Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Gilliam Squires Back Stamp Project (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=221894)

Beatles Guy 05-02-2016 01:23 PM

Gilliam Squires Back Stamp Project

In the last couple of years, I have tried to acquire any Gilliam Squires back stamp cards within my price range. I am currently at a measly six T212s, but am always on the lookout. What I would like to do is start a database for myself to try and get an idea of how many are out there and where they are. If you have any Squires cards, please post them. I won't be soliciting you to sell them (that is unless you are looking to sell).

Does anyone know of any other examples outside of T212 or E99?

Dan Carson 05-02-2016 01:31 PM

Others?

I have seen other type cards besides the T212 with the Gilliam back stamp. I actually looked him up on Ancestry.com once.:eek: If I remember right he lived in Oakland, CA.. You might Google him?

Beatles Guy 05-02-2016 01:36 PM

I did a Google search on him and it looks as if he was from San Jose. I did find some old auction results, including Leon's sale of an E99 Roy Hitt. There were some old threads on here that produced some info as well.

Leon 05-04-2016 01:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are a few from my previous collection. I don't recall them on other cards but would guess they could be on any from the era. I think the faint red mark on the back of the gold Delmas is not Gilliam Squires but some unknown mark.

Beatles Guy 05-04-2016 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1535271)
Here are a few from my previous collection. I don't recall them on other cards but would guess they could be on any from the era. I think the faint red mark on the back of the gold Delmas is not Gilliam Squires but some unknown mark.

Thanks Leon. The E99 design is growing on me, Squires or not :)

Zeenut 05-04-2016 05:04 PM

I have several.... Maybe 20 or so T212's. I will try to post some pics-

Matt

bocca001 10-18-2016 11:44 AM

Taking over Gilliam Squires

2 Attachment(s)
I've taken over the Gilliam Squires collection from Jason A (thanks, Jason). From what I can tell, Gilliam lived (as an adult) in the Rose Garden area of San Jose, California, near where I grew up. I thought it would be fun to have these and add to the collection if new ones become available. I focus on players/teams connected with the San Jose/Santa Clara area. It's interesting to now have some cards from an original collector tied to the area. Let me know if you see any that become available.

Leon 10-20-2016 03:56 PM

Very cool, and I think if you keep your eyes peeled you will reel in some more over time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bocca001 (Post 1594667)
I've taken over the Gilliam Squires collection from Jason A (thanks, Jason). From what I can tell, Gilliam lived (as an adult) in the Rose Garden area of San Jose, California, near where I grew up. I thought it would be fun to have these and add to the collection if new ones become available. I focus on players/teams connected with the San Jose/Santa Clara area. It's interesting to now have some cards from an original collector tied to the area. Let me know if you see any that become available.

Vintagecatcher 10-21-2016 06:32 AM

Another "Restorative Collector"

Marc best of luck continuing Jason's Gilliam Squires stamp collection rebuild.

I think it should be noted that Ed McCollum has inspired a new type of card collecting with his noble pursuit of reuniting an original collection with the aid of that original collector's back stamp. I'm sure Howe McCormick would approve.

Guess you gentleman are "Restorative Collectors" with "Second Chance" collections.

Best of luck in your hunt to reunite the cards of a past collector.

Patrick

bocca001 10-21-2016 11:18 AM

Gilliam squires

Thanks, guys. Seems like a fun thing to occupy my time, without breaking the bank.

whaler 10-23-2016 06:37 AM

Here are my Squires stamped T212s, both of Miller, San Francisco:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...pskpdns9ab.jpg

2dueces 10-24-2016 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintagecatcher (Post 1595504)
Marc best of luck continuing Jason's Gilliam Squires stamp collection rebuild.

I think it should be noted that Ed McCollum has inspired a new type of card collecting with his noble pursuit of reuniting an original collection with the aid of that original collector's back stamp. I'm sure Howe McCormick would approve.

Guess you gentleman are "Restorative Collectors" with "Second Chance" collections.

Best of luck in your hunt to reunite the cards of a past collector.

Patrick

I collect F.F. Baker stamped T206 backs

Beatles Guy 10-24-2016 12:50 PM

I could not have passed this collection on to a better person than Marc. Good luck to you sir.