Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Should I, or another moderator, bid in the Net54baseball.com auctions? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=113120)

Leon 06-09-2009 08:49 PM

Should I, or another moderator, bid in the Net54baseball.com auctions?

I just won a card, in one of our Net54 live auctions. I need it for my Obak 150 series subset. It got me to thinking ....Would someone not bid against me as I am the peasant/ forum owner or because they see a high bidder is a moderator? I would hope they would care less, but could it affect the final prices negatively? If other moderators, or I, don't bid might THAT keep the prices down? This might be a conundrum.:eek:

Anthony S. 06-09-2009 08:53 PM

As the dude whose auction you just won, yes, by all means you should bid.

V117collector 06-09-2009 08:56 PM

If it's a conundrum, why ask why?:eek:

Leon 06-09-2009 08:59 PM

Anthony

Thanks....we will see what others say too. I would feel bad if someone didn't realize the best price they thought they could get and it was because others didn't bid against me. That would suck. Maybe I am dreaming and that would never happen but it just crossed my mind ....I think the card I won is about equal to the level I won it ast, maybe $20 more on a decent day. I do track them a little bit. I see the 150 series be about 2x-4x of regular 175 series....

Leon 06-09-2009 09:00 PM

Brad

Quote:

Originally Posted by V117collector (Post 728914)
If it's a conundrum, why ask why?:eek:

I dunno....maybe because that is what intelligent people do?

Jim VB 06-09-2009 09:03 PM

Do you really think anyone on this board won't bid because they might be bidding against you?

Do you think that has happened in the past with Ebay, or other auction houses?

As long as you're not "fooling" with the others posts and bids, I don't have any problem with it (assuming, of course, that you confine yourself to Lajoie and Cobb cards and stay away from NY Giants Schedule Postcards!)

V117collector 06-09-2009 09:05 PM

Leon,

Why segregate yourself from the other members, we all know whos running the show!!! so you bidding would make no difference;)

batsballsbases 06-09-2009 09:13 PM

should I bid

I see no problem with it at all. I feel its an auction and anyone be it moderator or member has a chance to bid on the item and let the final bid take it. Now if you tell me the forum owner can control the last bid well then I guess we might have a problem:D:D:D:eek::eek::eek::):)

smokeyjoewood 06-09-2009 09:28 PM

should i...

I don't see a problem with you bidding. I do think some people might be reluctant to bid if they can't do so anonymously though.

canjond 06-09-2009 09:39 PM

No problems if you bid in my opinion. I'm not scared of you Leon. :D

Kotton King 06-09-2009 09:42 PM

No problem here either.

HRBAKER 06-09-2009 09:44 PM

I see no issue at all. Bid away.

Leon 06-09-2009 09:46 PM

total transperancy

I have no magic wand in the auctions. Thanks for the feedback. We will see how the Net54baseball.com live auctions go. So far so good (knock on wood). I am optimistic....thanks for the feedback guys..!! http://cdn.content.sweetim.com/sim/c...s/00020058.gif

D. Broughman 06-09-2009 09:49 PM

Ok with me

It is OK with me as long as you don't use your Quarter you use on post! D.

asoriano 06-09-2009 09:49 PM

We are all collectors

Everybody should be given the opportunity to bid.

Doug 06-09-2009 09:49 PM

I don't see an issue with it at all. It wouldn't keep me from bidding unless it results in getting banned. :)

rhettyeakley 06-09-2009 11:29 PM

Leon, if I see YOU bidding I will bid even more just to beat you!:)
-Rhett

alanu 06-10-2009 12:09 AM

Here's a somewhat similar card won on ebay a few months back and the price was similar... I say bid away

http://tinyurl.com/mrpqty

autograf 06-10-2009 06:28 AM

At least there where your name is out in the open, it's better than bidding in a private or catalog auction that you might run.

Rich Klein 06-10-2009 08:39 AM

Since these are public auctions so to speak

Then everyone -- including Lee Behrens on Jay's material and vice versa should be able to bid.

This is as close to old school auctions of the 1980's as we will see

Regards
Rich

Matt 06-10-2009 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Klein (Post 728986)
This is as close to old school auctions of the 1980's as we will see

Old school auctions were like a black hole - you didn't know who else was bidding, how much they bid, who won, and sometimes not even what the winning bid was. This is almost the opposite of that, other then the similarity that it's run by individual collectors instead of an auction house.

Rich Klein 06-10-2009 08:54 AM

My apologies

I meant the public auctions of the 1980's; usually held in an hotel or as part of a show.

My bad for not making that clear

Rich

calvindog 06-10-2009 08:56 AM

If Bill Mastro can bid on Mastro auctions, why can't you bid on Net 54 auctions? It's not like you know the ceiling bids, right? :)

Leon 06-10-2009 09:02 AM

Matt

I think what Rich was really meaning is that these auctions are actually fun. From reading hundreds of old trade rags I totally agree with you though on how there used to be time lapses and a big black hole in information pertaining to auctions. These are in fact opposite in that respect. These are totally transparent. I like how:

1. I am not involved in any rules. (except my own auctions)
2. So far everyone is having total transparency (can't get any better imo)
3. So far there haven't been any big issues.

