Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   A grading question- SGC (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=81533)

Archive 06-30-2006 02:34 PM

A grading question- SGC

Posted By: <b>Bob</b><p>I just got my grades back on some Zeenuts I submitted to SGC and things turned out pretty well considering they are so tough on these jewels. I even managed an 80 which is almost unheard of. The question I have concerns a 1913 McArdle I submitted. The grade on the site says 0-S. I am assuming this means no grade given because the card is "short." Is this correct? I wondered since the 1913s had coupons which have almost always been removed, has anyone had any of them graded sans coupon? They are all going to be "short" if the coupon has been removed. I guess I should have asked that it be graded authentic, perhaps. <br />Any of you Zeenut collectors have any insight here?<br />Thanks,<br />tbob

Archive 06-30-2006 02:49 PM

A grading question- SGC

Posted By: <b>T206Collector</b><p>...but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.<br /><br />Seriously, I have had a conversation with SGC regarding the 0-S designation on T206 cards. It means that the card measures too short/small for the issue, but that they have found no evidence of trimming. It is almost as if they do not want to say that the card is altered, but they also cannot say definitively that it hasn't been altered. It's just too small for the issue and therefore they do not want to holder it. I think you may even not be charged for such a submission, because they couldn't holder it or call it altered -- for both of which fees are charged.<br /><br />

Archive 06-30-2006 02:57 PM

A grading question- SGC

Posted By: <b>Brian McQueen</b><p><br />Bob,<br /><br />I think that's exactly what the "0-S" on their website means. "s" refers to a card measuring "short" or not meeting "size requirements". They'll also give out that designation when you submit strip cards to them that were cut too short and don't measure up. They wouldn't label a handcut card as trimmed, nor would they for your 1913 Zeenut with the coupon cut off. However, if the card doesn't meet the size requirements they will send it back unslabbed with a label attached letting you know the card measured short. Basically, it's sort of like them telling you that whoever owned the card first cut too much of the coupon off the card for your card to be placed in a holder now.<br /><br />Hope this helps,<br />Brian

Archive 06-30-2006 03:00 PM

A grading question- SGC

Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>They either need to grade them or have a good rule of thumb for them. Maybe, if the coupon is cut off, they will only grade AUT? Maybe they will grade it and put a "hand cut" designation on it...which I think could be best. Like some other issues I wish there was some set guideline(s).....FWIW I have seen Zeenuts without coupons graded different ways (or not graded, as yours was Bob)...I think if you would have requested it they would have definitely given you an AUT. They seem to be fairly lenient on that designation, which I agree with......regards

Archive 06-30-2006 03:22 PM

A grading question- SGC

Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>They will grade Zeenuts w/o coupons but not Red Man tobacco. Makes no sense to me. I've had a few kicked as too short too. I'd rather not bother with the "A" slab on them. Consequently, most of my Zeenut collection is unslabbed.

Archive 06-30-2006 03:23 PM

A grading question- SGC

Posted By: <b>Josh K.</b><p>SGC Rejection Codes: <br />Code Description Tag <br />A Altered ALT <br />B Bleached BLE <br />C Color Added COL <br />E Power Erased ERA <br />G Minimum Graded Not Met MIN <br />L Too Large to Holder (Oversized) LRG <br />N Miscut MIS <br />M Cannot/Do Not Grade NO <br />P Pressed PRS <br />R Rebuilt REB <br />S Too Small to Holder (Short) SML <br />T Evidence of Trimming TRM <br />X Counterfeit COU <br />Z Resurfaced SUR <br />