, (probably) cards were shaved slightly to improve their centering, etc.

Scott L. 06-14-2018 07:53 AM

Wonder what ever happened to Jim Crandall and his quest for however many it was PSA 8 graded sets? I assume his investments in all those PSA 8 commons back then has taken a hit.

rats60 06-14-2018 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1786508)
In the early registry days certain guys were paying insane prices for 8s and 9s on commons that were low pop only because they were hard to find centered. But it was stupid because it was inevitable that over time the pops would go up as more were submitted, PSA gave 8s on borderline centered cards that had been 7s, (probably) cards were shaved slightly to improve their centering, etc.

How many of those 8s and 9s would be 6s or 7s today?Guys spent big dollars on cards that have not only gone down, but cards that people won't buy because they are overgraded. I see that all the time when looking a t205s. Cards in old holders with 7, 6 or 5 attached and I just pass because they are expecting two, three or even more times what the card is really worth in today's market. With patience an accurately graded card comes along at a reasonable price.

It wasn't that long ago that there was a thread on here about a t206 set being broken and auctioned. Most of the high dollar cards, starting with the Wagner, were in older holders and people here pointed them out as being overgraded. When the auction ended, the sales prices were much lower than others of the same grade had recently sold for.

conor912 06-14-2018 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1786498)
I don't think there is any doubt that the 1950s through 1970s Topps commons are becoming even more common.

I unloaded the last of my postwar a few months ago. Without doubt the supply of that stuff seems to be going up. 50's/60's Topps have become as ubiquitous at '89 Donruss, IMO.

ALR-bishop 06-14-2018 11:34 AM

Adam---one can never have too many Joe Shlabotnick cards

https://shlabotnikreport.files.wordp...shlabotnik.jpg

btcarfagno 06-14-2018 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 1786619)
Adam---one can never have too many Joe Shlabotnick cards

https://shlabotnikreport.files.wordp...shlabotnik.jpg

Looks like Gregory Polanco on an almost nightly basis...

T206Collector 06-14-2018 12:21 PM

The definition of "FIND" is worth considering. Ever flip through an auction catalog from the 1990s or early 2000s? There is some amazing pre-war stuff out there in private collections that has been socked away.

Jeff Morey sold his signed pre-war card collection at Mastro Auctions in 2001. About 32 signed T & E cards that haven't seen the light of day since. I can't wait until the owner (or his/her heirs) divest that collection!

KMayUSA6060 06-14-2018 01:06 PM

I find this debate to be VERY interesting because it isn't just a supply/demand issue. It's an outreach issue as well. Am I correct in assuming a reason for the sudden availability for Post War cards is the news of popularity in Post War has reached the right people with a collection of Post War in their attic that they either had passed on to them or collected and don't really care about anymore?

I wonder the amount of people like that, that exist on the Pre War side.

Exhibitman 06-14-2018 04:50 PM

Well, we are in the right age range now for people who collected cards as kids in the 1940s-1950s to start downsizing...whether they do so voluntarily or by attrition and estate liquidation.