I am glad our members thought of this idea. Thanks to all who are participating. I wonder if that section will out grow the others?

Rich Klein 06-10-2009 09:05 AM

TY Leon

That is exactly what I meant. Believe it or not; the public auctions of the 1980's were a lot of fun to attend. And these auctions are the closest thing to those events.

Geez; you'd think I'd stop for a second sometimes :)

Rich

Leon 06-10-2009 09:06 AM

Jeff

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 728991)
If Bill Mastro can bid on Mastro auctions, why can't you bid on Net 54 auctions? It's not like you know the ceiling bids, right? :)

I had a friendly debate with a board member last night about this very subject. He is not affiliated with any auction house at all but is a very passionate collector for the last 35 yrs. He sees no issue with auction company employees bidding in their own auctions. I have never thought that was a good idea, personally. Ceiling bids? Unless I am a mind reader I can't see me knowing anymore than anyone else...

Even in B and L Auctions Scott and I made a rule from day one that we can't see any up to bids and we can't bid in our own auctions. Of course every auction company will do what is best for them and we feel this is the best route for us...

Rich Klein 06-10-2009 09:07 AM

And on a different vein

I concur that getting these auctions up and going is a fine idea. Most of us have no way of really dealing with the "non major auction material" and this allows another outlet. And we got up quickly as well. I hope that any further advances when needed to this board come as quickly :)

Rich

Matt 06-10-2009 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Klein (Post 728990)
I meant the public auctions of the 1980's; usually held in an hotel or as part of a show.

Ahh - I was thinking older school - from the 70's :)

calvindog 06-10-2009 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 728996)
He sees no issue with auction company employees bidding in their own auctions. Ceiling bids? Unless I am a mind reader I can't see me knowing anymore than anyone else....

What if you don't need to be a mind reader to see ceiling bids? Just have eyes that work?

Leon 06-10-2009 09:25 AM

Jeff

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 729000)
What if you don't need to be a mind reader to see ceiling bids? Just have eyes that work?

I was talking about Net54baseball.com auctions. Where are my eyes supposed to look?

calvindog 06-10-2009 09:35 AM

Exactly, Leon. That's why it's ok for you to bid on Net 54 auctions and not ok for other auctioneers to bid on their auctions.

glynparson 06-10-2009 11:15 AM

Moderators

Absolutely should be allowed to bid.

drc 06-10-2009 11:30 AM

I think it's fine for Leon to bid, and it's fine for others to bid against him. My only objection would be if others chose not to bid against Leon. As perhaps noted before, it would be someone else's auction Leon would be bidding in, not his own, and he and the other moderators get 0% financial return from sales and auctions that are not their own. The commonly held issue with auction house employees bidding in their own auction house's auctions is due to the auction house receiving a percentage of the final prices.

FrankWakefield 06-10-2009 04:00 PM

1. Leon and the other moderators should be able to bid, so long as their identity is not concealed. Same thing if they're selling.

2. If there is ever a fee or commission that the seller or buyer pays to the board, then at that time site owners and administrators should not be allowed to bid. And the same if they're selling.

3. I would have no problem bidding against Leon if it was a card I wanted.

calvindog 06-10-2009 04:21 PM

I agree with Frank on all of his three points.

Exhibitman 06-10-2009 05:04 PM

You should only bid on them

if you want to win them; in other words, I don't have an issue with it.

Besides, none of us respect you enough to refrain from bidding if we see you in there anyway. :D

Sixtofan 06-10-2009 05:48 PM

No worries

I have no concerns about moderators bidding in those auctions as it is all transparent and I think others will happily bid against you

White Borders 06-10-2009 07:36 PM

Leon,

Yourself, Dan, and Brian are more than welcome to get into a bidding war on anything I might put up for auction :D

t206wagner 06-10-2009 08:08 PM

I don't see why you shouldn't bid on something that you are interested in.

FrankWakefield 06-10-2009 08:33 PM

I left out one more circumstance under which Leon and the others should not be allowed to bid or auction... And that would be if and when they start slabbing / grading cards. If they start that they shouldn't bid on cards they've graded, and they shouldn't sell any cards.

So as long as they're not in the card grading business, as long as this site doesn't charge fees for auctions, and if they're identity is clear, then have at it!!!

Wite3 06-10-2009 11:50 PM

I have no problem with Leon bidding...the problem I have is when he is bidding against me!!

Joshua

chris122868 06-11-2009 08:18 PM

I see no problem with you bidding on any of the auctions. As far as you being a moderator i don't see that being an advantage or disadvantage. I would not feel threatend or intimidated buy your bid,if you or anybody out bids me no problem.

Fred 06-11-2009 11:53 PM

Leon,

You think we wont bid against you becaue you're YOU? Now that's funny. We all love you, man. But we aint gonna hold back if we want something. You're funny...

martyogelvie 06-12-2009 07:09 AM

Sure you should bid, especially if I'm selling :D. not so much if I am bidding.. :eek: