Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Trip to New York (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=175575)

tonyo 09-10-2013 06:55 AM

Trip to New York

Hi all,

I'm visiting NYC with the family for a long weekend Oct 4-7. Me, the wife, two teenage girls. I haven't been there in at least 15 years.

I'm sure we'll want to do the touristy stuff and see a show.

We'll likely stay somewhere near the theater district - thinking a lot of attractions would be in walking distance- unless someone has a better suggestion.

Any advice for things to do for more of a local flavor? especially favorite places to eat that wont break the bank, best way to travel once we get there, etc etc.

Any help is much appreciated!

Tony

rjackson44 09-10-2013 08:21 AM

go see jersey boys 52 and broadway great show eat across the street at victors café authentic Cuban food good luck

judsonhamlin 09-10-2013 03:48 PM

If you haven't been to NYC in a while and want to go downtown at all, walk the High Line Park from 30th Street and 10th Ave. It is a fun and unique way to see the city.
If you are museum inclined, I think the Frick has a Vermeer show coming up as well

tonyo 09-10-2013 04:52 PM

Thanks guys,

I'll look into all those ideas. Certainly wouldn't have know about the high line and maybe not The Frick.

Appreciate the info!

Bestdj777 09-12-2013 05:48 AM

I live in the city now and something my fiance and I love to do is walk the Brooklyn Bridge. It is a bit touristy, but the views are great. I second the high line suggestion. If you go around lunch time, you can also duck in to Chelsey Market. It has a bunch of little food places and would be a great way to grab an affordable, but great lunch.

Another favorite place is the Frying Pan. It is an old boat and barge that has been converted into a bar/restaurant. It serves the typical bar food/drinks at NYC prices. Not sure if it will be closed for the season at that point but might not be. I've always found it relaxing.

tonyo 09-12-2013 06:25 AM

Great suggestions Chris! Thanks

ibuysportsephemera 09-12-2013 08:53 AM

Nice Affordable...

Italian restaurant on Eighth Ave..between 52 and 53 Da Tommaso. Make a reservation and ask for a window table...you can people watch as you eat dinner. My wife and I recently went to Jersey Boys and ate here. It is a short 5 or 6 block walk to the theatre from the restaurant. The website:

www.datommasony.com

Enjoy,

Jeff

timzcardz 09-17-2013 09:24 AM

Wife and 2 teenage girls? They'll LOVE 5th Avenue in the 50's! OK, so that may be a bank breaker.

Madame Tussauds is pretty good. Buy tickets in advance online to save some.
http://www.madametussauds.com/NewYor...Fcaj4Aod53UAZQ

Brooklyn Diner on 43rd. Touristy, but not too pricey and nice portions.
http://www.brooklyndiner.com/

St Andrews on 46th. A bit pricey, but not outrageous. Good food. Add a few stars if your a Scotch fan, as they have a separate Scotch Menu that is huge.
http://www.standrewsnyc.com/

My other recommendations no longer exist

Unfortuantley ESPN Zone closed a couple of years ago, which was a favorite of my kids.

And worse, Mickey Mantle's closed a couple of years ago. I loved that place! Decent food, cold beer, and great ambience. I closed that place a few times!

tonyo 09-17-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timzcardz (Post 1185722)
And worse, Mickey Mantle's closed a couple of years ago. I loved that place! Decent food, cold beer, and great ambience. I closed that place a few times!

Thanks Jeff and Timz for the suggestions!

Too bad Mickey Mantles closed. Glad I ate there and got a Mickey Mantle's beer glass last time I was in NY lo those many years ago.

timzcardz 09-17-2013 12:18 PM

Museum of Modern Art on 53rd is interesting.
http://www.moma.org/
(If they still have the sex art exhibit, skip that part. Some of that stuff was pretty disturbing!)

EvilKing00 09-18-2013 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyo (Post 1182802)
Hi all,

I'm visiting NYC with the family for a long weekend Oct 4-7. Me, the wife, two teenage girls. I haven't been there in at least 15 years.

I'm sure we'll want to do the touristy stuff and see a show.

