Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The vault (and other things) in Atlantic Magazine (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=274619)

Peter_Spaeth 10-12-2019 10:23 AM

The vault (and other things) in Atlantic Magazine

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...-weird/598345/

ValKehl 10-12-2019 11:39 AM

Peter, thanks for this interesting read, which came across to me as somewhat of an infomercial for PSA.

pokerplyr80 10-12-2019 11:53 AM

2700 distinct rookie cards for Ohtani. I obviously knew modern players had a lot of different rookie cards, more than I can keep straight. But I never would have guessed that many.

Peter_Spaeth 10-12-2019 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 (Post 1923049)
2700 distinct rookie cards for Ohtani. I obviously knew modern players had a lot of different rookie cards, more than I can keep straight. But I never would have guessed that many.

Jesse, you can start a master set.

frankbmd 10-12-2019 12:03 PM

Quote:

The one I own is the valuable one.;)

HRBAKER 10-12-2019 12:31 PM

Quote:

I only have 2700 to go.

samosa4u 10-12-2019 12:57 PM

This is mostly a history on sports cards. There are so many articles like this online - boringggg. The author also briefly mentions the vault at the end and that's it. The only section that stood out was this:

The market for the new hit cards has been fueled by a new generation of young buyers. At Manhattan’s Midtown Sports Card Show, I met Sharon Chiong, half of a two-woman partnership called BlackJadedWolf. Chiong is a high-end broker-dealer and card-buying consultant with a network of clients around the world. Born in Manila and raised in Queens, Chiong collected basketball cards as a fan during the last boom but came to cards as a profession only after leaving the diamond trade. “I went from one luxury business to another,” she told me. The day I met her, she had $1 million worth of inventory listed on eBay.

Chiong’s typical buyer is a Wall Street guy in his 30s or 40s who loved cards as a kid, drifted away after the bust, and returned in recent years with money to spend. Some collect anew the cards that had filled childhood closets, only now they are seeking ones in Gem Mint 10 condition; others are drawn by the limited-edition-hit craze. Lately, Chiong has seen an uptick in slightly less affluent clients looking to invest four- or five-figure sums made from flipping other nontraditional assets, such as Bitcoin or limited-edition sneakers.

So two women started a card company and are high-end broker-dealers who have a network of clients from around the world, and a typical buyer for them is a Wall Street guy? How come I have never heard of them before? :confused::confused: Weird.

frankbmd 10-12-2019 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samosa4u (Post 1923067)
This is mostly a history on sports cards. There are so many articles like this online - boringggg. The author also briefly mentions the vault at the end and that's it. The only section that stood out was this:

The market for the new hit cards has been fueled by a new generation of young buyers. At Manhattan’s Midtown Sports Card Show, I met Sharon Chiong, half of a two-woman partnership called BlackJadedWolf. Chiong is a high-end broker-dealer and card-buying consultant with a network of clients around the world. Born in Manila and raised in Queens, Chiong collected basketball cards as a fan during the last boom but came to cards as a profession only after leaving the diamond trade. “I went from one luxury business to another,” she told me. The day I met her, she had $1 million worth of inventory listed on eBay.

Chiong’s typical buyer is a Wall Street guy in his 30s or 40s who loved cards as a kid, drifted away after the bust, and returned in recent years with money to spend. Some collect anew the cards that had filled childhood closets, only now they are seeking ones in Gem Mint 10 condition; others are drawn by the limited-edition-hit craze. Lately, Chiong has seen an uptick in slightly less affluent clients looking to invest four- or five-figure sums made from flipping other nontraditional assets, such as Bitcoin or limited-edition sneakers.

So two women started a card company and are high-end broker-dealers who have a network of clients from around the world, and a typical buyer for them is a Wall Street guy? How come I have never heard of them before? :confused::confused: Weird.

They do have a website with priced inventory and they have a calendar to let you know where they are going. Both of these sections raise a question.

All their inventory is priced 5 cents less than a round number. Does a price of $999.95 appeal to a buyer who would not pony up $1000 even???

