Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Can anyone recommend the best way to repair a cracked bat? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=236527)

Scott Garner 03-08-2017 04:05 PM

Can anyone recommend the best way to repair a cracked bat?

2 Attachment(s)
Hi all,
I recently purchased a bat that has an interesting crack on the barrel that I would really like to repair, but not spend a lot of money on. It is an extremely tough bat to find, but has little value to anyone but me.

Dann Howitt was a ML player that had a brief career that included stints with the Oakland A's (who drafted him), the Seattle Mariners and the Chicago White Sox.

So why do I care about this bat? Great question!
While Dann Howitt was a member of the Mariners in 1993 he was lucky enough to be in the position to make history. On September 22, 1993 HOF Nolan Ryan took the mound for what would be the final time in his great career. Ryan blew out his ulnar collateral ligament before he ever recorded a single out.
Dann Howitt became fodder of a great trivia question:
Who got the last hit off of HOF pitcher Nolan Ryan?

The answer is Dann Howitt and he did it in spectacular fashion!
He actually hit a grand slam off of Ryan, which actually set yet another ML record for Nolan:
Most grand slams allowed in a ML career.

I plan on getting Dann Howitt to sign and inscribe this bat for me, but the barrel is rough in the area that I would like him to sign. By gluing the cracked area on the barrel it would give me a more uniform surface to have signed.

Does anyone have any tips to glue a crack like this?
Thanks in advance for your responses!

mcgwirecom 03-08-2017 04:46 PM

Scott, I repaired an old Ruth store model that had separation like that. You need a large bore hypodermic needle, elmers glue and some large diameter hose clamps. Use the hypo to inject glue as far into the separation as you can. Use a lot it doesn't matter. Then pull hose clamps over the spot and tighten. Don't go crazy or it may leave marks, but you can probably go as tight as a screwdriver and your hands will let you. Then use a wet rag to whipe off excess glue before it dries. Let it dry for a day and it should look way better.

John V 03-08-2017 05:43 PM

I've done much the same on a bat, but without the hypodermic injection. I just worked the Elmer's glue into the opening with my fingers. Dont over tighten the clamps or you may dent the wood.

ooo-ribay 03-08-2017 05:59 PM

I've also done the same, many times....but have used the pistol grip type clamps with plastic jaws.

P.S. Great story and a great bat for your Ryan collection.

bat_master 03-09-2017 12:11 PM

I actually use two pieces wood to clamp against the bat. That prevents marking on the wood in most cases. The pieces of wood are old pieces of manufactured trim that I've been using for several years. So long in fact, that they have started to curve on one side in the round shape of a bat.

Other than that, I would echo everything else that was said. Just take your time.

icollectDCsports 03-09-2017 01:52 PM

I would recommend yellow wood glue made by companies like Elmers or Titebond.

John V 03-09-2017 01:53 PM

Tim,
The wood trim is a great idea.

Scott Garner 03-09-2017 02:16 PM

Thanks to all of you that weighed in.
I'm ready to go to work on this project. :)

ooo-ribay 03-09-2017 05:14 PM

Yup, wood glue for sure.

todeen 11-27-2020 03:45 AM

Research reasons led me to this post. If you use Hyde Glue, it is water soluble and you can clean up excess even after it dries. If you are repairing antique furniture, use hyde glue!

Would like to see the end result, and the signature if you ever got it signed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk