Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   1907 AL Annual Grounds Pass legit? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=195322)

KirkPawnn 10-11-2014 01:32 PM

1907 AL Annual Grounds Pass legit?

5 Attachment(s)
Just bought this from someone who was close to Deacon Maguire (he passed away in Duck Lake, Michigan) here in Detroit. Everyone here at work seems to think it is fake because it is so old and in pretty good shape. Just wanted to share it and get opinions. After research everything about it seems right. But I certainly would appreciate some other opinions. Thanks guys!

Jacklitsch 10-11-2014 01:58 PM

Deluxe!

Agree that it was issued to James "Deacon" McGuire with the name misspelled as Maguire. Deacon was, I believe, manager of the Boston American League team in 1907.

Good as gold.

drcy 10-11-2014 02:03 PM

Authentic. The holder puts it over the top, because no one would have gone to the time and trouble to forge the holder. If they were going to make a fake, they'd just reprint the card.

Econteachert205 10-11-2014 02:16 PM

Great piece

KirkPawnn 10-11-2014 02:17 PM

interesting thing is even after everyone here says its legit, people at my work still think there is no chance it is real lol any idea if a dollar amount value?

drcy 10-11-2014 02:20 PM

It actually has wear commensurate with its age. That it is small and comes in a holder says it could survive well over the years. Antique ephemera stored over the years in books, albums and piles of paper can come in better shape than that.

Jobu 10-11-2014 02:24 PM

I also think it looks good. The fading on the card to match the overlap with the holder shows it has spent a lot of time in there and is definitely old - not to mention a forger likely wouldn't damage an intentional fake in this way (it isn't "appealing" damage).

Nice find.

drcy 10-11-2014 02:30 PM

Tell your co-workers to keep their day jobs :)

KirkPawnn 10-11-2014 02:35 PM

LOL thanks guys this is great information. New to this forum but certainly appreciate the information. My coworker said and I quote "I could photocopy/scan my nuts and it could be misleading" lol. Awesome stuff guys your really helping me out. Ill have to come on here more often as we get alot of vintage sports memorabilia.

Leon 10-11-2014 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KirkPawnn (Post 1332882)
LOL thanks guys this is great information. New to this forum but certainly appreciate the information. My coworker said and I quote "I could photocopy/scan my nuts and it could be misleading" lol. Awesome stuff guys your really helping me out. Ill have to come on here more often as we get alot of vintage sports memorabilia.

There was no doubt in my mind that it is real from the scans you sent upon registration.

gnaz01 10-11-2014 04:20 PM

Who would have voted "Not even close"???? :confused:

vthobby 10-11-2014 11:01 PM

Not even close?!?!?!?

Greg,
Probably someone who would then make a low ball offer! :)

Very cool item! The holder is beautiful also.

Peace, Mike

Eric72 10-12-2014 06:31 AM

Out of curiosity, is the Ban Johnson signature pre-printed, secretarial, or authentic?

vthobby 10-12-2014 07:09 AM

Auto?

I do not profess to be an expert but it looks a little to neat to have been actually signed by Ban. It was definitely not penned at the same time or by the same person that wrote the name and Boston on the top of the pass. My hunch since there were so many of these that it is a autopen/polygraph or a stamp of some sort. I guess it is also possible that a secretary neatly signed all of the passes. It is a bit tough to really tell just from the photos alone.

Very cool item nonetheless.

Peace, Mike

Eric72 10-12-2014 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtgmsc (Post 1333035)
I do not profess to be an expert but it looks a little to neat to have been actually signed by Ban. It was definitely not penned at the same time or by the same person that wrote the name and Boston on the top of the pass. My hunch since there were so many of these that it is a autopen/polygraph or a stamp of some sort. I guess it is also possible that a secretary neatly signed all of the passes. It is a bit tough to really tell just from the photos alone.

Peace, Mike

Hi Mike,

I am not seeing what you are. Before posting this morning, I checked online to see what Ban Johnson's signature looked like. It seems much more similar to what is on the season pass - by his name - than the scrawl which indicates who the pass was issued to.

I, too, am not an expert regarding autographs. However, the Johnson looks fairly good to me.

Please let me know what you mean by, "to (sic) neat."

And please know that I am not attacking you in any way. As stated earlier, I am just curious.

Best regards,

Eric

ATP 10-12-2014 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtgmsc (Post 1333035)

Peace, Mike

The Ban Johnson signature is preprinted on these passes, and not actually signed.

Eric72 10-12-2014 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATP (Post 1333212)
The Ban Johnson signature is preprinted on these passes, and not actually signed.

Jeff,

Thank you very much for weighing in. I truly appreciate it.

Best regards,

Eric

ATP 10-12-2014 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric72 (Post 1333215)
Jeff,

Thank you very much for weighing in. I truly appreciate it.

Best regards,

Eric

You are very welcome Eric.

Also, to the OP, Kirk. The pass is 100 percent authentic so no need to have any doubt about it, everything looks exactly as it should and it was very well preserved. If my memory serves me, Tris Speaker played for the Boston Americans for a couple games in 1907, his short rookie season, among other greats like Cy Young. To ticket collectors it would loosely would represent Tris Speakers first career base hit, among probably some other important wins for Young nearing the end of his career.

vthobby 10-12-2014 10:09 PM

"Too Neat"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric72 (Post 1333209)
Hi Mike,

I am not seeing what you are. Before posting this morning, I checked online to see what Ban Johnson's signature looked like. It seems much more similar to what is on the season pass - by his name - than the scrawl which indicates who the pass was issued to.

I, too, am not an expert regarding autographs. However, the Johnson looks fairly good to me.

Please let me know what you mean by, "to (sic) neat."

And please know that I am not attacking you in any way. As stated earlier, I am just curious.

Best regards,

Eric

Basically, just my way of saying that it appeared to be pre-printed or auto penned or stamped onto the card which I think the previous poster also believed. Thanks, Mike