According to their calendar, they haven't been anywhere in the last three months and have no scheduled upcoming trips for the rest of this year. If you want to meet with them in 2019, I guess this means that Manhattan is your only option.
I would suggest calling first though to make sure they are still there.:eek:

ValKehl 10-12-2019 01:41 PM

Quote:

... So two women started a card company and are high-end broker-dealers who have a network of clients from around the world, and a typical buyer for them is a Wall Street guy? How come I have never heard of them before? :confused::confused: Weird.

I've also not heard of either of these women. But, then again, I'm not a deep-pocketed Wall Street guy!

MULLINS5 10-12-2019 02:41 PM

Holy cow, anyone see the altered Bobby Hull RC PSA 8 $60,000 value gain that's sitting in PWCCs Vault? Just surfaced on Blowout....

ullmandds 10-12-2019 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MULLINS5 (Post 1923098)
Holy cow, anyone see the altered Bobby Hull RC PSA 8 $60,000 value gain that's sitting in PWCCs Vault? Just surfaced on Blowout....

Are you sure this HULL card is in the vault?

MULLINS5 10-12-2019 03:13 PM

Yeah, I can't get the image over here but Superdan posted it on Blowout

perezfan 10-12-2019 03:29 PM

Just curious...

What’s that Hull card worth, if it properly resides in an “A” graded slab?

MULLINS5 10-12-2019 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 1923111)
Just curious...

What’s that Hull card worth, if it properly resides in an “A” graded slab?

Centering on that card brings a massive premium. My best educated guess in an A holder is $4,000

swarmee 10-12-2019 04:09 PM

A PSA 6 sold for $3K last month. You think an Auth Altered (which likely caused the centering) would still rate more for a card that fits in the Registry tied with a PSA 1 POOR?

MULLINS5 10-12-2019 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 1923123)
A PSA 6 sold for $3K last month. You think an Auth Altered (which likely caused the centering) would still rate more for a card that fits in the Registry tied with a PSA 1 POOR?

If that's the case then nope!

griffon512 10-12-2019 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1923068)
They do have a website with priced inventory and they have a calendar to let you know where they are going. Both of these sections raise a question.

All their inventory is priced 5 cents less than a round number. Does a price of $999.95 appeal to a buyer who would not pony up $1000 even???

According to their calendar, they haven't been anywhere in the last three months and have no scheduled upcoming trips for the rest of this year. If you want to meet with them in 2019, I guess this means that Manhattan is your only option.
I would suggest calling first though to make sure they are still there.:eek:

they are very much still around, occupying a few tables at the white plains, ny show among other shows.

pokerplyr80 10-12-2019 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1923052)
Jesse, you can start a master set.

I couldn't even give a reasonable estimate as to what that would run. Especially if some of the 1 of 1s have already went for over 6 figures.

His cards already seem to have a HOF future priced in. Not sure how much upside could be left. Plenty of risk though.

Peter_Spaeth 10-12-2019 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 (Post 1923178)
I couldn't even give a reasonable estimate as to what that would run. Especially if some of the 1 of 1s have already went for over 6 figures.

His cards already seem to have a HOF future priced in. Not sure how much upside could be left. Plenty of risk though.

He seems nothing like a HOFer so far.

pokerplyr80 10-12-2019 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1923179)
He seems nothing like a HOFer so far.

Agreed. But his cards are selling at prices that even a career that just barely qualified for the HOF might not hold up long term. In my opinion. Of course if he is the next Babe Ruth they could look like a bargain. I am not betting on this happening.

Peter_Spaeth 10-12-2019 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 (Post 1923187)
Agreed. But his cards are selling at prices that even a career that just barely qualified for the HOF might not hold up long term. In my opinion. Of course if he is the next Babe Ruth they could look like a bargain. I am not betting on this happening.

He's 24 with a history of injuries and 200 hits to his name. Uh, no thank you.

pokerplyr80 10-12-2019 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1923188)
He's 24 with a history of injuries and 200 hits to his name. Uh, no thank you.

We are in agreement. I don't own any of his cards.

oldjudge 10-12-2019 11:36 PM

Quote:

From one diamond to another. Seems like a natural progression to me.