Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   What is the most rare vintage baseball autograph? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=246687)

Chuck9788 10-25-2017 02:55 PM

What is the most rare vintage baseball autograph?

is there any vintage players that did not or rarely signed autographs? Which is the most difficult autographs to find?

trdcrdkid 10-25-2017 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck9788 (Post 1713872)
is there any vintage players that did not or rarely signed autographs? Which is the most difficult autographs to find?

Guys who died early are tougher to find autographs of, and the longer ago they lived, the rarer they tend to be. I'm not an autograph guy, but I understand that Addie Joss is very tough, with only a couple of autographs known. 19th century HOFers are going to be tough too, especially those who died young such as Kelly and Radbourn.

Jersey City Giants 10-25-2017 03:03 PM

somewhere out there are a few items I signed as batboy and one ball I signed for a little girl in college! Now those would be rare! LOL

barrysloate 10-25-2017 03:10 PM

HOFer George Stacey Davis is extremely rare.

the-illini 10-25-2017 03:18 PM

Not an autograph guy but King Kelly, Addie Joss, Rube Waddell, Ed Delahanty, Ross Youngs all would have to be at or near the top of the list in terms of difficult signatures to find an authentic example of - that doesn't factor in Negro league members, many of whom I am sure are almost impossible to find.

edjs 10-25-2017 03:21 PM

I think your question would be very tough to answer. I would suppose there are numerous guys that played ball that didn't get asked for their autograph all that often. I have a Charlie Deal card being authenticated right now, I wouldn't think there are many of those floating about. I also have a Claude Berry auto, again, I wouldn't expect to see many of those. I also posted a T4 Obak (well, part of one anyway) that has Doc Moskiman written on the front, I have asked around, but no one has anything to compare it to for me to see if he wrote it or not. So there could be a ton of guys that just didn't get asked or were not that great and their auto wasn't kept, and would therefore be rare.

Jobu 10-25-2017 03:32 PM

Lots of good names mentioned thus far. I think Joe Jackson makes the list of difficult signatures.

I am not really an autograph collector, but my toughest is Carl Lundgren (died 1934), which is posted in another thread.

OldOriole 10-25-2017 03:48 PM

Rare Autographs

In terms of rare autographs on baseball cards, I am aware of a Hugh Duffy signed N300 Mayo. I was the underbidder to an N54 board member a number of years ago. I can't imagine there's many of those floating around.

slipk1068 10-25-2017 03:55 PM

I always thought Rube Foster was tough. Addie Joss too although I am not an autograph guy.

pokerplyr80 10-25-2017 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jobu (Post 1713891)
Lots of good names mentioned thus far. I think Joe Jackson makes the list of difficult signatures.

I am not really an autograph collector, but my toughest is Carl Lundgren (died 1934), which is posted in another thread.

That is the name that came to mind when I saw the title. I'm sure there are plenty of others but I think he's the biggest name who's almost impossible to find. I heard it was because he was illiterate and didn't want or really even know how to sign.