Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Published BVG grade descriptions? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=274587)

jchcollins 10-11-2019 11:41 AM

Published BVG grade descriptions?

Apologies as I think this has come up before, but if it did I never got a great answer:

Can anyone point me to a published grading scale / grading definitions page for BVG? Like one that is tied to their grading site, and not one of the various places on the web where the older Beckett magazine grading standards are sometimes mentioned? Both PSA and SGC have clearly published standards for each respective number grade, but I'll be damned if I can find anything official like this for Beckett.

(For Example):

PSA:

On PSA EX-5 cards, very minor rounding of the corners is becoming evident. Surface wear or printing defects are more visible. There may be minor chipping on edges. Loss of original gloss will be more apparent. Focus of picture may be slightly out-of-register. Several light scratches may be visible upon close inspection, but do not detract from the appeal of the card. Card may show some off-whiteness of borders. Centering must be 85/15 or better on the front, and 90/10 or better on the back.

SGC:

5 EX: 80/20 or better centering, minor rounding or fuzzing of corners, roughness or chipping along edge (no layering), one VERY slight surface or "spider" crease may exist on one side of the card, gloss may be lost from surface with some scratching that does not detract from the aesthetics of the card.

Beckett would not seem to have any such definitions, at least for graded cards...?

jchcollins 10-11-2019 11:52 AM

I did find what I was looking for in an old version of the Beckett site using the Wayback Machine, LOL. This is from 2004:

Excellent 5

Centering: 75/25 both ways or better on front. 95/5 or better on back. Slight diamond cutting is allowed.

Corners: Four fuzzy corners, a touch of notching or a minor ding is allowed.

Edges: Noticeable roughness - but no layering. Very slight notching or noticeable chipping is allowed.

Surface: Noticeable print spots. Minor color or focus imperfections. Minor border discoloration. Minor wax stains or very light ink mark. Some gloss lost from surface with minor scratches, but devoid of scuffing.

Very Good/Excellent - 4

Centering: 80/20 both ways or better on front. 100/0 or better on back. Moderate diamond cutting is allowed.

Corners: Slight notching or layering, or moderate dings are allowed.

Edges: Readily chipped or notched and/or slightly layered.

Surface: Heavy print spots. Hairline creases. Moderate color or focus imperfections. Moderate border discoloration. Moderate wax stains. Very light ink mark or tape stain. A good deal of gloss lost from surface. Very minor scuffing or an extremely subtle tear in the form of a touch of broken surface paper.

..........and so on and so forth.