Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   PWCC Huigens Now Has a Criminal Defense Attorney (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=271595)

NYYFan63 07-23-2019 10:58 AM

PWCC Huigens Now Has a Criminal Defense Attorney

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.co...ting-with-fbi/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aquarian Sports Cards 07-23-2019 11:13 AM

Rob, he got the information here lol.

NYYFan63 07-23-2019 11:33 AM

Ha! I saw the headline before I read the article. Was not aware he was a board member...

Aquarian Sports Cards 07-23-2019 11:42 AM

:)

oldjudge 07-23-2019 11:43 AM

Hopefully, Jeff’s involvement will lead to the exposure of all the criminals involved and their imprisonment. I think this ultimately will be a net positive for the hobby.

Aquarian Sports Cards 07-23-2019 11:54 AM

Well if Jeff is representing some of the criminals I am going to go out on a limb and guess that he might be fighting against their imprisonment.

asphaltman 07-23-2019 12:00 PM

A little surpised by this...but then again...not so much.

How the hell is PWCC still actively selling on eBay?

Peter_Spaeth 07-23-2019 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asphaltman (Post 1901670)
A little surpised by this...but then again...not so much.

How the hell is PWCC still actively selling on eBay?

See my signature line.

wondo 07-23-2019 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 1901669)
Well if Jeff is representing some of the criminals I am going to go out on a limb and guess that he might be fighting against their imprisonment.

Of course. Brent hires an adept attorney to help figure out the best way to save his ass. It may or may not have a positive long term affect on the hobby (as is being advertised), but I pretty certain Brent isn't interested in that. But if it does benefit the hobby and folks get restitution, the pitchforks will be lowered somewhat, which can only be a positive for Brent's future wardrobe.

AGuinness 07-23-2019 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wondo (Post 1901672)
It may or may not have a positive long term affect on the hobby (as is being advertised), but I pretty certain Brent isn't interested in that.

Truer words have never been spoken. Brent isn't, hasn't and won't ever be interested in the long-term affect on the hobby.

perezfan 07-23-2019 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AGuinness (Post 1901673)
Truer words have never been spoken. Brent isn't, hasn't and won't ever be interested in the long-term affect on the hobby.

Nope... just maximizing the money. And screwing collectors over, no matter what the cost.

His sad letter on conservation (once the waters got hot) is proof alone of this. And any “good deeds” he’s doing now (refunds + acknowledgement of misrepresentation) are being done at the firm instruction of his legal team.

A classic case of changing one’s tune, only because they were caught.

asphaltman 07-23-2019 12:26 PM

I'd have to go back to the beginning of the PWCC debacle. But could swear Jeff made not just one or two, but numerous comments negatively towards Brent. Ahh, to be a criminal defense attorney in the good ol' USA.

Peter_Spaeth 07-23-2019 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AGuinness (Post 1901673)

He's still up to no good, witness his recent attempt to sell the altered T3 Cobb even after he knew it was tainted. Had the consignor not insisted it be taken down, he would have sold it to some unsuspecting collector.

slidekellyslide 07-23-2019 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1901683)
He's still up to no good, witness his recent attempt to sell the altered T3 Cobb even after he knew it was tainted. Had the consignor not insisted it be taken down, he would have sold it to some unsuspecting collector.

Is he still going through with the tax avoidance vault?

Peter_Spaeth 07-23-2019 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slidekellyslide (Post 1901686)
Is he still going through with the tax avoidance vault?

I would presume so although I don't know if people are still comfortable sending cards to it.

slidekellyslide 07-23-2019 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asphaltman (Post 1901679)
I'd have to go back to the beginning of the PWCC debacle. But could swear Jeff made not just one or two, but numerous comments negatively towards Brent. Ahh, to be a criminal defense attorney in the good ol' USA.

Absolutely brilliant move by Brent and Betsy. They've bought the silence of one of their loudest critics, and likely the most powerful when it comes to connections with law enforcement.

Rhotchkiss 07-23-2019 12:51 PM

So I am thinking of sending my collection to this vault in Oregon, what do you guys think?

Quote:

Originally Posted by wondo (Post 1901672)
But if it does benefit the hobby and folks get restitution, the pitchforks will be lowered somewhat, which can only be a positive for Brent's future wardrobe.

I hope the pitchforks aim true. I would like to see repercussions as well as restitution.

Keep fighting the good fight BODA - the tide seems to be turning. Thanks again

BeanTown 07-23-2019 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 1901692)
So I am thinking of sending my collection to this vault in Oregon, what do you guys think?

I hope the pitchforks aim true. I would like to see repercussions as well as restitution.

Keep fighting the good fight BODA - the tide seems to be turning. Thanks again

I still don't understand how the vault thing works? There are still many auction companies that DONT charge tax that I win stuff from. So, whats the advantage?

Peter_Spaeth 07-23-2019 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeanTown (Post 1901693)
I still don't understand how the vault thing works? There are still many auction companies that DONT charge tax that I win stuff from. So, whats the advantage?

I am not a tax lawyer, but if you buy from an AH that doesn't yet charge sales tax but ships to you, you still owe tax to your home state if it charges it. If the card is shipped to a state that doesn't charge sales tax such as Oregon, you may not owe tax to your home state at least at that point. Please correct me if I have this wrong.

