Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Frisch (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=265707)

theshleps 02-12-2019 05:58 PM

Frisch

2 Attachment(s)
I just acquired this original Frisch photo. Do you think the autograph on the back is real? I didn't buy it as a signed item but kind of looks like his. Let me know your thoughts and if real what the value is. Thanks
Attachment 344234

Attachment 344235

theshleps 02-13-2019 10:40 AM

can anyone help? thanks

chalupacollects 02-13-2019 05:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have this from HA 2018, doesn't look the same and authenticated by Beckett. Nice photo!

saltbox68 02-13-2019 07:30 PM

Michael, I don’t think yours is an authentic Frisch. I have a couple, the F’s on yours don’t match. But mine is just one opinion.
Bill

theshleps 02-13-2019 11:36 PM

I am thinking it might be an early example as there are similarities but could be mistaken

roarfrom34 02-14-2019 03:24 PM

Perhaps the writing is simply to identify the player in the photo and not an autograph at all

Klrdds 02-14-2019 05:23 PM

Michael
I have looked at this listing of yours and compared it to some of my 6 examples in my collection and even checked the PSA site as well. I believe as you do that this is an early Frisch signature. I base this on the observation that while the formation of the "F"s in his signature varied in formation and flamboyance throughout his life some parts of his signature remained fairly consistent during his life. The "F"s always were exaggerated and on a line of plane regardless of flamboyance or form, the "r"s following the "F"s stayed the same in angle, start and form , the "k" ascender was consistent but the descender was always proportionate regardless of the finishing stroke of the "k", and finally the "sch" had a relative consistency in form as well.
One can only guess if this is a real Frisch which I do as to why the back was signed instead of the front.
Just for educational sake if someone feels it is not a Frisch signature I'd love to hear as to why ... not to argue but to learn .

theshleps 02-14-2019 05:31 PM

I tend to agree with you as his F's varied so much but other parts looked spot on. I can't imagine some random person who wants to identify who it is by putting his name on back to have so many signature similarities. I may have a hard time getting a cert. as I don't collect signed photos and would sell it. I wish I could date the photo but I do not know uniform styles that well. Thanks for the feedback everyone and keep it coming

dgo71 02-14-2019 06:58 PM

I'm by no means an expert and have no opinion one way or the other as to authenticity, but I had a couple thoughts.

Assuming it's an identification and not a signature, could it be reasonable to think the similarities are due to the time it was written? Back in the days when cursive was taught in school and people had pride in their penmanship, it seems to me that similarities in style were more a by-product of people learning a specific way to form letters.

On the other hand, if legit, could it have been signed on the back because the front has a sort of gloss that wouldn't have been easily written on? I can't really tell if the photo has a sheen to it or what instrument was used to sign, but I know players like Jimmie Foxx and Jackie Robinson most often signed the backs of their HOF plaques due to the fact that the pens of the era didn't write well on the slicker surface of the front.

Again, not weighing in on authenticity, but hopefully providing some useful considerations to assist in the sluething. Either way, it's a cool item!

GoCubsGo32 02-15-2019 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgo71 (Post 1854778)
Assuming it's an identification and not a signature, could it be reasonable to think the similarities are due to the time it was written? Back in the days when cursive was taught in school and people had pride in their penmanship, it seems to me that similarities in style were more a by-product of people learning a specific way to form letters.

Agreed. My thoughts as well. Looks to be from 1930s just from the uniform itself.Candid snapshots are mostly signed on the front of the photo,however some do sign on the back. I'm not sure if that's the case here. I personally don't see it in the "F"s or the "R"s.

Still a neat item. Hope others can weigh in for you.

Cheers,
Gary

mr2686 02-15-2019 07:53 AM

At first look I thought there were enough similarities to warrant some investigation. The picture would have been taken somewhere between 1927 and 1938 (although it is possible it could be as late at 1939. Looking at as many exemplars as possible that were actually dated (one on a contract in 1929) and multiple ones from the 30's, I'm comfortable agreeing with those that wrote that it's more a product of the way people learned to write at that time. For the most part, Frisch's F's had more of a flourish to them, and even the simpler ones were more than these in the OP's photo. Also, the R's were, for the most part, started way below the F's, and even when it was not exaggerated, it was not real close. Anyway, that's my .02

kdixon 02-20-2019 07:59 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here’s a couple. Sorry every thing I post is so small for some reason.