Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   My Gamble for the night (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=248119)

Aquarian Sports Cards 11-27-2017 08:17 PM

My Gamble for the night

How do you think I did? He mistakenly listed it as Philadelphia, I checked with him before bidding and it is indeed Pittsburgh. The first back image is in a sleeve that has residue of some sort of writing on it, the second is cleaner. Looks like a decent card and frankly anything better than authentic is a profit. he hasn't done cards before but he has sold a number of items ranging up to $1000 so it looked like a risk worth taking. He also agreed to expedite shipping so hopefully I'll have it at Valley Forge. Love me some T200s! Little worried that the upper left corner (in his pictures) is recolored, but frankly I'd emery that off down to paper again if I had to as the rest of it is so clean.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1913-T200-F...vip=true&rt=nc

Leon 11-27-2017 08:51 PM

According to this recent sale you did pretty good. Nice buy.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1913-Fatima...p2047675.l2557

Aquarian Sports Cards 11-27-2017 08:58 PM

Thanks, got a good vibe from the guy with his prompt answers to questions and his willingness to expedite shipping, hopefully it'll all be right!

rainier2004 11-27-2017 09:01 PM

Nice, if you want to double your money contact me.

kvnkvnkvn 11-27-2017 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainier2004 (Post 1724361)
Nice, if you want to double your money contact me.

I bet everyone would love to hear this every so often. hahahaha

MikeGarcia 11-28-2017 07:05 AM

WOW .....just "WOW"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 1724360)
Thanks, got a good vibe from the guy with his prompt answers to questions and his willingness to expedite shipping, hopefully it'll all be right!

..and it's always really nice to find someone who ends their auctions earle evening on a Monday night during football season....good search !

Snapolit1 11-28-2017 07:11 AM

Cool card. Nearly bought one at the Hofstra show for quite a bit more than that. Sweet.

bnorth 11-28-2017 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 1724339)
How do you think I did? He mistakenly listed it as Philadelphia, I checked with him before bidding and it is indeed Pittsburgh. The first back image is in a sleeve that has residue of some sort of writing on it, the second is cleaner. Looks like a decent card and frankly anything better than authentic is a profit. he hasn't done cards before but he has sold a number of items ranging up to $1000 so it looked like a risk worth taking. He also agreed to expedite shipping so hopefully I'll have it at Valley Forge. Love me some T200s! Little worried that the upper left corner (in his pictures) is recolored, but frankly I'd emery that off down to paper again if I had to as the rest of it is so clean.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1913-T200-F...vip=true&rt=nc

Cool card and I like the honesty.

Aquarian Sports Cards 11-28-2017 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1724426)
Cool card and I like the honesty.

I've done this before on recolored T205's. It certainly damages the card, but it gets rid of the offending color. I think of it as accelerated wear. Does anyone think this is unacceptable? To me it's even less egregious than soaking as it isn't really improving the card, if anything you risk significantly lowering the grade, I just can't stand recoloring. Thoughts?

frankbmd 11-28-2017 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 1724440)
I've done this before on recolored T205's. It certainly damages the card, but it gets rid of the offending color. I think of it as accelerated wear. Does anyone think this is unacceptable? To me it's even less egregious than soaking as it isn't really improving the card, if anything you risk significantly lowering the grade, I just can't stand recoloring. Thoughts?

Thoughts

If you are keeping the card and the recoloring makes you puke when you look at it, then maybe okay.

But if you are altering the card for resale, folks might have a problem with that.
They might wonder also about other cards you are selling. Personally I would leave the emery paper in the drawer.

Aquarian Sports Cards 11-28-2017 08:56 AM

Interesting, so removing an alteration intended to defraud, resulting in damage to the card is unacceptable to you. I would assume you are anti-soak as well then? Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I'm not just looking for agreement.

I have only ever sold two cards that I "worked" on and both were disclosed. One was a T205 where I sanded off a recolor and I soaked a T206.

OldOriole 11-28-2017 09:23 AM

cards

I'm OK with removing anything from a card that was not originally intended to be there. This includes recoloring, paper from a scrapbook, etc. There are many opinions, but to me you are just returning it to it's original state and you aren't adding anything to the card.

I'm against adding color, trimming, etc. as these practices are not attempting to return the card to its original state.

Chuck 11-28-2017 05:32 PM

13x21 photos available?

Are the 13x21 photos of the team still out there? And if so, how much do they go for? (Sorry, new collector)

Has anyone ever reprinted the larger photos? They would make great display pieces for the wall.

Chuck Darrah

Aquarian Sports Cards 11-28-2017 05:33 PM

Funny even though I've owned T200's before this was the first time I was wondering the same thing. I certainly have never seen one, but they must be out there somewhere. Anyone have one to share an image?

