Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Hofstra show (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=238079)

Snapolit1 04-08-2017 02:21 PM

Hofstra show

Was thinking of driving out tomorrow, but it's a bit of a haul. For someone who was there this weekend, how does this show compare to White Plains or Philly for good vintage stuff?

Dollar bins and refractor cards ain't what I'm driving hours for . . . .

TobaccoKing4 04-08-2017 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1648897)
Was thinking of driving out tomorrow, but it's a bit of a haul. For someone who was there this weekend, how does this show compare to White Plains or Philly for good vintage stuff?

Dollar bins and refractor cards ain't what I'm driving hours for . . . .

I was there today. I haven't been to the White Plains or Philly shows but the Hofstra show was significantly smaller than what I remembered it to be when I was last there in 08/09.

There was a decent mix of pre-war cards there but the bulk of the vintage seemed like it was 50s & 60s. Definitely saw some nice higher end Cobbs and Wa-Jos. They also had an auction preview there which had a T206 Wagner, T206 Plank, and T206 Magie all on display. The Plank and Magie were both higher grade examples and were cool to see in person. If you're local to Hofstra then I'd say it's worth the trip, but if you are making a long trip I don't think you'll be happy with what you find if you decide to go.

Snapolit1 04-08-2017 02:43 PM

Thanks!

Bigb13 04-09-2017 07:15 AM

I was there yesterday terrible show place was empty. Very few pre war John Goodman was there with his wide collection of t206's. SGC was there but not PSA. Not one of there shows.

TobaccoKing4 04-09-2017 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigb13 (Post 1649115)
I was there yesterday terrible show place was empty. Very few pre war John Goodman was there with his wide collection of t206's. SGC was there but not PSA. Not one of there shows.

Did the show seem significantly smaller to you than it used to be during the mid and late 00s? I was a kid when I was there at that time period so I'm not sure if I'm just remembering incorrectly or if it really is much smaller now than it used to be.

Bigb13 04-09-2017 07:55 AM

Smaller and 95% newer stuff not much vintage at all. And they say 300 tables but I doubt it. A lot of bobble heads and posters.

yanksfan09 04-09-2017 08:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I was there yesterday, seemed fairly crowded I though I was there like mid day 11-2 maybe. It's in a much bigger room than White Plains show so things are more spread out maybe.

I only bought one card, seems like White Plains usually has a little more vintage but I had an okay time. Got to look at a couple Ruth rookies and other early rare stuff.

My one pickup, a cheap DiMaggio RC...