Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Opinons on this listing. would you buy? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=329760)

GrayGhost 01-01-2023 07:13 PM

Opinons on this listing. would you buy?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234839560272

curious. My friend says its ridiculous and overpriced

chalupacollects 01-01-2023 07:29 PM

Framing looks of the period... Not sure of actual bill's worth however, not sure if the actual story means much. To me depends on the bill's value...

doug.goodman 01-01-2023 07:41 PM

I agree that the bill contains the actual 'value' but I think the 'story' is pretty darn cool.

https://www.lot-art.com/auction-lots...-27.12.20-ebth

Doug

BobC 01-01-2023 11:40 PM

It is an interesting, and odd item. As a true sports related collectible though, can't see much value at all. The framing and writing gives the dollar bill its provenance as to being somewhat related to baseball history, but I've never heard of anyone who valued and collected currency as part of a sports bet. Now if you had the dollar bill signed by a player or some other significant individual from or otherwise related to that World Series, now you're talking a completely different story.

As others have stated, the value depends on what the dollar bill itself would be worth, plus maybe the value of the frame that someone may be interested in. Personally, unless there is some intrinsic, hidden extra value in the dollar bill itself as a currency collectible, I couldn't see paying more than say $30-$40 (if even that) for something like this. Others may have a higher value due to the oddity and/or baseball related connection, but I wouldn't expect a whole lot more. I could see an antique store listing it at maybe $50-$100 as a retail price, but don't expect anyone will be interested at even the minimum bid/price being asked on Ebay.

And by the way, based on a quick search online, the value of the dollar bill itself looks to be not so high either. I know this is not the exact same bill as in the item being sold, but doubt the there's going to be a huge, expected price difference.

https://oldmoneyprices.com/1918-1-bl...round%20%24125.

mrreality68 01-02-2023 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobC (Post 2300025)
It is an interesting, and odd item. As a true sports related collectible though, can't see much value at all. The framing and writing gives the dollar bill its provenance as to being somewhat related to baseball history, but I've never heard of anyone who valued and collected currency as part of a sports bet. Now if you had the dollar bill signed by a player or some other significant individual from or otherwise related to that World Series, now you're talking a completely different story.

As others have stated, the value depends on what the dollar bill itself would be worth, plus maybe the value of the frame that someone may be interested in. Personally, unless there is some intrinsic, hidden extra value in the dollar bill itself as a currency collectible, I couldn't see paying more than say $30-$40 (if even that) for something like this. Others may have a higher value due to the oddity and/or baseball related connection, but I wouldn't expect a whole lot more. I could see an antique store listing it at maybe $50-$100 as a retail price, but don't expect anyone will be interested at even the minimum bid/price being asked on Ebay.

And by the way, based on a quick search online, the value of the dollar bill itself looks to be not so high either. I know this is not the exact same bill as in the item being sold, but doubt the there's going to be a huge, expected price difference.

https://oldmoneyprices.com/1918-1-bl...round%20%24125.

+1 agree well said

batsballsbases 01-02-2023 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrayGhost (Post 2299982)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/234839560272

curious. My friend says its ridiculous and overpriced

I believe he is a member of this forum why dont you ask him......

Fballguy 01-02-2023 09:33 AM

How does one know it's over priced? Can you show us some comps?

GrayGhost 01-02-2023 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fballguy (Post 2300106)

NO, but think about it...in line with the other replies above.

BobC 01-02-2023 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fballguy (Post 2300106)

Hmmmmmmmmmm! Really, asking a question like that for something that is pretty clearly a one-of-a-kind item? So, tell us all, how do you expect to find comps for something there likely isn't another one of?

I'm going out on a limb then and assuming your question was kind of a slightly sarcastic/joking comment directed at others who would even try to put a value on something like this. But because an item like this is so unique and will probably have no comps, I think that is exactly why the OP would pose such a question on this forum, looking for help and a possible answer. Of course, some cynics and naysayers could also assume that maybe the OP is party to the sale and coming on to a site like this to maybe drum up interest and bring it to people's attention, thereby helping to sell it for what is being asked for it.

I simply assumed the OP was honestly looking at the item and raised the value question, because they probably already looked and found there weren't any comps to look at, and simply used my personal thinking and logic to express what my own guess/feeling would be as to the item's value. i was merely trying to be helpful and respond to the OP's question. What are you doing?