Bill77 11-28-2017 05:40 PM

I think the corner is just creased and catching the light at a different angle than the rest of the card.

x2drich2000 11-28-2017 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck (Post 1724603)
Are the 13x21 photos of the team still out there? And if so, how much do they go for? (Sorry, new collector)

Has anyone ever reprinted the larger photos? They would make great display pieces for the wall.

Chuck Darrah

The premium photos are out there and come up for sale on occasion through the larger auction houses. Price wise, at a minimum I would say $2500, but more realistically, your probably looking at closer $5k for one in decent shape. I believe Huggins had one in the fall/summer sometime.

DJ

OldOriole 11-28-2017 05:51 PM

T200 Premium

You're right, there was one (New York Giants) in the Huggins & Scott auction that just ended. No bids, but a very rare piece...

http://nov17.hugginsandscott.com/cgi...l?itemid=21975

3-2-count 11-28-2017 05:54 PM

Here you go... (link below)

http://nov17.hugginsandscott.com/cgi...l?itemid=21975

Aquarian Sports Cards 11-28-2017 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill77 (Post 1724607)
I think the corner is just creased and catching the light at a different angle than the rest of the card.

And obviously that's what I'm hoping for. I don't WANT it to be recolored!

ccre 12-01-2017 06:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I've got a Phila Americans Premium. Won it about a year ago for what I thought was a fairly low price. It's in rough shape though. Had it framed so it looks presentable now.

Aquarian Sports Cards 12-01-2017 08:30 PM

Awesome.

Hoped to have my new acquisition at Philly, but alas it may not be there until Sunday.

Koufax32fan 12-02-2017 06:36 PM

Not one of the premiums, but an advertisement - won this from Goldin Auctions in October 2016. Having trouble uploading the photo, but here is a link to the auction: https://goldinauctions.com/LotDetail...entoryid=26564

Aquarian Sports Cards 12-02-2017 08:19 PM

Got the card in today, was indeed just creased/cracked so it caught the light funny. right side is faded a little.

When I get a chance I'll post the insane 2.5 I just got on the nicest T3 I've ever personally seen >sigh<

Leon 12-04-2017 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 1725981)
Got the card in today, was indeed just creased/cracked so it caught the light funny. right side is faded a little.

When I get a chance I'll post the insane 2.5 I just got on the nicest T3 I've ever personally seen >sigh<

That T200 is nice, Scott. We all know the feeling of hoping for a 5-7 grade and getting slammed. It's the way it goes. Nice meeting you at the show too!! I hope the few cards I dropped off for your live auction will be fun to sell off. Good luck with everything.

Aquarian Sports Cards 12-04-2017 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1726316)
That T200 is nice, Scott. We all know the feeling of hoping for a 5-7 grade and getting slammed. It's the way it goes. Nice meeting you at the show too!! I hope the few cards I dropped off for your live auction will be fun to sell off. Good luck with everything.

Leon, thanks for everything, and we did eventually figure out what happened with the T3 and it got the grade it deserved, though it is absolutely stunning for a 2.5. That was a favor for a friend, I just felt bad for him knowing his expectations. Personally I thought it was going to get a "4" and be the nicest "4" I'd ever seen, so you can imagine how nice it is for a 2.5!

Anyway it was great meeting you (and Dan, finally, though we've been in the same room rather often!) and your support means a lot. Hopefully some day you'll get to hear me conduct an auction!

edjs 12-15-2017 03:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I ran across this image today, and since this started out as a Fatima thread, I thought I would show it here. This is not my photo, just something I saw on the internet. How would you guys like to find that poster hanging on the wall of an old shop somewhere?

edjs 12-18-2017 08:24 AM

No one thinks that poster on the wall is cool enough to comment on? Has anyone seen a survivor that they can show a better picture of it?

Leon 12-18-2017 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edjs (Post 1730498)
No one thinks that poster on the wall is cool enough to comment on? Has anyone seen a survivor that they can show a better picture of it?

I think it's a bit too small on the screen to make out. That might be the issue.

Snapolit1 12-18-2017 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1730502)
I think it's a bit too small on the screen to make out. That might be the issue.

Yeah, honestly I have no idea what you are referring to.

Leon 12-18-2017 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1730503)
Yeah, honestly I have no idea what you are referring to.

Me neither. Ed just said there was a Fatima sign there somewhere. It's too small for me to see....

x2drich2000 12-18-2017 08:49 AM

upper left corner above the chair, "tional Winner" "Fatima" is right under "Winner" in white text which makes it hard to read.

edjs 12-18-2017 10:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ah, so no one could see it. Here is a close up.