Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   EBay strategy? Or, "why can't Johnny sell a card?" (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=246367)

judsonhamlin 10-18-2017 02:27 PM

EBay strategy? Or, "why can't Johnny sell a card?"

So I am confused as to this sales model -- seller has x card on eBay for a set price/obo (and not a museum priced seller, either). Zero offers and 28 days later, the card is relisted for almost twice the first price. If it didn't sell at the lower price, why list it at a much higher price? Is there a legit strategy at work here?

egbeachley 10-18-2017 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by judsonhamlin (Post 1711498)
So I am confused as to this sales model -- seller has x card on eBay for a set price/obo (and not a museum priced seller, either). Zero offers and 28 days later, the card is relisted for almost twice the first price. If it didn't sell at the lower price, why list it at a much higher price? Is there a legit strategy at work here?

Yes. Some people always offer 50%. Now if that happens he will get full price.

You'd be surprised at how often raising the BIN price works.

midmo 10-18-2017 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by egbeachley (Post 1711511)
Yes. Some people always offer 50%. Now if that happens he will get full price.

You'd be surprised at how often raising the BIN price works.

+1.

I've done that before (maybe not twice the price, but definitely higher). I've listed a card low and had no interest, then next month raise it and get offers. I think people like to feel like they're getting a deal by submitting an offer.

RealToppsaholic 10-18-2017 03:44 PM

Quote:

there are ebay seller who list their graded cards at 2.5 time the vcp avg --so when you offer HALF price you are over-paying by 25% (10 basis points)

I have seen hundreds of items get no bid at 100 and the relist as buyitnow for 125 then sell. I think it is more the NORM to raise or relist for same ---reductions being less frequent

frankbmd 10-18-2017 05:03 PM

You don't have to wait for me to raise my prices, just feel free to overpay if you want it.;)

insidethewrapper 10-18-2017 06:35 PM

Did this with a lawn mower once. Put it in my front lawn by the road for $ 10, nobody wanted it. Raised the price to $ 25 and it sold that day.

judsonhamlin 10-18-2017 07:37 PM

The lawnmower example makes more sense - at 10 it might be seen as inoperable by a passerby, but at 25 there might be an implication that it actually works. How that works with a 1930s card with paper loss though (the card here) escapes me.
Should've taken a marketing class at some point I guess.

BruceinGa 10-19-2017 05:44 AM

Just as the mower sold so did a 1965 Mustang that I had in the late 70's. I had painted it, replaced bushing in the 4 speed shifter and listed it for $2500 :o. I received one call and they never showed up to see it. I told my buddy that got me into restoring Mustangs and he said I had it priced too low. I raised it to $3500, the phone rang off the hook and sold it to the first person to view it, for $3500.:eek:

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 10-19-2017 08:01 AM

There is really no rhyme or reason to the ebay game in my opinion. With that being said, I agree with most posters here. Sometimes the lower you price it , the more unattractive the item becomes. The buyer does like to feel like they are getting a item of value.

brianp-beme 10-19-2017 08:41 AM

[QUOTE=insidethewrapper;1711586]Did this with a lawn mower once. Put it in my front lawn by the road for $ 10, nobody wanted it. Raised the price to $ 25 and it sold that day.[/QUOTE}

A friend once told me a story that is a slight variation of this theme. I believe it was a set of tires that they had on the lawn with a free sign. They just sat there, no one wanted them. They finally decided to put a sign up for them for $25, and the tires were almost instantly stolen.

Brian

greco827 10-19-2017 09:30 AM

I've actually been doing a bit of tracking on this, and BO's regularly pull a higher price than the same card (grade/backing) as a card which is auctioned. Straight BIN also pulls a higher price, but I assume the seller is willing to sit and wait to get the higher price.

There are, of course, exceptions.

Eric72 10-19-2017 10:28 AM

Fascinating glimpse into the quirks of human behavior...

pbspelly 10-19-2017 10:48 AM

There's a famous story about a jewelry store that was having trouble selling a particular kind of jewelry (I think it was turquoise but could have it wrong). The owner was going on vacation and left a handwritten note for the store clerk to put the jewelry on sale at half the price. The store clerk misread the writing on the note and doubled the price of the jewelry. When the owner returned from vacation, all the jewelry had sold out.

This never happens to me, though

Jantz 10-19-2017 10:52 AM

[QUOTE=brianp-beme;1711704]
Quote:

Originally Posted by insidethewrapper (Post 1711586)
Did this with a lawn mower once. Put it in my front lawn by the road for $ 10, nobody wanted it. Raised the price to $ 25 and it sold that day.[/QUOTE}

A friend once told me a story that is a slight variation of this theme. I believe it was a set of tires that they had on the lawn with a free sign. They just sat there, no one wanted them. They finally decided to put a sign up for them for $25, and the tires were almost instantly stolen.

Brian

Oh yes, this works well. People would rather steal from a stranger than accept a free gift.

Leon 10-22-2017 12:31 PM

Quote:

When I was in the auction business, more than once I forgot to take something off of my site which was for sale in the auction (of course the auction ruled)...then it would go for more in the auction than on my site. I have gotten emails asking if they could pay the price on my site AFTER the auction in which they won it :)....Human nature is a funny thing. An auction format HAS to be cheaper than a straight saie, right? :eek:

Justus 10-22-2017 01:25 PM

I like this one. It's been listed 4 times at $99.99 OBO with free shipping. Now it is $0.99 OBO with $99.99 shipping. SMH.

Exhibitman 10-22-2017 04:34 PM

http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibit...nteresting.png

OsFan 10-23-2017 09:10 AM

Maybe a seller will list an item they’re really not interested in selling. They list it because it’s popular and will bring more customers to their eBay store? So they list the item at what seems like a ridiculous price?

Not exactly what you’re talking about but I wonder if this is going on sometimes when I see overpriced auctions.