Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Ebay question (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=225250)

whiteymet 07-09-2016 08:50 PM

Ebay question

Question for you ebay sellers.

When you list an item with the Best Offer availability and preset an amount that you will not sell it for less for, and someone makes an offer under your "floor" do you see the offer even though ebay automatically rejects it?

I often wonder about the sellers who put ridiculous prices on their items along with OBO if they see these offers to get an idea of what their items are really worth. Or maybe they just don't they care?

jfkheat 07-09-2016 10:04 PM

You do not see the offers that are under your minimum unless the buyer makes another offer that is above the minimum. I think you will see the low offer if someone else makes an offer above the minimum.
James

pokerplyr80 07-09-2016 10:09 PM

I'm not an ebay seller, but I'm not sure that's correct. I have made an offer, had it auto decline, then had the seller email me and say my offer was close to what they would have accepted, and a deal was made. He would have had to been notified some how. I did not send a separate email.

jonvancouver 07-09-2016 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 (Post 1560157)
I'm not an ebay seller, but I'm not sure that's correct. I have made an offer, had it auto decline, then had the seller email me and say my offer was close to what they would have accepted, and a deal was made. He would have had to been notified some how. I did not send a separate email.

I've had the exact same thing happen to me so I think they must see an offer that gets auto declined.

polishman 07-10-2016 03:16 AM

You are able to view offers that are auto declined, but you do not get an automatic notification. You have to manually go to your active listings and review offers on the item. I have never used it as a way of finding out its real value, mostly use it to save myself time from low ballers

ibuysportsephemera 07-10-2016 07:34 AM

You do not get automatic notifications unless a buyer includes a note. I have emailed eBay asking them to change this policy. I have at times reviewed my items and see that an offer has been made. If it is close to my bottom price, I will contact the prospective buyer and let them know that I will accept their offer. I do not have the time to review every item, so I wonder how much potential business I have missed.

Jeff

Aquarian Sports Cards 07-10-2016 07:56 AM

Why use the auto-respond setting at all? I never do. It takes two seconds to respond to a low-ball offer, and I never have to worry about missing anything. How many bad offers can you possibly be receiving that the auto-respond feature saves you significant time?

pokerplyr80 07-10-2016 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 1560227)
Why use the auto-respond setting at all? I never do. It takes two seconds to respond to a low-ball offer, and I never have to worry about missing anything. How many bad offers can you possibly be receiving that the auto-respond feature saves you significant time?

A good point. I don't understand why an auto decline would be set so close to what you're willing to accept. I would use it to weed out ridiculous offers if you feel a deal would never be reached. But if a card is listed at say 2k obo, and you would take 1500, don't auto decline anything under 1400. I'm often willing to go more than my initial offer, but have to start somewhere. In this example I may set an auto decline at 800 or 1k.

ibuysportsephemera 07-10-2016 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 1560227)

A ton....I would rather lose the business than deal with the morons who make ridiculous offers.

Jeff

Aquarian Sports Cards 07-10-2016 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibuysportsephemera (Post 1560355)
A ton....I would rather lose the business than deal with the morons who make ridiculous offers.

Jeff

Well you're probably not blaming the system like some others. You have made a choice knowing the possible repercussions. For me I'd say 1/3 of my offers are patently ridiculous, but still in raw numbers it's just not that much time for me.