Fballguy 01-02-2023 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobC (Post 2300183)
Hmmmmmmmmmm! Really, asking a question like that for something that is pretty clearly a one-of-a-kind item? So, tell us all, how do you expect to find comps for something there likely isn't another one of?

I'm going out on a limb then and assuming your question was kind of a slightly sarcastic/joking comment directed at others who would even try to put a value on something like this. But because an item like this is so unique and will probably have no comps, I think that is exactly why the OP would pose such a question on this forum, looking for help and a possible answer. Of course, some cynics and naysayers could also assume that maybe the OP is party to the sale and coming on to a site like this to maybe drum up interest and bring it to people's attention, thereby helping to sell it for what is being asked for it.

I simply assumed the OP was honestly looking at the item and raised the value question, because they probably already looked and found there weren't any comps to look at, and simply used my personal thinking and logic to express what my own guess/feeling would be as to the item's value. i was merely trying to be helpful and respond to the OP's question. What are you doing?

Ummm Bob...Too much caffeine today buddy?

I was replying to the OP who said his friend called it over priced. But thanks for reinforcing my point.

BobC 01-02-2023 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fballguy (Post 2300230)
Ummm Bob...Too much caffeine today buddy?

I was replying to the OP who said his friend called it over priced. But thanks for reinforcing my point.

My apologies then for taking your post as it was written. I wasn't sure if you were trying to make fun of the situation or question, or actually serious about looking for comps. Asking about comps for something that is pretty much unique doesn't really make any sense.

All someone can tell from written exchanges on a forum such as this is what you can make of the words that are written. Use of emojis, punctuation, capitalization, and such, can help, but you still can't see a person's demeanor or body language, or hear the inflection in their voice, when just reading something online. So thank you for coming back and explaining what you actually meant by your post. But in my own defense, just look at the OP's response to your post before mine. It seems he was a little confused as to your question and meaning as well, and more or less was likely taking it the same way I did. Glad to hear you are of about the same opinion as pretty much the rest of us as to the lack of value this item likely has. Hope you had a wonderful New Years.

ullmandds 01-02-2023 03:15 PM

i would not buy this, personally. As has been stated the value is in the value of the dollar bill...the rest is a leap of sorts.

sb1 01-02-2023 03:16 PM

Assuming the bill is not glued down, it's $200-250 for it without the back story.

BobC 01-02-2023 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sb1 (Post 2300248)
Assuming the bill is not glued down, it's $200-250 for it without the back story.

Scott,

Is that for just the bill itself? I am no currency expert, by any means, but in my very quick online search I came across the earlier link I found and posted with commentary that a bill from around then would be worth maybe $40 or so in used condition. I know the bill in question is from the NY Federal Reserve, is that, or some other factor, the reason this particular bill would/could be worth so much more than expected? Am curious to find out.

Regardless, is still way less than what was being asked on Ebay.

GrayGhost 01-02-2023 05:01 PM

Thanks all.

I feel its an odd piece, and along with most of you I feel there is little value outside the bill.

Even if Cobb or someone bet the bill, the leap of faith would be huge. But, at least there would be more value

JollyElm 01-02-2023 05:13 PM

If the bet/money won was from the next World Series, 1919, then that would have been quite an interesting topic.

Scott Garner 01-02-2023 07:31 PM

I'll go out on a limb and say that I'm sure that this item will find a buyer.
It only takes one... ;)

UKCardGuy 01-04-2023 06:21 PM

It looks like the same piece sold for $195 2 years ago

https://www.ebth.com/items/12089440-...-baseball-note

cornhusker 01-04-2023 08:06 PM

Well thats a fairly reliable comp :)

Jay Wolt 01-05-2023 05:54 AM

Not sure of the value, but would make a neat display piece as is

Duluth Eskimo 01-07-2023 12:33 PM

The seller is a great guy and a member on the forum. Why don’t you reach out to him and leave EBay / PayPal fees out of the equation to better work something out.

Aquarian Sports Cards 01-07-2023 12:56 PM

Unless the two named parties were someone people care about today it's worth the collectible value of the dollar, to me anyway.