Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Facebook page? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=228947)

Manny Trillo 09-22-2016 02:08 PM

Facebook page?

Has anyone evere tried to start a Facebook page foe bb cards that was successful? Seems like the interface would be much eaaier and more dynamic than Net54.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

pokerplyr80 09-22-2016 02:29 PM

A Facebook page would have an easier and more dynamic interface than this forum? How so?

Mdmtx 09-22-2016 02:48 PM

There are 100's if not 1,000's of Facebook card groups. Enter at your own risk. Some are awesome. Most have guys waiting to screw you out of your money or cards.

Mark

Leon 09-22-2016 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 (Post 1587450)
A Facebook page would have an easier and more dynamic interface than this forum? How so?

Yeah, Vbulletin forum software is so 1900s :) ....This board doesn't, and most likely won't, have a FaceBook page.

edited to add, the OP and I just had a brief chat and although FB is a great resource, it is not something that has the security or functionality this s/w does, for what we do....

pokerplyr80 09-22-2016 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1587462)
Yeah, Vbulletin forum software is so 1900s :) ....This board doesn't, and most likely won't, have a FaceBook page.

edited to add, the OP and I just had a brief chat and although FB is a great resource, it is not something that has the security or functionality this s/w does, for what we do....

Sounds about right. I don't really understand the point the OP was trying to make. I am curious to see why he thinks a Facebook page would be an improvement.

Manny Trillo 09-22-2016 05:05 PM

Well I'm inherently technically challenged so I find this forum pretty hard to interface. Maybe it's because there's so many different subcategories. I think Facebook is probly more convenient if there is just a general discussion. But I can see how this is different because people are buying and selling you need some level of security. Another thing I find hard to get used to on here is that when you reply to somebody it encapsulates their whole quote in a bubble with your reply at the end of it and the whole thing goes to t the end the thread. I'm used to Facebook where everything is linear and the reply is joined with the actual thing you're replying to right at the same location.

7nohitter 09-22-2016 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny Trillo (Post 1587438)
Has anyone evere tried to start a Facebook page foe bb cards that was successful? Seems like the interface would be much eaaier and more dynamic than Net54.

This has to be one of the stupidest comments I've ever read on this site. Seriously.

Manny Trillo 09-22-2016 05:19 PM

Well then, I just must be stupid.

Mountaineer1999 09-22-2016 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7nohitter (Post 1587514)
This has to be one of the stupidest comments I've ever read on this site. Seriously.

It was just an observation by the poster. This is why I never spoke up in school.

Mikehealer 09-22-2016 05:38 PM

Quote:

And this may be one of the most classless. Seriously.
Nice way to welcome a new member.

Aquarian Sports Cards 09-22-2016 05:42 PM

Quote:

Don't let it bug you Manny, I still say you could pick it in the field better than any other second baseman of your era.

Manny Trillo 09-22-2016 05:45 PM

It's all good. I appreciate it that the administrator actually reached out to me and was genuinely curious about my question. I'm glad this site exists , it's a great resource.

pokerplyr80 09-22-2016 05:49 PM

Manny everything is linear here in each thread. There are several sections for discussions on various subjects, as well as sections for items for sale or trade. If everything were organized into one time line it would be next to impossible to find what you're looking for.

Also, you don't have to quote another members response to reply in a thread. This is done by some so it's clear what their post is in reference to.

7nohitter 09-22-2016 05:53 PM

I reread that...I was too harsh, my apologies.

mechanicalman 09-22-2016 05:54 PM

This place is a nice respite from endless baby pictures, political commentary, and stupid viral videos that dominate Facebook. The content sometimes delves into the gutter here, but at least it's still generally focused on baseball cards.

Peter_Spaeth 09-22-2016 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mechanicalman (Post 1587536)
This place is a nice respite from endless baby pictures, political commentary, and stupid viral videos that dominate Facebook. The content sometimes delves into the gutter here, but at least it's still generally focused on baseball cards.

Why people want to make a public spectacle of their private lives escapes me.

Put down the iPhone, stop blogging and uploading and playing video games and lol'ing, and actually interact with people.

:)

h2oya311 09-22-2016 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1587542)
Why people want to make a public spectacle of their private lives escapes me.

Put down the iPhone, stop blogging and uploading and playing video games and lol'ing, and actually interact with people.

:)

Says a guy who probably uses that same technology to scroll through hundreds (scratch that...thousands) of eBay and Auction House listings each week to find a baseball card gem! I for one, am on a bus on the way home with my head buried in my cell phone reading Net54! My guess is there are many baseball card collectors who have had fewer than 10 face-to-face interactions w/ a fellow collector. I have had about four such interactions in my 15+ years of "serious/non childhood" collecting. The OPs question is not that far-fetched.

clydepepper 09-22-2016 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny Trillo (Post 1587438)

Give it a shot...after all, you already spell like you belong on facebook. LOL

Don't get too offended...it's called humor and was intended that way. :D

Manny Trillo 09-22-2016 06:47 PM

I know, right? My sister told me Id get used to a smartphone after I got it for the first time 6 months ago and I still can't type on it.

irv 09-22-2016 06:55 PM

Not that I belong to any, but there are many FB card collecting groups.
https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid...cting%20groups

EvilKing00 09-22-2016 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1587462)

Vbulletin is pre war !! Lol it fits our addiction

Chris Counts 09-22-2016 07:42 PM

I agree that the poster's question is very reasonable. It also seems reasonable to me for Net54 to have a Facebook page simply as a compliment to the real deal, just like countless other agencies, businesses and organizations. It would certainly increase Net54's exposure, if that's what is desired.

