Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Help dating 2 Boston Braves stubs/rain checks (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=294124)

mainemule 12-31-2020 09:24 AM

Help dating 2 Boston Braves stubs/rain checks

2 Attachment(s)
I found these at a local antiques mall yesterday.

I can clearly date the first ticket and found the game score on several sites. Branca vs. Sain and Snider HR for Brooklyn.

I have completely struck out identifying the other 2 Braves stubs/rain checks. I researched extensively, including reading KeyMan's site for Yankee stubs, but no go.

Can anyone help?

Also, thoughts on the Portland Baseball Assoc. stub?

TIA

Scott Garner 12-31-2020 09:33 AM

Hi Scott,
There is no way to date the other two tickets.
By looking up the Braves team President, you can at least nail down the era.

mainemule 12-31-2020 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Garner (Post 2051408)
Hi Scott,
There is no way to date the other two tickets.
By looking up the Braves team President, you can at least nail down the era.

Thanks for getting back to me Scott. That's a downer....does the "S" and "3" indicate the game number for whatever year these might have been issued?

It is definitely team President- Lou Perini, 1945-1958, with 52 being the last season in Boston.

So both are in the date range of 1945-1952.

doug.goodman 12-31-2020 06:38 PM

Maybe you can narrow down the years a bit more if you can find pricing info (from schedules / programs / yearbooks / etc).

Just a thought.

bigfanNY 01-01-2021 09:13 AM

Based on other stubs being Boston. I would say the Portland stub is from Portland Maine. They had Minor league teams in that era 1946 - 1949 as the Portland Gulls and Portland Pilots.
J

mainemule 01-01-2021 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doug.goodman (Post 2051570)
Maybe you can narrow down the years a bit more if you can find pricing info (from schedules / programs / yearbooks / etc).

Just a thought.

...I had tried this but it is really hard with these stubs. I do see differences in the placement of Louis R. Perini's signature (above or next to "PRES.") and the wording/placement of "NATIONAL LEAGUE BASEBALL CLUB" that also includes "OF BOSTON, INC." on some stubs.

I also wonder if the lower priced tickets for General Admissions, Pavilion and Bleachers do not have the date and/or seat because they were first-come-first-serve tickets and only sold the day of the game.

I want to believe they are from 48 but that is speculation.

mainemule 01-01-2021 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfanNY (Post 2051661)
Based on other stubs being Boston. I would say the Portland stub is from Portland Maine. They had Minor league teams in that era 1946 - 1949 as the Portland Gulls and Portland Pilots.
J

These were all found in Maine but when I Googled "Portland Baseball Association" I landed in Oregon, not Maine.

The Gulls/Pilots look to be a "Club" but I did not find much on them.

Thanks for the input.

doug.goodman 01-01-2021 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mainemule (Post 2051684)
...I had tried this but it is really hard with these stubs.

That's the fun part about collecting old stuff for me, figuring out the details with the information provided.

bigfanNY 01-01-2021 06:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mainemule (Post 2051686)
These were all found in Maine but when I Googled "Portland Baseball Association" I landed in Oregon, not Maine.

The Gulls/Pilots look to be a "Club" but I did not find much on them.

Thanks for the input.

In 1947 the Portland Baseball Association owned the Portland Baseball Club. In 1946 the Gulls had a single owner at the beginning of the season that ran into financial problems. A group of local Portland business owners bailed him out and ran the team even 1 season after the Eastern league folded after the 1949 season.
J

mainemule 01-01-2021 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfanNY (Post 2051863)
In 1947 the Portland Baseball Association owned the Portland Baseball Club. In 1946 the Gulls had a single owner at the beginning of the season that ran into financial problems. A group of local Portland business owners bailed him out and ran the team even 1 season after the Eastern league folded after the 1949 season.
J

Terrific information.....thank you!!