Rhotchkiss 07-23-2019 01:10 PM

Jay, I was totally joking. I will no longer bid or buy from PWCC, so the last thing I would do is send my cards to them! I guess my "joke" missed the mark. I just hope the pitchforks have better aim!

HRBAKER 07-23-2019 01:36 PM

Don't forget the sarcasm font. ;)

samosa4u 07-23-2019 01:52 PM

Goudey77 07-23-2019 02:04 PM

Good luck to everyone involved

calvindog 07-23-2019 02:43 PM

Guys, if you don't mind, I'd like to keep discussions about me limited to my dealings with cards. I come to this board to discuss cards and nothing else in my life and it's an oasis for me in an otherwise stressful career for this reason.

If that's too much for some of you to handle, I'll no longer post about the hobby-related cases, etc. I'm involved in or respond to questions. I hope you can understand that I'm not going to make myself available to discuss these issues with you all while also having to deal with every idiot who posts about my other cases, etc.

Fuddjcal 07-23-2019 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldjudge (Post 1901664)
Hopefully, Jeff’s involvement will lead to the exposure of all the criminals involved and their imprisonment. I think this ultimately will be a net positive for the hobby.

Hopefully, Santa Claus will come down the chimney December 25th too.

It will all be swept under the rug don't worry.

BUSINESS
AS
USUAL.

Including recoloring, trimming and soaking in chemicals. Whatever it takes to keep PSA & PWCC in business with ZERO ramifications for their business plans to ALWAYS have new cards popping out of THIN AIR, just like they have been doing. You can count on it.

Fuddjcal 07-23-2019 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 1901742)
Guys, if you don't mind, I'd like to keep discussions about me limited to my dealings with cards. I come to this board to discuss cards and nothing else in my life and it's an oasis for me in an otherwise stressful career for this reason.

If that's too much for some of you to handle, I'll no longer post about the hobby-related cases, etc. I'm involved in or respond to questions. I hope you can understand that I'm not going to make myself available to discuss these issues with you all while also having to deal with every idiot who posts about my other cases, etc.

Agreed. You should not have to do that. Total BS.
They are water under the bridge....just like this one is.

It's already passed and over with now that you're on the case.

Like I said, It's just hard to swallow, maybe it's the Novocain

Peter_Spaeth 07-23-2019 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuddjcal (Post 1901746)
Hopefully, Santa Claus will come down the chimney December 25th too.

It will all be swept under the rug don't worry.

BUSINESS
AS
USUAL.

Including recoloring, trimming and soaking in chemicals. Whatever it takes to keep PSA & PWCC in business with ZERO ramifications for their business plans to ALWAYS have new cards popping out of THIN AIR, just like they have been doing. You can count on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS3O5zg290k

asphaltman 07-23-2019 03:04 PM

Quote:

I think everyone understands you can no longer comment on this case on this forum. It’s just not going to stop everyone else from putting in their two cents.

As far as PWCC, Those that can afford upper echelon council have always retained such. That’s always been the American way too.

Beastmode 07-23-2019 03:40 PM

Quote:

That's a fair request everyone should honor.

I'm not sure how this situation moves too far along without PWCC throwing PSA under the bus. Seems inevitable that your role is not only to defend PWCC, but establish the rules of how baseball cards are graded and authenticated. Can you divulge if PSA's attorney is cooperating with the FBI?

Let's be clear here, PWCC never encapsulated an altered card, PSA did. If PSA has deficiencies in detecting altered cards, that is not PWCC's fault, nor any other 1,000's of submitter's.

There are some very important precedence's that could be established from this case. Most of which, IMO, could be good for the industry. Your carrying a big torch here Jeff, and it appears you are prepared.

Santo10Fan 07-23-2019 03:42 PM

My only question would be, what took him so long?

Frank A 07-23-2019 03:43 PM

Very interesting that a guy who thought all this was a ripoff, then decides to represent this guy who ripped off collectors. As a collector I would think you would have thought about what you are doing before taking the job of sticking collectors with their altered stinking cards. Disgrace.

bnorth 07-23-2019 03:44 PM

Quote:

I am sure Mr Lichtman will do what is best for the hobby and his client who was obviously used by less than honest card doctors.

1952boyntoncollector 07-23-2019 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank A (Post 1901770)
Very interesting that a guy who thought all this was a ripoff, then decides to represent this guy who ripped off collectors. As a collector I would think you would have thought about what you are doing before taking the job of sticking collectors with their altered stinking cards. Disgrace.

I also mentioned the fact about lack of lawsuits and he was always criticizing my posts saying that means nothing and there was lots of harm done despite that and now im sure he will say that the situations sucks but people got their money back and issue is over..

Frank A 07-23-2019 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1901772)
I am sure Mr Lichtman will do what is best for the hobby and his client who was obviously used by less than honest card doctors.

Is this post a joke or what. Are you that naive?

glchen 07-23-2019 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slidekellyslide (Post 1901689)
Absolutely brilliant move by Brent and Betsy. They've bought the silence of one of their loudest critics, and likely the most powerful when it comes to connections with law enforcement.