We'll likely stay somewhere near the theater district - thinking a lot of attractions would be in walking distance- unless someone has a better suggestion.

Any advice for things to do for more of a local flavor? especially favorite places to eat that wont break the bank, best way to travel once we get there, etc etc.

Any help is much appreciated!

Tony

Hey Tony,

If your looking to laugh ALOT, Avenue Q, is a show you should go to see. Not sure how old your kids are but this show is NOT for kids, teens ok IMO. You will laugh all the way through.

Also Wicked was very good.

For Dinner - Churrascaria Plataforma (well priced per person)- (if you LOVE MEAT) its a brazillian steakhouse, they kep bringing you food and its real good. IMO the salad bar is the best!, not your normal salad bar. google it, check the web site etc.
Perfect place also for a family.

If your looking for a "date night with the wife and are looking to drop some big bucks - restaurant Daniel, sick French food, one of the best chefs in the world. But make your reservation now. Again google it.

timzcardz 09-19-2013 07:00 AM

I don't think your question about best way to travel around was addressed yet, so here goes.

The best way may be by subway because it is typically the quickest, but . . .

With four of you, for a weekend visit, go with cabs. Probably not more expensive depending on the trip, and you will see SO MUCH more above ground than below. That's what you're here for right?

tonyo 09-19-2013 07:34 AM

Thanks Tim,

That's a big unknown for me.

Are Cabs cash only and is a tip appropriate?

Tony

timzcardz 09-19-2013 08:30 AM

Tips are appropriate, say 10-20%, unless the driver is a jerk of course.

Every cab takes credit cards (and cash). The credit card screen will even have choices for tip amount for you to select. Easy to spot the yellow cabs, and you shouldn't have a problem. They're heavily regulated/licensed by NYC.

nolemmings 09-19-2013 09:31 AM

keep 'em coming

Thanks from a lurker who's taking his teenage daughter to NYC shortly after Tony. She wants to visit NYU, which means I will be weeping openly at the Financial Aid office while she tours the facilities. That covers much of one day, and assuming I'm not admitted to Bellevue immediately thereafter, you've given me several great ideas. My daughter is heavily into theater so a Broadway show is mandatory. I've googled Madison Square Garden for October events and there are none except for some performer on 10/29--could it be the place is closed for the entire month? Where do the Rangers play? Not that I'll get my way but if there was a decent concert or something that might be worth a look, I'd like to know.

Anyway, I too appreciate the suggestions.

timzcardz 09-19-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolemmings (Post 1186683)
I've googled Madison Square Garden for October events and there are none except for some performer on 10/29--could it be the place is closed for the entire month?

May be related to the ongoig reconstruction.

Quote:

Not that I'll get my way but if there was a decent concert or something that might be worth a look, I'd like to know.

Check Barclays Center in Brooklyn. http://www.barclayscenter.com/events They usually have a lot of concerts and are just a couple of subway stops into Brooklyn from Manhattan.

EvilKing00 09-19-2013 05:16 PM

Quote:

Thanks from a lurker who's taking his teenage daughter to NYC shortly after Tony. She wants to visit NYU, which means I will be weeping openly at the Financial Aid office while she tours the facilities. That covers much of one day, and assuming I'm not admitted to Bellevue immediately thereafter, you've given me several great ideas. My daughter is heavily into theater so a Broadway show is mandatory. I've googled Madison Square Garden for October events and there are none except for some performer on 10/29--could it be the place is closed for the entire month? Where do the Rangers play? Not that I'll get my way but if there was a decent concert or something that might be worth a look, I'd like to know.

the rangers and knicks both play at the garden.

nolemmings 09-19-2013 06:45 PM

Yes I know that--thanks for the responses by the way. I figured the NBA season doesn't start until late October and the Knicks could open on the road but I have to wonder where the Rangers are playing their home games in October. They open here in Phoenix on the 3rd and can't be expected to play the entire month on the road can they? Someone said there is renovation at the Garden-- did the Rangers get their home games moved to the Nassau Coliseum or elsewhere, or do I just have a bad calendar?

