Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sanella Ruth... am I missing something here? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=319244)

ZachS 05-06-2022 03:07 AM

Sanella Ruth... am I missing something here?

A Sanella Ruth type 3 (PSA 2) sold for $1935 with BP. Has the price on these gone up that much?

LINK

Natedog 05-06-2022 03:24 AM

Type 3's are the rarest I believe, but all three versions have seen a big spike in prices recently.

ZachS 05-06-2022 04:28 AM

I knew it was the rarest type and I haven't really checked the prices in a while. It just seemed high for a PSA 2.

Republicaninmass 05-06-2022 05:37 AM

Likely to be listed for sale shortly, albeit with a higher price.

maniac_73 05-06-2022 07:18 AM

Im seeing it get pumped in a lot of facebook groups which is driving the price. Not a fan of it personally, but to each their own

ParisianJohn 05-06-2022 09:20 AM

maniac_73 is right about it being pumped in Facebook groups and there seems to be a big bump on all things Ruth the past few years, on top of the crazy spikes for vintage cards in general.

I bought a Sanella Type 2 PSA 7 in 2013 for $189 at an eBay auction. I took a break from collecting from 2015 until this year when my kids were born and growing up. When I got back in earlier this year I was surprised to see how much my vintage cards have gone up in general, was shocked at my how much my T206 Cy Young portrait has spiked (Young is another guy, lik Ruth, with increases in price that have rocketed above the overall vintage card market), and then was floored at seeing the sales prices of the Sanella Ruths and his other cards.

In 2014 I just lost out at the last minute on an eBay auction for a red 1933 Goudey Ruth graded at PSA 4 that wound up selling for $2,750. Just this February one sold at auction on eBay for $26,605. Another one sold at "Buy it Now" for $29,250 in April. Had I only known in 2014 what was going to happen...

All that said, that price for a PSA 2 is still nuts. I checked PSA Card Facts and they listed Type 3 PSA 2 cards selling for $287 and $151 respectively at eBay auctions in 2018 and 2019.

GrewUpWithJunkWax 05-06-2022 09:30 AM

Sanella is interesting, to me anyway. It seems like an entry-level, playing days Ruth. Also, it seems a similar situation to when a rookie card becomes too expensive, the second-year card gains more attention.

It doesn't get the traditional recognition as other Ruth cards, but that's what has kept it more affordable. Not just anyone can jump into a Goudey Ruth.

It will get knocked by some for being an international issue. While the Shonen is great of course, and the Churchman, the Sanella connects with Ruth's German heritage, plus it has a large, color image.

People can appreciate different things.

mrreality68 05-06-2022 09:50 AM

As other Ruth card spoke in prices ie the exhibit Ruth Cards collectors that are being priced out but want Ruth cards are going to other cards that are affordable which then increases the demand and drives up prices.

These international cards are undervalued compared to others so these are the ones that demand is starting to pick up in

UKCardGuy 05-06-2022 12:02 PM

I really like the Sanella Ruth cards. To me they're much more attractive than his Goudeys.

If you're looking for a bargain on these, you can often find them for sale in the Sanella album on the German Ebay site. (Google translate is your friend) Assuming your comfortable soaking the card away from the album page, you could easily pickup a Sanella Ruth that would grade a 4 or a 5 for $200-300.

If you were really lucky you might end up with a type 3...but more than likely a type 2.

Yoda 05-06-2022 03:08 PM

I am always amazed that so many Sanella cards survived the WWII fire bombing of German cities. However, I don't see a similar rise in value for the Japanese catcher, the only other baseball player in the set.

Exhibitman 05-06-2022 09:31 PM

I wonder what an Astra back would fetch?