Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Benny Bengough (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=237745)

Snapolit1 04-02-2017 09:09 AM

Benny Bengough

We all have our own individual quirks and special brand of OCD . . . .one of mine is pronouncing names wrong. Anyone know how you pronounce Bengough?

Ben - go? Rhymes with Van Gogh?

or Ben - gock? Rhymes with a town in China?

or Ben -gohze? Rhymes with ten shows?

JustinD 04-02-2017 09:18 AM

From his SABR bio:

"As newcomers to the Yankees, Bengough and young Lou Gehrig were assigned to room together. The two ex-college men immediately hit it off and forged a strong, lasting friendship. Bengough also became a favorite of Babe Ruth. They started a pregame ritual of warming up together, a habit Ruth felt brought good luck. It was from this daily ritual that Bengough’s nickname was derived.

Ruth was notoriously bad at remembering names. In most cases he simply referred to males as Kid and females as Sister. In seeking out Benny for their pregame warmup, Ruth couldn’t come up with the name of his little buddy. The closest he could come to Benny was remembering Barney Google, a popular comic-strip character at the time. Ruth proceeded to start barking for “Googles.” Teammates roared, and knew what was up; from that day on, Benny was christened with the monikers of Barney or Googles. Ruth and Bengough remained close friends as teammates and beer-drinking partners. Benny was part of Babe’s inner circle of friends, accompanying the Bambino on offseason barnstorming tours and hunting trips.

Bengough claimed to have the most mispronounced last name in all of baseball history. “Almost everybody called me ‘Bengow,’ ” he said. Yankees owner Jacob Ruppert “called me ‘Benkopf.’ But the way my name was really pronounced was ‘Bengoff.’ "

Snapolit1 04-02-2017 09:29 AM

Cool. Thanks Justin.

drcy 04-02-2017 10:03 AM

Harry S. Truman grew up in a small town, but was a voracious reader at the the local library. It was said that as a politician he had an impressive vocabulary but mispronounced many of the words, because he learned them from reading.

JustinD 04-02-2017 10:26 AM

You're welcome :)

Glad I read that because I am calling him Barney Googles from now on, lol.

Snapolit1 04-02-2017 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drcy (Post 1646859)
Harry S. Truman grew up in a small town, but was a voracious reader at the the local library. It was said that as a politician he had an impressive vocabulary but mispronounced many of the words, because he learned them from reading.

I've often though better someone tries to use big words and pronounces them wrong than not have any interest in developing an interesting vocabulary.

Kawika 04-02-2017 11:20 AM

It took me years to get over pronouncing Lajoie as La-joy and I still trip over Honus (it's Hon-iss) and now I've got to say Ben-goff? I'll stick with Ben-go. I'm too old for this.

asoriano 04-02-2017 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinD (Post 1646840)
From his SABR bio:

"As newcomers to the Yankees, Bengough and young Lou Gehrig were assigned to room together. The two ex-college men immediately hit it off and forged a strong, lasting friendship. Bengough also became a favorite of Babe Ruth. They started a pregame ritual of warming up together, a habit Ruth felt brought good luck. It was from this daily ritual that Bengough’s nickname was derived.

Ruth was notoriously bad at remembering names. In most cases he simply referred to males as Kid and females as Sister. In seeking out Benny for their pregame warmup, Ruth couldn’t come up with the name of his little buddy. The closest he could come to Benny was remembering Barney Google, a popular comic-strip character at the time. Ruth proceeded to start barking for “Googles.” Teammates roared, and knew what was up; from that day on, Benny was christened with the monikers of Barney or Googles. Ruth and Bengough remained close friends as teammates and beer-drinking partners. Benny was part of Babe’s inner circle of friends, accompanying the Bambino on offseason barnstorming tours and hunting trips.

Bengough claimed to have the most mispronounced last name in all of baseball history. “Almost everybody called me ‘Bengow,’ ” he said. Yankees owner Jacob Ruppert “called me ‘Benkopf.’ But the way my name was really pronounced was ‘Bengoff.’ "

Very interesting...

Tennis13 04-03-2017 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1646836)
We all have our own individual quirks and special brand of OCD . . . .one of mine is pronouncing names wrong. Anyone know how you pronounce Bengough?

Ben - go? Rhymes with Van Gogh?

or Ben - gock? Rhymes with a town in China?

or Ben -gohze? Rhymes with ten shows?

What Chinese city? I have to admit, I am stumped on that one.

WillowGrove 04-03-2017 10:13 AM

Thanks for posting that excerpt from his bio Justin. Really interesting info.

David, I too spent decades calling Nap, "La-joy".

And to address the original post, as an 8 year old I used to pronounce Don McMahon,
Don Mac mah hone. Ya know, phonetically.

And also pronounced Sonny Seibert as Sony.

In my favor I did pronounce Angels pitcher John Verehoven correctly. :)

bn2cardz 04-03-2017 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennis13 (Post 1647224)
What Chinese city? I have to admit, I am stumped on that one.

I would assume he meant Thailand?

Snapolit1 04-03-2017 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bn2cardz (Post 1647245)
I would assume he meant Thailand?

Indeed I did. Thai city.

CobbSpikedMe 04-04-2017 05:38 PM

How does everyone pronounce Marquard?

Snapolit1 04-04-2017 05:50 PM

I'd say MAR -kward. BUt who knows.