I agree. If Brent listens and does everything Jeff tells him to do, this is an absolute masterstroke.

nolemmings 07-23-2019 03:51 PM

Quote:

If Mr. Lichtman is required to choose a course of action that is in the best interest of his client but not in the best interest of the hobby, I am pretty confident I know which one he will choose.

Peter_Spaeth 07-23-2019 03:53 PM

Quote:

And it's all PSA's fault, not his, don't forget. If PSA passes an altered card, it's no problem to sell it even if you altered it yourself or know that your consignor did.

1952boyntoncollector 07-23-2019 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolemmings (Post 1901778)
If Mr. Lichtman is required to choose a course of action that is in the best interest of his client but not in the best interest of the hobby, I am pretty confident I know which one he will choose.

Well in the end it will be good for the hobby because jeff will make enough on this case to buy plenty of more high value cards which is good for the hobby to see prices go up...

Peter_Spaeth 07-23-2019 03:57 PM

Quote:

Since Brent by definition is good for the hobby, that conflict will never arise. :eek:

Peter_Spaeth 07-23-2019 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank A (Post 1901775)
Is this post a joke or what. Are you that naive?

Ben is kidding.

bnorth 07-23-2019 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1901779)
And it's all PSA's fault, not his, don't forget. If PSA passes an altered card, it's no problem to sell it even if you altered it yourself or know that your consignor did.

That is so obvious I didn't think I would have to mention it.

Peter_Spaeth 07-23-2019 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1901786)
That is so obvious I didn't think I would have to mention it.

I may have to bring my neighbor Susan C the professional restorer some cards to work on. If she can get them into higher grade slabs, which surely she can, I can sell them and sleep easy because it's all PSA's fault.

kateighty 07-23-2019 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HRBAKER (Post 1901705)
Don't forget the sarcasm font. ;)

Well said.

Aquarian Sports Cards 07-23-2019 04:27 PM

Quote:

if mr. Lichtman is required to choose a course of action that is in the best interest of his client but not in the best interest of the hobby, i am pretty confident i know which one he is legally obligated to choose.

fyp

conor912 07-23-2019 04:37 PM

Quote:

If I'm following all of this correctly (you openly criticizing Brent and his actions then taking him - as his money - as a client), then it sounds like you should have thought about this request before shitting on your own doorstep.

If I have it wrong, by all means someone please correct me.

CMIZ5290 07-23-2019 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1901671)
See my signature line.

This is absolutely unbelievable, Mind boggling, staggering....What about all of the threads and posts bashing PWCC that he made? Now, he's Huigen's attorney?? Wow, only in America I guess....What a crock of hypocritical bull shit.....

1952boyntoncollector 07-23-2019 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 (Post 1901797)
This is absolutely unbelievable, Mind boggling, staggering....What about all of the threads and posts bashing PWCC that he made? Now, he's Huigen's attorney?? Wow, only in America I guess....

I dont think its a big deal on that. He can do what he wants. In the real world he looks fine, more than fine actually. Sounds like can do big things actually with the hobby. I think many (not net54 posters but the people in the real world )would be envious of the job he will be doing. If he didnt take it there would of been TONS of others that would of wanted that job.

However, he loses just about every argument he says on net54 now with posters in the past given the hypocritical nature of all. Tough to know what he really believes

But if losing all arguments on net54 is the negative, the positive is the tons of money he will make and continue to buy cards most of us will never sniff and its just at the expense of being net54 bait..

Most people would choose the job and the money. Is net54 bait really that bad thing to be? Lots of people rather have the big money and the job..even if the job is stressful as he said....

CMIZ5290 07-23-2019 05:02 PM

Huigens is obviously doing this for two reasons- one, Lichtman's prowess as an attorney, and two, Lichtman's strong knowledge of the sports card trade. Having said that, can his public posts and tirades towards PWCC come back and haunt him in the end.....

bnorth 07-23-2019 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by conor912 (Post 1901795)
If I'm following all of this correctly (you openly criticizing Brent and his actions then taking him - as his money - as a client), then it sounds like you should have thought about this request before shitting on your own doorstep.

If I have it wrong, by all means someone please correct me.

This is my take. Brent who was obviously taken advantage of because of his kind and generous heart. Contacted Mr Lichtman and explained how he was taken advantage of. Mr Lichtman realized how he could help the hobby by exposing those evil people who took advantage of his naive client.

It is obvious that PSA is the one at fault here. Brent didn't encapsulate any of the 10-15 bad cards that got past PSA.

Now Brent feels so bad that he was taken advantage of he is trying to get those 10-15 people their money back.

Now in the best interest of the hobby we should never speak of this tiny insignificant error ever again.

1952boyntoncollector 07-23-2019 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 (Post 1901802)
Huigens is obviously doing this for two reasons- one, Lichtman's prowess as an attorney, and two, Lichtman's strong knowledge of the sports card trade. Having said that, can his public posts and tirades towards PWCC come back and haunt him in the end.....

The posts mean ZERO in the real world outside of net54 to me....he just looks bad on net54... for his case, zero impact..