Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Bob Lemke's Amazing Custom Cards (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=233707)

Tyranusberg 01-11-2017 12:16 PM

Bob Lemke's Amazing Custom Cards

3 Attachment(s)
Bob Lemke, may he Rest In Peace, was indisputedly one of the most important figures in the hobby in the past 30 years. As discussed, his contributions through SCD, Baseball Cards Magazine and the Standard Catalog are profound. In retirement he added yet another feather to his cap by creating some of the coolest and most accurate custom cards ever created. His attention to the details is truly remarkable. From his meticulous use of age accurate images and autographs, to exceptional recreations of the backs of the cards (including appropriate cardboard texture, cartoons and facts), his custom cards in my opinion are the high water mark of the genre. Of course Bob not only created these cards virtually, but also physically by printing them and constructing them himself. Attached are a few of my favorites. He will be missed.

jchcollins 01-11-2017 07:31 PM

RIP Bob. A true hobby legend.

CW 01-11-2017 08:53 PM

Nice tribute to Bob, may he rest in peace.

Bob really took custom cards to a new level with the backs, too. Reproducing an accurate front is hard enough, but making the reverse look right couldn't have been easy.

bnorth 01-11-2017 10:14 PM

Bob was an inspiration and great help to me when it comes to making custom pieces. After buying 2 of his Jellos boxes I couldn't just leave them a flat piece of paper. I had to cut them out and fold them into a box. Then I took it to another level by designing some of my own Jello and Wheaties boxes that actually contain jello and cereal. I know his help/advice was greatly appreciated in making custom pieces.

brian1961 01-12-2017 11:57 AM

Tyranusberg---

Thanks for loading up some of Bob Lemke's custom card creations.

Mr. Lemke was an inspiration to me as well. When I wanted to "get off on the wild side" with the last chapter of my book, entitled, "Have You Ever Dreamed of Cards That Never Were?", Bob Lemke's passionate pursuit of making dream fantasy cards was my inspiration. With the help of a computer graphic artist who is also an artist in her own right, and a very helpful perfectionist print shop worker, I was able to "bring to life" 1954 Wilson Franks cards of Jackie Robinson and Mickey Mantle. Since I couldn't decide between the two photos I loved best for Jack and Mick, I decided to make separate variations, with different write-ups on their backsides. That was so much fun, and very fulfilling! I wish now I had written a letter to Mr. Lemke to thank him for his custom work and influence on me, as well as to offer him any of my fantasy cards, at a discount price. Oh well:(.

I sure love that 1967 Topps Sandy Koufax. That was one of Bob's cards I still wanted. Again---:(

Mr. Lemke sure knew what he was doing! ---Brian Powell

horzverti 01-12-2017 06:40 PM

Details

I like the appropriate numbering of the cards. The B.C.G. (Bobbs Chewing Gum) is a clever touch too.

brian1961 01-13-2017 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horzverti (Post 1619984)
I like the appropriate numbering of the cards. The B.C.G. (Bobbs Chewing Gum) is a clever touch too.

I have known for years about his striving to make sure his custom cards fit the given set to which it was extending; hence, the proper card number on the back. However, I was unaware of Mr. Lemke's brilliant touch of the B.C.G. (Bob's Chewing Gum). I am so impressed by that. I know Bob was NEVER trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes, but even the most cynical would have to be amazed at such a simple, tasteful proof his card was indeed a homage to the Topps, but a clear-cut fantasy, and moreover, was his custom work. Truly, well done, Bob Lemke.

---Brian Powell

stlcardsfan 01-13-2017 12:42 PM

Incredible work! Here's more:

https://www.google.com/search?q=bob+...HS-oDZUQsAQIRQ

NiceDocter 01-19-2017 12:32 AM

That last link blew me totally away! You've just got to smile when you see some of those cards..... kind of felt like I did when I was opening packs as a kid and seeing a star on a card Id never seen before.... so well done and so much variety and attention to detail! INCREDIBLE!!

brian1961 01-19-2017 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlcardsfan (Post 1620176)

Agreed. What a dazzling array of well-done custom cards from Mr. Lemke. --Brian Powell

KingFisk 01-20-2017 04:45 PM

That '71 Fisk is one I wish was in my collection...stunning.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

bgar3 01-21-2017 09:45 AM

Available?

Does anyone know if they are still available and how to order them, if they are?

Cliff Bowman 01-22-2017 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgar3 (Post 1622709)
Does anyone know if they are still available and how to order them, if they are?

I sent an email to an address that he used on his blog site asking about that and I received this reply a few days later, "We are going to start working on requests in Feb. There is a limited amount available".

bgar3 01-22-2017 10:41 AM

Thank you

Thank you very much.