Beastmode 09-22-2016 08:09 PM

In full disclosure, I don't have a personal Facebook page and try to stay as far away from that site as possible. If Leon set up a Facebook page, I'd never go to it.

If your talking about setting up Facebook to communicate and hold forum discussions, no way. If you talking about just showing pictures, I'm out on that.

Facebook is only about one thing; trying to shove a fricking add in your face.

Peter_Spaeth 09-22-2016 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h2oya311 (Post 1587545)
Says a guy who probably uses that same technology to scroll through hundreds (scratch that...thousands) of eBay and Auction House listings each week to find a baseball card gem! I for one, am on a bus on the way home with my head buried in my cell phone reading Net54! My guess is there are many baseball card collectors who have had fewer than 10 face-to-face interactions w/ a fellow collector. I have had about four such interactions in my 15+ years of "serious/non childhood" collecting. The OPs question is not that far-fetched.

I see people walking down the street, or sitting at tables with their friends, who literally cannot take their eyes off their devices for more than a couple of seconds at a time. This cannot be a good thing for them or society. Even in professional meetings younger people especially have one eye (or even two) on their devices much of the time. And what compels people to put their daily lives online for all the world to see, I truly don't get that.

clydepepper 09-22-2016 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1587591)
I see people walking down the street, or sitting at tables with their friends, who literally cannot take their eyes off their devices for more than a couple of seconds at a time. This cannot be a good thing for them or society. Even in professional meetings younger people especially have one eye (or even two) on their devices much of the time. And what compels people to put their daily lives online for all the world to see, I truly don't get that.

+1

different generation

Jantz 09-22-2016 09:43 PM

Quote:

I notice this as well, although I'm not in meetings, but I see it when I'm out fishing. Maybe 1-4 people will show up and fish, all the while on their phones. After about 15 minutes they pack it in and leave because they haven't caught a fish or "the fish weren't biting". Personally I love it because it gives me the opportunity to fish along the entire shoreline and presents me with better chances to catch more fish.

Its not a video game or instant gratification, so if the fish don't respond right away, they leave. Patience is becoming a lost virtue.

I do have a Facebook page only because my Army buddy was in Iraq and it was a way for us to communicate instantly. Now that the war is over I've found that I have no need for Facebook.

Peter_Spaeth 09-23-2016 06:58 AM

If there isn't one already, there will be an app that locates the fish for them and turns catching them into a virtual reality video game.

JustinD 09-23-2016 07:16 AM

Quote:

As someone who has noticed this at even work meetings as well as social gatherings, I encourage people to use what I call the "the phone bet".

All members of the table place their phones face down on a pile in the center of the table. First person at the table to check their phone pays the bill.

I get many free lunches this way, lol.

Exceptions can be made per a table vote - ie: checking sports scores for the table.

jcc6252 09-23-2016 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mechanicalman (Post 1587536)

Besides, I'm blocked from the Facebook site at work, and Net54 is allowed, ha!

bn2cardz 09-23-2016 07:43 AM

To get a streamline like what you may be describing on Facebook I would suggest using the "New Posts" link. This lets you see all the new posts, no matter the category, since you last visited the page and puts them in order of newest to oldest.

This is the main way I use the site. This way allows me to see all the stuff that is recent without looking through every category that interests me.

frankbmd 09-23-2016 08:28 AM

What is this Farcebook of which you speak?:confused::confused::eek:

BengoughingForAwhile 09-23-2016 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1587714)

Not sure, but I believe it is an online social network which can trace its origins directly through the house of Winklevi.

MikeGarcia 09-23-2016 09:19 AM

Ah memories

Quote:

...back when I was a janitor at Harvard the kids putting it together referred to it as " The Facebook".....I suggested to them that they call it just " Facebook".....Cleaner.

Kawika 09-23-2016 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1587669)
If there isn't one already, there will be an app that locates the fish for them and turns catching them into a virtual reality video game.

It's a brave new world.
http://photos.imageevent.com/kawika_...ze/DMcD517.jpg

Leon 09-23-2016 11:45 AM

we're a dying breed....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kawika (Post 1587768)

Peter_Spaeth 09-23-2016 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kawika (Post 1587768)

@kawika @leon
I agree

Stampsfan 09-24-2016 01:30 AM

Quote:

I hear it's on computers now....

Manny Trillo 09-24-2016 07:20 AM

From "The Google Story": "They kept the homepage simple, from the start Google's clean look attractef computers users hunting for information in a cluttered world. Its primary colors and white background convey purity with universal appeal. It stood in marked contrast to the growing number of busy looking internet pages... it flies completely in the face of the common belief that people love to find their way through the noise."