Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Upgrade? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=243100)

Bocabirdman 08-02-2017 05:10 PM

Upgrade?

1 Attachment(s)
As some of you know, I am in the middle of a full-tilt upgrade of my Monster. I recently picked up this PSA 4 Schmidt Portrait. The SGC 40 is what I had before the "upgrade". Anybody have any idea what is going on with the PSA 4?

Attachment 282485

Jason 08-02-2017 06:45 PM

Im not sure Mike but that has a pretty cool look to it. Hopefully some answers come for your question. I personally havent seen a T206 that looks similar.

Bocabirdman 08-02-2017 07:01 PM

Maybe it is simply an extra pass of black?

Leon 08-03-2017 07:25 AM

Looks like an RPPC with normal silvering (fading) of the surface except it isn't a real photo. Could be a chemical (accidental?) on the surface. It seems PSA thought it was normal.....

bobbyw8469 08-03-2017 07:43 AM

The '4' is not an upgrade at all. I would keep it as an abnormality and keep the '3' in your collection.

Econteachert205 08-03-2017 07:46 AM

I watched that card for a while thinking it was some sort of print error. Very interesting card.

drcy 08-03-2017 11:47 AM

The black ink is glossier than the light ink. Perhaps the photo was taken with raking light.

Stampsfan 08-03-2017 12:41 PM

Maybe it was taken at night...

megalimey 08-03-2017 02:24 PM

SGC card is visually more appealing if you dont care about rounded corners

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bocabirdman (Post 1686534)
As some of you know, I am in the middle of a full-tilt upgrade of my Monster. I recently picked up this PSA 4 Schmidt Portrait. The SGC 40 is what I had before the "upgrade". Anybody have any idea what is going on with the PSA 4?

Attachment 282485

SGC card is visually more appealing , but it has all 4 rounded corners and very narrow top border VG3 is a Fair evaluation not out of line, PSA grade strictly on card slabbed I feel is accurate Print Registration is Fine , not blurry , darkness is caused during Press Run which was letter press , printing one color at a time,
Rubber Rollers would require constant inking during each color , if not you get a dull or dark appearance .
the SGC card was printed during the time when Rollers were full of ink early part of the run hence the bright vibrant look , PSA is not Blurry or mis registered so would not get demerits for print defects,
bordering is much better on the PSA with 3 of the 4 corners quite square,
as stand alone each card I feel is not over graded , obviously one against the other if you do not care about the rounded corners poor bordering SGC looks better.
But as the old saying goes "looks are not every thing"

Bocabirdman 08-03-2017 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by megalimey (Post 1686813)
SGC card is visually more appealing , but it has all 4 rounded corners and very narrow top border VG3 is a Fair evaluation not out of line, PSA grade strictly on card slabbed I feel is accurate Print Registration is Fine , not blurry , darkness is caused during Press Run which was letter press , printing one color at a time,
Rubber Rollers would require constant inking during each color , if not you get a dull or dark appearance .
the SGC card was printed during the time when Rollers were full of ink early part of the run hence the bright vibrant look , PSA is not Blurry or mis registered so would not get demerits for print defects,
bordering is much better on the PSA with 3 of the 4 corners quite square,
as stand alone each card I feel is not over graded , obviously one against the other if you do not care about the rounded corners poor bordering SGC looks better.
But as the old saying goes "looks are not every thing"

I talked to a Printer friend of mine. He said, from just eyeballing the scan, mumbling first about cyan and magenta, that he thinks it either missed the yellow pass or at the very least got much less than it was supposed to.....

vintagetoppsguy 08-03-2017 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 1686696)
The '4' is not an upgrade at all. I would keep it as an abnormality and keep the '3' in your collection.

+1

What is the objective of the upgrade? To upgrade the flip or upgrade the card? If it's to upgrade the flip, keep the PSA card. If it's to upgrade the csrd, should have stuck with the SGC.

Bocabirdman 08-03-2017 05:01 PM

I guess that I intend on keeping the 4 but getting an additional "normal":D 4 as well.......