Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Dick Enberg - RIP (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=249160)

pclpads 12-22-2017 01:46 AM

Dick Enberg - RIP

Local news tonite in San Diego reported he passed today at 82 at his home in Rho Santa Fe, a few miles north of SD. So sad for his family coming just four days before Christmas. Such a talent in covering all sports impeccably for so many years. He was - like his late broadcast partner, Tony Gwynn - loved and respected by all, with never an unkind word said about him. Sadly, he finished his distinguished HOF sportscasting career with the Padres in 2016, sharing the booth with a goofball that couldn't carry his joc. Sorry, no links. Just google your favorite on-line paper. :(

Stampsfan 12-22-2017 02:03 AM

Oh my...

Sad to hear that. My major memories of Dick Enberg were around his dulcet tones play calling NFL football on NBC.

When a broadcaster of that pedigree passes away, they always seems to take a small piece of my youth with them.

Fred 12-22-2017 05:49 AM

Sad way to start the day.

1952boyntoncollector 12-22-2017 06:27 AM

I cant think of Enberg without thinking of all those Marino games he called.

Duper and Clayton! etc..

Sean 12-22-2017 10:05 AM

I remember Dick when he was calling college basketball games with Al McGuire and Billy Packer back in the late '70s. That was the best crew I ever heard on college basketball. :):(

insidethewrapper 12-22-2017 10:22 AM

Sad to hear. Hall of Famer. First job was in Mt. Pleasant, Michigan. He was a Central Michigan University Alumnus. Great guy from Armada, MI. He broadcast a few Tiger games this year on TV.

mattsey9 12-22-2017 06:01 PM

A great Indiana Hoosier. RIP.

JollyElm 12-22-2017 06:38 PM

Just a great demeanor with a particularly awesome voice. He made every sport he called that much better to watch. RIP.

glynparson 12-23-2017 05:24 AM

Very very sad

That voice always reminds me of AFC football. He was a tremendous broadcaster and possibly the most adept at switching from one sport to the next. He was tremendous at all of them. A loss for all sports fans. RIP.

vintagebaseballcardguy 12-23-2017 09:09 AM

Some of my fondest sports memories involve the days he was teamed up with Merlin Olsen when NBC had the AFC tv package. Those late afternoon Sunday AFC games were just magical.

Fred 12-23-2017 12:29 PM

The sign of a great announcer is being the lead broadcaster for the Padres and making it sound interesting.

I think Dick took the Padres job because it was close to home for him. You've got to wonder what he was thinking about during a lot of those games.... "oh my, what can I say positive about this crappy team that doesn't offend the team management?".....

He was an exceptional announcer.

Leon 12-26-2017 05:20 PM

He was one of the greats. RIP Dick...

sb1 12-26-2017 05:23 PM

I watched a lot of Sports Challenge the show he emceed in the 1970's

tjb1952tjb 12-27-2017 06:10 PM

Memories of..........

.........listening to Dick Enberg's Angel play-by-play on the radio at night(low volume so my parents would assume I was asleep), and his UCLA basketball play-by-play when it seemed the John Wooden Bruins NEVER lost. He was a great commentator. His obvious love of multiple sports and the "back stories" he related were so impressive. A fine gentleman who will be sorely missed. RIP Dick Enberg.