Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Why Isn't This Card More Valuable????? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=76286)

Archive 03-03-2005 10:05 AM

Why Isn't This Card More Valuable?????

Posted By: <b>Mike</b><p>I was wondering about a card. I forget, it's either a '58 or '59 Topps Baseball and it's called "Words Of Wisdom" and it has Casey Stengle and Don Larson on it. I've looked in Beckett and there are other "combo" cards in there.....Aaron & Mantle, "Corsair Trio" (w/ Clemete) etc. All these cards are listed as being of decent value......Why not "Words Of Wisdom"?????I mean, Don Larson is the only man EVER to pitch a perfect game in the World Series...this fact, plus a brief bio of Casey are on the back of the card. Does anyone think this card will increase in value as the years add up (we're approaching 50 years now) separating the time of this amazing pitching feat?

Archive 03-03-2005 10:10 AM

Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>This is actually a pre-World War II chat board, but I'll transgress for a moment. Two player Topps cards are less valuable than single player cards, and as far as an investment, don't sell your shares of IBM (does anyone still buy IBM) and switch the money over to Larsen/Stengel cards. Buy one for yourself and stop.

Archive 03-03-2005 10:18 AM

Posted By: <b>Rob L</b><p>Larsen was only average pitcher who happened to have one incredible WS game. Jim Abbott is a more fascinating story considering his handicap and was able to still throw a no-hitter at Yankee Stadium, but his cards didn't and won't jump in value either.

Archive 03-03-2005 10:21 AM

Posted By: <b>Julie</b><p>radio, and then getting up and announcing the perfect game in class...I think it was a math class.

Archive 03-03-2005 11:14 AM

Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>Card prices are based strictly on what people pay for them. Fair or unfair, that's the way it works. <br /><br />Some of the stuff I collect is undervalued in my opinion. That's fine by me when I buy. It's when I sell that get grumpy.<br /><br />It's a common mistake to equate the quality of a piece of memorabilia with its market value. Just as one shouldn't judge the quality of a movie by reading the box office figures in the newspaper.

Archive 03-03-2005 01:41 PM

Posted By: <b>Cap</b><p>Larsen was truly a one trick pony. <br /><br />If we based value on one achievement, I'd be a wealthy man with my Bobby Thomson memorabilia. <br /><br />Cap<br><br>I can see that your head has been twisted and fed by worthless foam from the mouth-Bob Dylan