EDITED TO ADD: Never mind, I looked it up. The Rangers are in fact nomads in October.

ibuysportsephemera 09-19-2013 07:51 PM

Quote:

Todd,

My daughter (senior in HS) is looking into BFA programs in Acting...I saw the price tag on NYU (72k) and told her to remove that one from her list! Enjoy your visit.

Jeff

nolemmings 09-20-2013 01:13 AM

Jeff,

I am preparing to have that talk, but maybe she won't like the place anyway.

On another topic, I for whatever reason did poor research on hotel pricing in the Times Square area. I would have thought there were decent places to stay at lesser room rates than the $400-$600/night that apparently passes for cheap. :(

ibuysportsephemera 09-20-2013 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolemmings (Post 1186986)
Jeff,

I am preparing to have that talk, but maybe she won't like the place anyway.

On another topic, I for whatever reason did poor research on hotel pricing in the Times Square area. I would have thought there were decent places to stay at lesser room rates than the $400-$600/night that apparently passes for cheap. :(

Not anymore. We are 60 miles North of the City. There are unified auditions in January and my wife and daughter thought they would stay in the City. I told them not if it is going to cost 1k for 2 nights. We are still researching. Good luck.

Jeff

Runscott 09-20-2013 12:38 PM

I always go to the Strand bookstore. Also try to have lunch in Chinatown and paella for dinner at least once. Paella in NYC blows away the distant cousins that most Spanish restaurants serve up.

tonyo 09-20-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 1187145)
Also try to have lunch in Chinatown and paella for dinner at least once.

Thanks Scott,

My daughter loves Chinese Food so that will be high on our list.

Any suggestions for a place for lunch in Chinatown?

Tony

canjond 09-20-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyo (Post 1187149)
Thanks Scott,

My daughter loves Chinese Food so that will be high on our list.

Any suggestions for a place for lunch in Chinatown?

Tony

Big Wong King is great... if you prefer Japenese noodle bar-esque places, you can try Momofuku on the lower east side...

RichardSimon 09-22-2013 09:51 AM

Not knocking Jersey Boys but last night I saw A Night With Janis Joplin and it was fantastic. I recommend it highly.

Topaz for Thai food - 56th St betw 6-7 Ave
Havana Central for Cuban - 46th St betw 6-7 Ave (make a reservation)
Virgils for bbq - 44st St between 6-7 Ave (always crowded, worth the wait)
Johns for thin crust pizza by the pie - 44th St between 7-8 Ave
Jing Fong for Dim Sum lunch (the best you can get) - 20 Elizabeth St in Chinatown, communal seating and push carts pushed around the floor with the food by ladies whose English is fair at best when it comes to describing what is in the cart but great food.

Don't be afraid to take the subway,,, many times the subway will get you there faster than a cab will.

Enjoy your trip to the greatest city in the world.

RichardSimon 09-22-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibuysportsephemera (Post 1186920)
Todd,

My daughter (senior in HS) is looking into BFA programs in Acting...I saw the price tag on NYU (72k) and told her to remove that one from her list! Enjoy your visit.

Jeff

My daughter wanted to go to NYU. I live in Manhattan and after seeing the prices for board there I told her no way does she live down in the Village when she has a nice large room in a nice apt. bldg. in Manhattan. Thus an argument ensued :).
ps. She would up going to Boston Univ. :)

ibuysportsephemera 09-22-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardSimon (Post 1187737)
My daughter wanted to go to NYU. I live in Manhattan and after seeing the prices for board there I told her no way does she live down in the Village when she has a nice large room in a nice apt. bldg. in Manhattan. Thus an argument ensued :).
ps. She would up going to Boston Univ. :)

Richard...BU is still on list! We will be visiting BU and Emerson sometime in the next few weeks.

Jeff

RichardSimon 10-17-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibuysportsephemera (Post 1187740)
Richard...BU is still on list! We will be visiting BU and Emerson sometime in the next few weeks.

Jeff

My daughter really enjoyed it there. Boston is a great city to go to college.